going over your calories on the weekend

Options
msk4
msk4 Posts: 10 Member
Does anyone else go over their calories on the weekend? My husband and I always go to the same mexican rest. on saturday nights. I can't help but eat cheese dip and beer. I do well the other days of the week. At least one day of the week I do badly. Is that stopping me from losing weight.? I try to work out at least 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    me too!!!!!!!!!! I bartend and always end up drinking all weekend!!!!!!!!! Was 127 Friday- 128.6 todaY =(
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    yummm cheese dip and beer *drooling*
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over on calories on the weekends. Whether that's okay or not depends on your goals. It's going to slow down your progress, depending on how much over you're going. You don't have to be perfect every day. It's cumulative. If you go over by 500 calories on the weekend, then the following weekdays try and make up for those 500 calories. It's all balance.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I get the opposite on weekends - First I sleep in (usually get up @ 5 for work, and about 9 on weekends), then I'm so busy I hardly eat compared to the rest of the week
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least one day a week when I go over. The question is, how close to your weigh in day is your "over" day? I would make sure that I weigh in on Saturday morning...BEFORE I know I'm going to overindulge so I have more time to work it off during the week.
  • eouimet
    eouimet Posts: 29
    Options
    me too!!!!!!!!!! I bartend and always end up drinking all weekend!!!!!!!!! Was 127 Friday- 128.6 todaY =(

seriously same exact thing happend to me grrrrrrr
  • tlnester
    tlnester Posts: 34
    Options
    I always go over on the weekend, but try to make up for it the rest of the week!
  • msk4
    msk4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!! This is such a great website. Everyone is so helpful to each other. Its great!
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do this nearly every weekend if I have been out lol, If I don't go over, It's probably because I didn't log my food properly cause I was hungover, and I tend to slack on the exercise on a weekend also.... I'm so naughty!

The weekends where I stay in I am a goody-two-shoes (normally!)!!

I'm not one of these people who can give up all of the bad stuff, mainly cause I just don't want to lol :)
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    (Disclaimer: I'm no expert - so keep that in mind as you read this)

I think that it's a matter of degree. A couple of hundred over on one day won't really hurt...but it might slow down your results if it's a regular thing. If you're binging - a thousand + cals over - that can't work out too well.

If you go over on a couple of days, but are under on others, then the average for the week will be as planned. That happens all the time to me. I actually have intentionally done this recently, to see if it would break my "plateau" - which it did.
  • ajotehan
    ajotehan Posts: 2
    Options
    It's smart to allow yourself a break once in a while. No one can keep up the perfect diet all the time; you're more likely to crash and burn. Don't feel guilty, just let yourself indulge. And I agree with @mauryr, this may even help you break a plateau. Just don't gorge yourself.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have the app on my phone so when Saturday (date night) comes around or any other time we eat out, I log everything right then. I try to get my NET as close to my 1250 goal as possible but have been under all week. I wanted to be extra efficient last night and see how many calories I had to make up for, for coming in under goal. It was an extra 259, which meant extra wine, which was a baaad idea haha.
  • jalleven
    jalleven Posts: 1
    Options
    Of course going over calories slows down your progress and sets you back. But if you don' t want to constantly feel like every week you have to make up for the weekend, I suggest to try to limit yourself to the cheese dip and beer every OTHER weekend. that way you have a week in there where you aren't making up for your "treats" to yourself on the weekend and actually feel like you are making progress. Thats what I do and it helps me feel like I'm not totally a stickler, party pooper and can go out and give myself a treat yet I also don't feel as though I'm not accomplishing anything with my diet. Plus, I try to remember that the goal calories means your losing weight but if you check your settings for what your daily calories burned are, like for me 1200 means I'm losing 1.3 a week but I CAN eat 1630 without gaining anything. so sometimes on the weekends I just remember those 400 calories that mean i'm atleast not backtracking.
  • mkskippy24
    Options
    I do! I allow myself one day to indulge in things I wouldn't normally consume. And I don't track the calories so much. The thing is.... this is a lifestyle change for me. And for me, it's unrealistic in life that i'll never indulge in some foods that aren't the healthiest and lowest in calories.

Therefore.... I allow myself one day a week to relax, and usually i only eat one meal in that day that would be considered tabu for me normally. And it keeps me focused the rest of the week and much much happier!

OH, and I lost 1.8pounds this week, so I don't feel it takes away from my weight loss too much.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    the weekend is the worst for me! I'm so busy playing catch up that i either don't eat all day then gorge myself at night, or i graze all day! it sucks! And for me there is no balance. I need to stop doing this because Monday is my weigh in day. I need to switch it to Thursday so if i do binge on the weekend, i can make up for it during the week.
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    IMO I wouldn't go to that place until you are sure you can control yourself..it's just like not buying junk food to me. . . But wowzers, drinking ruins it ALL LOL I drank this past friday and i have to have a Mcd's sandwich the morning after--hangover cure...this past I also happened to have my every few weeks mommy get away when my future ex has the kids at my place...i go to a hotel for total relaxation...I DID not eat well at all there...next time I will do better.