Smoothie?

Options
Ok, so I was thinking about doing smoothies for breakfast as kind of a quick go-to breakfast in the morning, I don't know the first thing about making a smoothie, but I do have a blender. Is it just frozen fruit, plain yougurt, and orange juice? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :happy:

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    bumping for some good ideas....
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use fat free vanilla yogurt, frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple and either a splash of skim milk or sugar free cranberry juice. You can really just go wild with whatever you want! Any frozen fruit will be VERY tasty. Basically, blend a bunch of stuff up, whatever you like! Its fun to experiment!

I think I used 1/2 c yogurt, 1 c strawberries, 1/2 c pineapple and enough liquid to make it the right consistency.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i dont do smoothies ( they make me gain weight go fig) but i do love protein shakes jay robb with some PB2 powder mix is yummy
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    pretty much. you can use any fruit juice though, or substitute milk in place. you can add protein or nutritional powders as well. my favorite fruit combo is blueberry/banana, but i'm also really fond of banana/pineapple/strawberry with some chocolate syrup (like a banana split shake)! i use a chocolate protein powder instead of the syrup and for the most part, stick to milk instead of juice.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My two favorites are

Half of a banana
    About a scoop of peanut butter
    1/2 cup skim milk
    two ice cubes

and then a really good one I found on here, Strawberry shortcake

1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    4-6 packets sweetener
    1 cup of strawberries
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    I love the yoplait smoothies! One bag is 2 servings when mixed w/ 1 cup of skim milk. So you can have half the bag and 1/2 cup skim milk. I saw them on biggest loser and decided to try one (strawberry banana) and I loved it! Quick and easy and delicious. It has the frozen fruit and yogurt pieces already there... but if you are looking for a cheaper way to make them I'd say buy frozen fruit and add some yogurt to it yourself w/ some skim milk.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here's a smoothie recipe and the web site for more recipes:
    http://www.smoothieweb.com/non-fat-low-calorie-strawberry-banana-smoothie/

Enjoy! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i am curious too. thanks for posting
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I use frozen fruit, non fat yogurt and tofu. You dont taste the tofu and its a great source of protein. I do add a splenda to sweeten it. You can also make lunch time ones with the tofu by adding organic chicken or vegi broth with peas or carrots or green beans. But I suggest warming the lunch ones.
  • beckayjoe
    Options
    I keep it simple with 1 cup oj, 1 banana, 1 cup fruit of my choice and then add a scoop or two of protein powder (I'm not very good at eating meat so at least I get protein this way!) The hubs doesn't like it with oj so he puts frozen yogurt in his. I'm lactose intollerant though so I skip the milk/yogurt idea.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    We switch it up, but normally do-
    Spinach leaves
    blueberries
    strawberries
    banana
    soy milk
    a bit of favorite juice

Or
    Peaches
    strawberries
    raspberries
    banana
    juice
    soy milk

We add different things, but always do: soy milk & banana.

All fruit is frozen except the banana. We use our Vita-Mix. BOMB breakfast! And very filling!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I freeze peeled bananas to start. then I add some skim or 1% milk. Then just wing it... I keep frozen fruit in the freezer all the time. Whenever I have fruit that is on the verge of going bad, I cut it up and freeze it. I have recently started using greek yogurt or cottage cheese to increase the protein. if I don't have any, I use plain yogurt. My kids like it when I use flavored yogurt (it makes the smoothie much sweeeter!)

I will also throw in some spinach... it usually makes the smoothie a weird color. BUT very good for you and it doesn't alter the taste.

If it needs a bit more sugar I will add some oj or pineapple juice, but this is usually not necessary.
    have fun with it and get CREATIVE!
  • coliver88
    Options
    Smoothie

If yall like protein shakes a good one is

1 scoop Whey protein (i like vanilla)
    2 spoonfuls peanut butter
    1 1/2 cups of frozen strawberries
    1 cup of water/ice
    Blend and enjoy!

I like this in the morning or as a meal replacement/snack!

=)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's whatever you want. One of my favorite ones is strawberries, mango and rice milk. That's the thing about making smoothies, you can add whatever you want.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Smoothie

If yall like protein shakes a good one is

1 scoop Whey protein (i like vanilla)
    2 spoonfuls peanut butter
    1 1/2 cups of frozen strawberries
    1 cup of water/ice
    Blend and enjoy!

I like this in the morning or as a meal replacement/snack!

=)
    That reminds me of one of my favorite protein shakes. Rice milk, chocolate vegan protein powder and a tablespoon of almond butter. Blend with a little ice and it reminds me of a Reese's peanut butter cup.
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm reading alot about protein powder, does that add to the smoothie to make you feel fuller? Also, what is a good powder to buy and where can you get it?
  • Coopertown3
    Coopertown3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use the Yoplait Frozen smoothie along with Jillian Michaels protein powder, frozen or fresh fruit--I use water and crushed ice and blend it together. Tastes really great---
    :smile:
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    1-2 scoops protein powder, 1 cup low fat milk, 1 tbs of almond butter and a handful of ice...sooo good!!
  • fatgirllittlesuit
    fatgirllittlesuit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels vanilla protein powder mixed with Lactaid fat free milk. It's a low calorie breakfast and keeps me satisfied until a snack or lunch. Adding fruit adds calories but my absolute favorite smoothie includes strawberries and mango. Be careful with orange juice. Certain brands are loaded with calories.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm reading alot about protein powder, does that add to the smoothie to make you feel fuller? Also, what is a good powder to buy and where can you get it?

I don't put my protein in my smoothies. The only time I use it is before my workout's. (and sometimes after if I really pushed hard) . 1 scoop is about 140 calories and 26 grams of protein

I buy Body Fortress - Super Advanced strawberry. Doesn't taste very good! But it's cheap. (About $13 dollars a wal mart) And that will last me about a month.