Breastfeeding Moms - Growth Spurts?

MaKisMom
MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
My baby is just about 3 months and I'm pretty sure he's going through a growth spurt. He's eating almost hourly during the day. I am extra hungry because of it. Would you add in extra calories during a growth spurt since you're producing more milk? I add in an extra 300/day generally because of breastfeeding, but I'm wondering if, until he's through this, I should add more?

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    oh thats the monster growth spurt, my daughter's lasted about a month! I couldnt diet when i was breastfeeding so kudos to you for trying. I found that i was constantly hungry. maybe you could try upping your intake of fruit and veg during this time? so healthy calories rather than empty calories like junk?
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Generally for babies less than 6 months or exclusively breastfed they recommend 500 extra calories daily, so I would definitely do more if I were you. I do 300 extra daily and my baby is down to only 4 nursing sessions now.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Don't forget also to increase your water/fluid intake
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    I always added an additional 500 calories daily while I was breastfeeding. Growth Spurt or not! :) I nursed two little ones, both for about a year!
  • MaKisMom
    Thanks for the advice. He's my 3rd, I breastfed both of my older ones for just over a year each. I wasn't really counting calories with #1, and with #2 I didn't start until after the 3mo mark. Maybe I'll change it to 500 cal just to be safe.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Yes, yes and yes!

I remember being SO hungry during the first 6 months of my babies life--- yes, I would add extra calories... My problem was I chose the WRONG things to eat... so, my suggestion would be to eat yogarts, fruits, and veggies--- stay clear of chips, cookies, fast food etc....

Also, I started walking the baby and that helped shed some pounds while spending time with the baby.

Kudos for breastfeeding, I BF my baby for 15 months and had a really awesome experience :)
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Thanks for the advice. He's my 3rd, I breastfed both of my older ones for just over a year each. I wasn't really counting calories with #1, and with #2 I didn't start until after the 3mo mark. Maybe I'll change it to 500 cal just to be safe.

crap sorry I just saw this =) You're an old pro!
  • MaKisMom

crap sorry I just saw this =) You're an old pro!

LOL, it feels like I've been pregnant or BFing for the last 6+ years straight! I haven't, but it feels like it.
    I love walking, I have a double stroller to put the younger 2 in while my 5yo is at kindergarten. But, it's still cold here, we're expecting over 5" of snow tomorrow, and pushing the double stroller through melting snow is tough. I do it some days, but it's not much fun yet. Once it warms up, I plan to do it every day. That's how I lost all my baby weight with #2. Two and a half miles pushing the double stroller every day.
This discussion has been closed.