Donating Blood and Exercise!

Options
I have an appointment to go donate blood today and I was wondering, what sort of exercise I can be doing after donation?

Donation tends to make me just a little bit woozey for the first day, after which I feel fine! Should I cut my hour and a half walk back to an hour or... Should I just wait until tomorrow to exercise again?

Replies

• FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recommend waiting until tomorrow--but you might ask while you are donating what they recommend. I know I feel light headed sometimes while donating and immediately after so I always skip that day to let my body readjust.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I have no idea! Definitely make sure you eat well before donating and drink lots of water after.

I'll be donating soon & never thought about it. :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    take the day off you earned it. I would even be sure to take in extra fluids before working out tomorrow too.

Last time I gave blood they told me it actually increases the amount of calories your body burns because it is replenishing your blood supply.
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    Yeah you're probably right. I might take one dog (the one that WONT try to pull my arm off the moment I open to gate). For a light half an hour walk but no uphill battles or jogging.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You could do a light walk just to get some sort of activity in...that is after you have waited a bit, eaten something and gotten back to normal. Wouldn't want you to trip on the sidewalk and fall down! :bigsmile:
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm due to give again in April, so I'm interested in seeing what responses you get.

I don't tend to feel woozy after donation, but I'll probably cut my routine back from running to just walking and maybe some strength training. Or take a day off if I feel bad.
  • ajotehan
    ajotehan Posts: 2
    Options
    Good plan. Keep it light, take some water with you on the walk. And great job for donating!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You should not exercize after donating blood. You will be instructed of that during your visit. It is very important that you get plenty of fluids and rest after donating blood so that your body can replace what was given.

Thanks for donating!!!
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    Ohh dear! We don't have a side walk here in rural Australia! No no :P Just grass on the side of the road.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ohh dear! We don't have a side walk here in rural Australia! No no :P Just grass on the side of the road.

LOL in NYC we have no grass on the sides of the road!
  • fab4runner
    fab4runner Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do anything strenuous whatsoever. I've donated blood many times and they recommend taking it easy for 24 hours. An easy walk would be fine but don't do anything more than that. I always try to work out before I donate if I can help it.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do anything strenuous whatsoever. I've donated blood many times and they recommend taking it easy for 24 hours. An easy walk would be fine but don't do anything more than that. I always try to work out before I donate if I can help it.

This one - my husband donates regularly and this is what they tell him every time.