The Scale Just Won't Budge

Options
Hi Everyone!!
I am utterly frustrated. I've been doing MFP since the end of January and I've only lost 3 pounds. I've increased my actively level to working out 5 to 6 days a week and I'I've been at 218 for the past month now. I' ve been tracking my foods and eating some of my exercise calories. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to give up and I know I will get through this, but has anyone else had this experience. I look at other people's progress and they have lost a significant amounth of weight. That keeps me going. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dancinblonde0099
    dancinblonde0099 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Make sure you don't starve yourself.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    eat more for breakfast. Ask Fear the Fuzzy guy...
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've been on here since December, and I've lost only 4 lbs. I've been stuck between 174 and 178 for MONTHS.
    I even tried Jenny Craig for 4 months and only lost 5 lbs before I joined MFP.
    I obviously don't have the answers for you (lol) - but it sounds like you're making some healthy changes and that's a great thing - we're committing to a lifestyle change and changing our habits is the hardest part!!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend - you're SO NOT ALONE :)

PS - I've also started taking measurements, and this month I lost 2 inches around my middle (yet my weight has remained the same). Sometimes our bodies are tricky things :)

Keep it up!!!
  • gailwyn
    gailwyn Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been having the same thing happen to me too. Its really disheartening and makes it really tempting to quit. But keep on keepin on and I'm sure it will move eventually.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Along with the last post, yes, make sure you are eating enough but it is also important to get your calories from "clean" healthy food. The more you exercise the more you need to eat to compensate or the scale will not move. You also should be drinking a MINIMUM of 10 glasses of water each day based on your weight.

If you make a few adjustments to your food plan, and get in more water you should see some results.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake? Are you eating some of your exercise calories?
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure you're eating enough and eating healthy food - try to stay away from the processed foods that have lots of sodium/fat/sugar/bad things.

Try to not do the same workout too often, make sure to switch up your workouts or you sort of "get used" to them. Try adding in some weight training or classes like zumba or kickboxing. (or just get a video for at home if you are uncoordinated like me!)

Keep with it for a while and if it gets to be a few months, maybe a visit to the doc might be in order. Even if there's nothing "wrong" they'll be able to shed some more light on the situation! Good luck and keep working at it!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting any better? Remember a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat so if you are exercising, your scales may not be budging but your body fat and measurements may be changing. There are scales that measure your body fat. I have found that they usually aren't more than 1-2% different than other types of body fat tests. If you are losing fat and gaining muslce this would let you know. Make sure you are drinking enough water, Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day and you should never eat within 3 hours of going to bed. Remember to track your measurements and not just your weight. I always averaged 125 pounds and wore a size 7/8. I began walking and went UP to 145 pounds and DOWN to a size 1. Good Luck. Hope one of these hints helps.
  • curlygirlyful
    Options
    Thanks for the imput everyone. I have been taking measurements and I do see that my body fat is definitally going down. I weight train 3-4 times a week and am running now that the weather is getting better. I will try to watch my sodium intake. Someone wrote not to eat 3 hours before bed. That will be tough. I have dinner pretty late (around 7:30 to 8). I usually go to bed around 11. Maybe I will try and eat dinner a little earlier. Also I never thought of having my breakfast be the biggest meal of the day. Thanks everyone for the response!!!
  • silverfoxl
    silverfoxl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have the same problem. Did you try adjusting your foods? Sometimes when your eating pattern is the same you're body gets used to it and you can't lose the weight. It works for me sometimes. I find that no matter how much I exercise, if I don't watch my foods, I won't lose the weight. I hope this helps.