Phentermine

Options
Has anyone tried this? My doctor just put me on this and I don't know anything about it...

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while, and got pregnant on it. I lost the baby at 5 months. I think the phen had something to do with it. So be careful. It will make you feel hyper for a while, then you get use it. Basically its an appetite suppressant with a metabolism booster.
  • tkimbre2
    tkimbre2 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have taken it twice. It works, but if you're not careful when you come off of it, you will gain it all back plus some. You really have to stick to a diet/exercise regime to be successful with it! Even though you aren't hungry, eat a little something any way so your metabolism doesn't slow down!
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i did 2 years ago lost 25lbs in 3 months or so than stopped and gained 40lbs
    I t controlled my hunger so much I forgot what it was to be hungry ---than when that feeling came back i became a PIG :*((((
  • goldsguy
    goldsguy Posts: 58
    Options
    Why is this medication prescribed?

Phentermine is used for a limited period of time to speed weight loss in overweight people who are exercising and eating a low-calorie diet. . Phentermine is in a class of medications called anorectics. It works by decreasing appetite.
    How should this medicine be used?

Phentermine comes as tablets and extended-release capsules. It usually is taken as a single daily dose in the morning or three times a day 30 minutes before meals. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take phentermine exactly as directed.

Most people takephentermine for 3-6 weeks; the length of treatment depends on how you respond to the medication. Phentermine can be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or take it for a longer period than your doctor tells you to.

If you are taking the extended-release (long-acting) tablets, do not split, chew, or crush them tablet. There are some tablets that can be crushed and mixed with food
  • michelle277
    Options
    I take it once a day and it works great for me. Never hungry, not jittery at all, and I have energy, but not bouncing off the walls. I've never took any pills for weight loss prior to this because I was always scared of how it would affect me, but I can honestly say I feel normal on this and I've lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks. :)
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! I took it and gained so much weight after I got off. It's a good diet pill but not worth what comes after. Whatever you weigh now add about 20-30lbs to it. Take it from me do it with eating right and exercise. It's slow coming off but it a life time change.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just healthy diet and exercise first without it? I mean like really tried and stuck to it? It scares me. This is why I personally wouldnt use it:

Phentermine is a supplement medication used along with diet and exercise to reduce weight when you are obese. The National Library of Medicine says that typical dosage is 37.5mg of phentermine (1 capsule) daily prior to breakfast or 1 to 2 hours after breakfast. There are specific health dangers associated with phentermine of which users should be aware.
    Pulmonary Hypertension

The National Library of Medicine says that pulmonary hypertension is a condition in which the force of blood pressing against the blood vessels in your lung is very high. This condition has been reported with phentermine use. Symptoms of this condition include shortness of breath, intermittent chest pain (angina pectoris), fainting (syncope) and leg or feet swelling. The Mayo Clinic says you can develop fatigue, a blue hue (cyanosis) to your skin and a very fast pulse (tachycardia), as well.

A variety of medications are able to treat pulmonary hypertension. Blood vessel dilators such as epoprostenol widen your narrowed vessels to allow more blood flow through your vessels. Endothelin receptor antagonists such as bosentan block the ability of endothelin (substance that constricts your blood vessels) from binding to its specified receptor. Abrisentan, like bosentan, also promotes blood vessel dilation.

Heart Valvular Diseases

Phentermine can increase your risk of developing heart valve diseases. Your heart valves' job description is to regulate the blood flowing through your heart. Sometimes, this valve may become calcified. In other cases, it can become weak and disrupt the direction of your heart's blood flow. According to the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, symptoms of heart valve disease include fatigue, trouble breathing and swelling of your stomach, ankles and feet. Sometimes, you may experience chest pain, an irregular heartbeat, dizziness or fainting.

Your doctor can prescribe medications to treat or prevent heart failure, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and irregular heartbeats. In severe cases, your doctor may recommend that your heart valve be repaired or even replaced.
    Other Health Dangers

The National Library of Medicine says that phentermine can also cause dry mouth, tremors, trouble sleeping, restlessness, a headache and dizziness. Phentermine's other health risks include diarrhea and constipation.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/73132-health-dangers-phentermine/#ixzz1HHOh7a1V
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    The difference between the hard way and the easy way is that the hard way works.~~~Terry Pratchett
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well first, if you're starting to take any kind of medication prescribed to you by your doctor, your doctor should explain it fully to you, and let you know what the risks are, and what to expect. If I were you, I would give him/her a call as soon as you can so you can get your facts..

I was on it for a little while last year, though. It definitely helps boost initial weight loss, but it isn't magic, nor a miracle pill. You will have to stick to a healthy diet and workout program while taking it to see real results with it. Also, should you decide to come off the pill, you will have to be very strict with yourself, and continue your work outs and healthy eating, or yes, you will most likely gain some of/all of the weight back. And in unfortunate cases, some people even become heavier than before they started with the pills.

The pills are really expensive though, so in my opinion it's really not worth it, especially not for long term use. And actually, it's advised to take interval breaks without the pill, because your body will become used to it and you will no longer feel it's effects. This is something you will need to discuss with your doctor.

All in all it's a good catalyst for starting a weight loss journey. But phentermine itself won't actually cause you to lose weight. The weight loss results most people see with the pill(particularly those that gain weight after taking the pill) is merely caused by them not eating, because of how effective the phentermine is in suppressing appetite. Then once they're appetite comes backs when they go off the pills, they don't know how to to stop, because you forget what it's like to feel full. Which is where learning how to eat a smart and balanced diet WHILE you're on the pill becomes essentially important, as does exercising regularly.
  • michelle277
    Options
    Completely agreed with the last post. It has worked great for me....however, I stick to 1200-1300 calories per day and do cardio for 60 minutes 5-6 times a week. It helps me to not be hungry as much....but, I still work hard for my results! :)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It is banned here. I was given Merdia instead and at first it helped but MFP helped me a lot more.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    If your doctor recommended it ... I am sure he knows your medical history and blood pressure etc. I think if you use it as a tool and aid ..... and not a crutch you will be fine. Eat the right stuff and develop good habits that you can do for life ... I think we have to look at it as a new way to eat ... just by finding new foods or ways of making our old favorites healthy. If you are eating things you do not like .. you will not be successful in the long run.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    I have been taking it for the last 2 1/2 months along with exercising, reduced caloric intake and journalling everything that I eat. I would not be able to take it if I hadn't already started a healthy life style. I stopped taking it for a couple of weeks and still was able to contol my apetite because I was exercising and still had plenty of Cals to eat to meat the 1200 net min. here. Make sure that you keep your journal going.. I have gone back on it for one more month to help with cravings because I have quit smoking. I will go back to my Dr for a check up and to let her know how that is working for me.... Have a plan...
  • aftoncorinne
    aftoncorinne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using phetermie on and off for the last 3 years. I have lost 140+ lbs. Its a great booster when you are stuck. I have been unable to loose weight both on and off Phentermine but I have never gained any weight back (even if all the haters promise you will) Like any other weight loss aide phentermine is only a tool to help you choose to make lifestyle changes. That being said... I LOVE IT!!! Kinda like an old friend who helps me alone when i feel like i cant make it anymore :)
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Got jittery, cotton mouth, dizzy, light headed... Took it one day and felt naseous i thought i was going to die...
  • aftoncorinne
    aftoncorinne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you definitly feel it... but after a few days it is not so bad.... and in a few weeks you dont even notice.... besides that wacky feeling is how you know its working :)
  • PeaceMe
    PeaceMe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CPresley03
    CPresley03 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm also taking Phentermine. Once a day. I took it a couple of years ago as well and had great success and was able to keep the weight off and maintain for a 2 years until I found out I pregnant. Everyone is different when it comes to the side effects. When it's almost time to come off the pill ween slowly and stick with a good diet and you will be fine!!
  • CPresley03
    CPresley03 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have been using phetermie on and off for the last 3 years. I have lost 140+ lbs. Its a great booster when you are stuck. I have been unable to loose weight both on and off Phentermine but I have never gained any weight back (even if all the haters promise you will) Like any other weight loss aide phentermine is only a tool to help you choose to make lifestyle changes. That being said... I LOVE IT!!! Kinda like an old friend who helps me alone when i feel like i cant make it anymore :)

I love that you posted this!! So true!!!