Sabotage

Options
So, I posted this already on my blog but my sister-in-law suggested posting it in here for suggestions and feedback. =)

I feel like I am constantly sabotaging myself. Every time I feel like I'm making some progress, I'll eat something unhealthy, like cookies or ice cream. And I realize that this isn't something that is necessarily a bad thing; to eat in moderation. But it's something that I'll do constantly. I feel like if I actually meet my goal then I won't know who I am anymore. Or if I fail I'll have no one to blame but myself.

Any suggestions for not sabotaging?

Replies

• magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. I have started buying lower calorie treats for when I know I WANT an extra snack. I also only have an extra treat when I know I'm well under for my daily calories.

As far as feeling like you won't know who you are...I have the same problem, but then I think about how much better I feel emotionally now that I have lost a few pounds. I also think about how my endurance has changed since I have been going to the gym on a regular basis.

Think about why you are trying to lose some weight, and if you want to, buy yourself a goal outfit, or reward yourself with a small treat on days you go to the gym. Whatever works for you!

Feel free to friend me if you'd like. :flowerforyou:
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    When I started off I threw out all of the really bad snacky stuff that I knew would derail me if I had it in the house. But I had to be realistic. I like to snack. I bought other snacks that wouldn't undo my week. Sugar free pudding cups, fidgicles, veggie straws, animal crackers, apples, vitatops, etc. I also measured out portions so I wouldn't overdue it. Then I allowed one meal a week of something "bad" if I was really good all week (ie Chinese). I never felt deprived. Just what worked for me.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi-self destructive person myself. I tend to trip myself if I've been going too long on the right path. One of the big things I did was instead of buying ice cream for at home in the freezer, I buy Kemps No Fat Frozen yogurt. The stuff is excellent (I bought the chocolate one once, and gave it to my 4 year old as chocolate ice cream and she didn't notice any difference in taste), and it's only 90 cal per serving. That way when I have one of those days where I feel compelled to eat a big ol' bowl of ice cream, I eat that. even though I'm doing a double serving, it's only 180 cals (which is less than twice the cals in a small cup of regular light yogurt). Another idea, if there's a fruit you really like (i love berries), get the frozen bag of it, throw some in your blender with some 2% (or skim if that's your preference) milk and some ice to make yourself a milk shake.

I've found that the best way to get around these self destructive moments is to find something not as bad for you that still tastes as bad for you to substitute. Hope this helps :)

-Spayrroe
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have done this before as well. What helped me was just changing my outlook. Instead of saying oh I am doing so well I can eat something bad I force myself to say I need to keep going this is working! It also helps to keep a focus on what my "ultimate" goal is.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    you are right you will not know who you are. you will know who you WERE and have to learn who you BECAME. that is not a bad thing durring this life change you should have learned how to leave the fat person things, food, mindset...etc... behind and learn a whole new set of things. i realy cant waight till this time comes when i can stop the weight loss part and start the loving me the new me. the me that can run jump jog breath walk and fit into thing i never thought i could. i hopr this helps..
  • CharleneJ14
    CharleneJ14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions! i feel better now. i'm going to start using the community more for support =)