Gluten Allergy

Options
I have a gluten allergy and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers. Alot of the gluten free items are VERY high in calories.

Replies

• MallRatMeg
    Options
    For breakfast, Gluten Free Rice Chex cereal is very filling and yummy and doesn't have that many calories.
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a Celiac also. :) Go us! I use a lot of glutino products, they have pretzles and breakfast bars that are very reasonable. Chex has rice and corn cereal that is low in calories. Also Mrs .Leepers has great pasta products, their corn spaghetti is to DIE for and it's reasonable in the calorie department. Udi's breads is the BEST GF bread on the market right now and it's 180 calories for 2 pieces. :) Hope this helps!! Feel free to msg me if you have any more GF questions! I've been a celiac for almost 8 years now.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try making as much as you can from scratch, that way you can control it...there are some really good recipes out there. Lots of lean protein, fruits and veggies of course is always good. I know it's tough (and expensive)--I was an "honorary celiac" for a while when my sis-in-law was undergoing tests for it. Hang in there!

If you have FB, there are many different pages on there for support and tips. Good luck!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The Glutino spinach & feta pizza only has 300 calories - I really enjoy those. But for the most part, the real stuff (that contains gluten) is high in calories too. I'd suggest just skipping the bread part of the meal - a hot dog or burger without the bun, the fajita meat and veggies without the tortilla, ham/turkey/cheese roll-ups without the sandwich bread.

For other ideas, try Googling low glycemic index foods - these are great for maximizing weight loss and most of them will not contain gluten because much of the foods made with wheat are pretty high g-i.
  • Vqueen
    Vqueen Posts: 13
    Options
    Me too, So for protein shakes I use Ultra Plan ultimate natural whey I buy at Hi-Health online or at the store when I'm in AZ ,Rice and corn chex, Lots of turkey, chicken, fish and for veggies you can't go wrong with fresh and frozen veggies...The thing with gluten issues is really to get back to how food is meant to be eaten and try to get away from anything prepackaged. And yes that might mean making your own condiments as well....Good Luck
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    Check out my diary. I have Celiac and I am very careful of what I eat. If you have any specific questions, please ask. I often feel like I am a fountain of useless knowledge when it comes to gluten stuff. Maybe I will be a fountain of useful knowledge. :)