Snacking TOO MUCH!!!

Options
I seem to be eating too many calories on snacks. I work in an office and most of my workouts are done on my lunch break with a co-worker. We both seem to snack WAY too much, and while we're trying to snack on veggies, hummus, nuts, yogurt...it always seems to eat up most of my daily calories...
Any advice on snacks that are low calorie, healthy and FILLING?!?!

Replies

• sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem on the weekends - I barely snack at all - I think it's the desk job :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem- no trouble during the weekend, then divebomb over the weekend. Healthy filling snacks I enjoy are almonds and popcorn. Good luck!
  • NinaP2013
    NinaP2013 Posts: 30
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER!!!
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ...and GUM! :)
  • GraciellaEsther
    Options
    Try a good size apple. Only 80 calories! But solid, good for you, sweet, and filling!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I second the water and gum suggestion. Although not too much gum, it tends to have a laxative effect ;)
  • AnnieBerg
    AnnieBerg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein. Filling and lasts longer. I also snack more at work than I do on the weekends at home. I make sure I write it ALL down...and keep it real. My afternoon snack is typically a 1/2 C of lowfat cottage cheese mixed with a container of Light Yoplait yogurt. 190 calories but it will last me a couple of hours until dinner. :) Good luck!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    apples
    salsa and chips not to much
    pop corn
    when all else fails I fix a salad and use it as a snack
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    WATER should be drank each time you go for a snack. Drink about 4 oz..you will eat less food and drink more water!

After that...I like to mix it up. I love eating a few almonds with dark chocolate - yum!

For time consuming snacks - pistachios in the shell are good cause you have to shell them. Just watch your servings ( I put mine in small snack baggies with 1 serving in it).

The fiber one oat bars seem to fill me up.

Also cheese (like string cheese) and some wheat thins or an apple are good.

I love bananas or apples with peanut butter .
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do this at night. Snack way too much. However, I plan for it and count it in my calories. Twizzlers, popcorn an orange and a movie is just right to a days end. :)
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese because I pull it apart string by string and it takes a while to eat. :) I also like the Wrigleys' dessert gums...mint chocolate chip is awesome. And of course, plenty of cold water bottles!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    A cold Fuji apple sliced into a bunch of thin slices--makes me feel like I am eating it for a LONG time. And for some reason, it is more satisfying to me if it is cold.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    Ditto on the water, I just had a major craving for snacks earlier. I ate an apple with peanut butter and a greek yogurt, yet I was still hungry! Then I grabbed a bottle of water and sipped on it until dinner =)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your snacks are okay, and maybe it's just your portion sizes that need to be adjusted. Suggestion: pre-measure your snacks into individual portion sizes and allow specific times for your snacks instead of random eating. Otherwise, I'm not sure you won't do the same thing with some other types of snacks.

However, you did ask and so far you've gotten some pretty good answers. However, I'd like to add (with correct portion sizes):

100g fat-free and sugar-free yogurt with 8 almonds
    2 tbsp hummus (or other low-fat bean dip) and 1/2 cup raw veggies (preferably broccoli, cauliflower & celery - less sugar than carrots)
    1 small apple or 1 small banana with 1 tbsp peanut butter
    1-2 Wasa crisp bread cracker(s) with 1 tbsp almond or peanut butter
    1 boiled egg and 1/2 cup of raw veggie sticks
    1/2 cup cooked slow-cooking oats with 1/2 scoop protein powder
    1/2 an egg salad sandwich on multigrain bread made with no-fat dressing and lots of sprouts or dark leafy greens
    1 cup of bean or lentil vegetable soup
    1/2 scoop of protein powder in an 8 oz glass of unsweetened juice with 1 tbsp psyllium powder
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    well technically, the ideal is 5 - 6 small meals each day, around 200 cals each, so if you're snacking around every 2 - 3 hours it may not be that bad...
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Ok but your always under I dint get it
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guess I just wanted opinions about healthier, more filling options - I feel like I'm always HUNGRY, but I think it could be just habit???

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!! These are great!!!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great snack ideas!