Does anyone drink alcohol on the weekends and still lose wei

Options
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone still has drinks on the weekends and still loses weight. Not necessarily binge drinking on Friday and Saturday but just having a few. I am in college right now so sometimes, like 1-2 a week I will go out with my friends. I have started to drink MGD 64 and I think it has helped. However, I didn't know if anyone drank regular light beer like Miller Lite and still saw results. This past weekend I went to a concert and family was down here and I gained a pound (which isn't that bad) but still disappointing.

Any advice for me would be great :)

Jessica

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    In our home, we regularly have a glass of wine or Guinness with our meals, not just on weekends. Not all the time, but once or twice a week. I just log the calories and move on.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I do, probably more than I should, lol. But I've still managed to lose. Maybe not as much as I would have without it, but I want to make this into a viable lifestyle, not a draconian plan that I'll eventually fall off of. So far I'm down about 12 lbs in about 4 months--not as much as I'd like, but as long as it keeps up, acceptable, I feel...
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yep. But I factor it all in. I drink "Skinny B*tches", Vodka and Diet coke, sometimes several a weekend. THey cost 60 calories so it's not that hard to plan for. I haven't had a week when I haven't lost weight. I average about 1200 net caloriesa day, even on weekends. I would try to ration your calories, and make sure you are hitting your net calorie goal.
  • Foutlaw77
    Foutlaw77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do! I switched to Corona light.......log the calories and drink lots of water, too!
  • JD1805
    JD1805 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have and do. I actually had a throw back to my 20's one of the weekends and i lost weight from that weekend. I worked out and cut calories to try to make up for it but still went over. But i drank and I lost. :)
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine! just make sure you log it. Hell when I was last fit and active, I drank all the time. (I worked in a nightclub so pretty much all my friends drank) Since I've moved and became lazy, rarely drank and that is when I put on the weight ha
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The last few weekends I have been out of town and so have not logged food or, really, censored my food / alcohol intake. It was still within reason but, yes, I had a few each weekend and still lost 1 - 2 pounds per week. The rest of the week I was very "good" and also exercised a *lot.* But it has worked out for me and, quite frankly, it's been rather nice living this way. :smile:

Good luck to you.
  • Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    I think you can every now and then, but just always remember how much faster it would come off if you didn't drink. When I was in college my friends and I spent two months NOT drinking before spring break and the weight seemed to fall off. But then spring break came and we were back to drinking :)
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm in college and a pretty big party girl. I have nights were I end up drinking tons of beer and a few shots or mixed drinks. I still have lost weight. It wasn't until I went out of control with eating that I didnt see any weightloss.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Like another poster said, I just log the calories and move on. I don't even bother with the light calorie stuff. If I know I'm going to want a drink at a hockey game or something and I know it's 170 calories, I make sure I have room for it in my diary. Same goes if I have friends over or if I know I'm going out to dinner. Planning ahead is key. I've heard a few people say that it has hindered their weight-loss, but I haven't noticed any thing like that for myself. I'm not willing to cut out alcohol completely. I just think it's unnecessary.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking during the weekends lately and I have definately noticed a hault in my weight loss, more due to the fact that I like to snack on unhealthy foods while drinking. Ugh. I am going to try and stop all together but when I cant get around it I am going to stick to Budweiser select 55. (55 calories and only 2 carbs per bottle.) Not too shabby!! I just found it and it is way better then taking down all those calorie sugar filled fruity drinks.:drinker:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I never logged alcohol, as I know that is not something I am going to give up easily. I drink maybe one or twice a week. I have not really seen any weight loss problems, as I stick to my 1200 calorie diet pretty closely, and by the end of the week, usually those calorie not eaten are more than enough to take on the alcohol. I am a Guinness Drinker, so I dont drink my beers as quickly as most people drink light beers (Well, I should say I can drink it super fast, but the taste is so wonderful, I drink it slower). I think it depends on your lifestyle if it is something you want to do. Im a social creature who loves my karaoke bars, so drinking just kind of comes with it. No need to do it do it an access though.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tend to go out and have a drink or 2 on the weekends...or sometimes more. hahaha I dont worry about the calories, since mine are all mixed drinks and I know they are going to go up there, so I try to stick with simple rum and cokes. I just make sure I drink a ton of water in the midst of drinking alcohol, and also make sure I dont snack on unhealthy food during. I also make sure I have enough calories left in my day to use for drinking. I've always managed to stay under my calorie limit and still lose weight.
  • fatgirllittlesuit
    fatgirllittlesuit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Budweiser 55 Select is my choice when out with friends. I have not gained weight from the beer but noticed increased appetite the day after and it's hard not to indulge in everything I crave. I stay away from the mixed drinks now because of the outrageous calories.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drink. and ive been doing mfp for a month ish and have lost 6 pounds. not giving up my booze. I drink maybe 2 beers a night and rum and diet coke or shots with a diet soda backer when im gona party. I plan the cals out a head of time if I know im gona party i eat lightly.

its been working for me.
  • jess_steich7
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. It makes me feel a lot better to know that I can still go out and enjoy my social lifestyle without doing much damage :)
  • kylemroach
    kylemroach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get as wasted as I can on the weekends. I don't eat all weekend, and normally lose 5 pounds
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    @jess_steich7 I normally drink a couple of pints over the weekend and have lost almost 40lbs whilst I've been doing this, the pound you gained was likely just water retention from the alcohol as you tend to become dehydrated and your body holds on to more fluid than usual. To gain a pound of fat you would need to consume approximately 3500 calories above you maintenance intake. So unless you did that, don't worry about it.

The biggest issue for most people when it comes to drinking and weight loss, is that they will eat more as a result, either because they are out with friends and maybe eating higher calorie meals or as a result of hangover comfort eating.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I drink SOMETHING most nights of the week. Not much, maybe a beer or a glass of wine, and I've had no issue losing. Surpassed my goal and lost 13lbs in 9 weeks.

Just make sure you log what you drink. And be aware that you may be hungrier after drinking (and thought impaired) and that you will need to fight the urge to eat more.