Salad dressing

DEE4560
DEE4560 Posts: 139
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
Any suggestions on a good low calorie salad dressing worth using towards calories. I find myself avoiding calories because of the calories.

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Newmans Own Light Balsamic.....
  • DEE4560
    Any suggestions on a good low calorie salad dressing worth using towards calories. I find myself avoiding calories because of the calories.

sorry I meant avoiding salads because of the calories in salad dressing
  • catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    I like to make my own using greek yogurt, fat free buttermilk, and a little ranch dry mix. It does the job for me for under 40 calories per serving. And I like a good bit of dressing on my salad.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    I am not a big HFCS fan, but I love the balsamic vinaigrette and Italian vinaigrette spray/spritzer dressings. I really enjoy how they give a little flavor to a nice, big salad vs just coating it in creamy, fatty dressing. I believe they are 1 calorie per spray also...I use between 5-10 sprays on a chargrilled salad from Chickfila and it is wonderful!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    I use the Make-it-yourself "Good Seasons Italian Dressing- Fat Free" I use different flavored vinegars, and use that stuff daily on my sandwiches and my veggies throughout the day. Its 10 calories per 2 Tbs!!
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Try one of the many recipes for vinegrette dressings - i.e. dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, etc.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    I just use a tiny bit of olive oil (like a teaspoon or less) and balsamic vinegar. If you don't need a creamy dressing, the vinegar will give you all the flavor and moisture you need. The olive oil is just there to help you absorb the nutrients in the veggies. Good luck!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 333 Member
    I love Zesty Fat Free Italian Dressing & Kraft Light Raspberry Vinaigrette.
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    For a while I was using 2tbsp Cain's Fat Free Blush Wine Vinaigrette for taste and using regular vinegar make the salad wet enough to my liking. I've recently switched over to mixing vinegar, cayenne pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, a few tsp of mustard and a tiny bit of sugar/sweetener (literally less than 1/4 tsp). Pretty much calorie free and not bad on the sodium front :)
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    I make my own ranch with the Hidden Valley seasoning using skim milk, Kraft mayo with olive oil and light sour cream. (I like using half mayo and half sour cream better than just the mayo and it's less calories.) With full mayo with olive oil it's 53 calories for 2TBS, I havent figured it for the half light sour cream yet, but it's less b/c the sour cream has less calories than the mayo. I LOVE ranch, but hate the Fat free versions, so this is the best option for me.
  • can you give the exact measurements of your recipe i would love to try it!!! i find myself avoiding salads as well because of the dressing
  • DandyFanny
    DandyFanny Posts: 5 Member
    I find experimenting with different spices is really yummy and avoids all the calories.
  • I like to make my own using greek yogurt, fat free buttermilk, and a little ranch dry mix. It does the job for me for under 40 calories per serving. And I like a good bit of dressing on my salad.

can you give the exact measurements of your recipe i would love to try it!!! i find myself avoiding salads as well because of the dressing :wink:
  • catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    I like to make my own using greek yogurt, fat free buttermilk, and a little ranch dry mix. It does the job for me for under 40 calories per serving. And I like a good bit of dressing on my salad.

can you give the exact measurements of your recipe i would love to try it!!! i find myself avoiding salads as well because of the dressing :wink:

I use one single serving of plain greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of fat free buttermilk, and 1 1/2 TBLS of Ranch dry mix. It makes enough for 6 of my dinner sized salads. :)
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    I like Bolthouse Farms yogurt honey mustard dressing...45 calories for 2 tbsp. it's yummy
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    i prefer asian style dressings which are usually based on rice vinegar, and taste light and refreshing.

my fave is japanese carrot and ginger dressing, followed by the dressing typically used in chinese chicken salads. you can find great recipes for these online
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    I LOVE Kens Steakhouse Light Honey Mustard Spray! 10 sprays = 15 calories!! It's awesome
  • DEE4560
    Thanks everyone I will try some of these ideas and maybe start having some salads again. I have been using Miracle light which has 20 calories in a tbsp.
This discussion has been closed.