Doctor said count calories, so I'm trying :(

Options
I've been running and trying to "eat sensibly" but can't seem to lose weight. I'm heavier than I've ever been and I'm so discouraged. I had my doc run a bunch of tests, and it's always possible it could be thyroid or something, but she said until we find out, I have to count calories.
I think I started last Wednesday (so less than a week) and I have lost about 2 pounds... I guess maybe I don't get the medical cop out after all :( Dang it! I was really hoping there was a magic pill!
Anyway, my downfall is FOOD! I love food, but I really don't mind exercise. I run a lot and I just started doing yoga again (which I like a lot). I do not cook EVER and I don't eat left overs. I guess I kind of still live and eat like a college student with the metabolism of a 35 year old.
*sigh*
Anyway, best of luck to all of you on our journeys! I hope to be an encouragement to someone and find encouragement from someone while here!

Replies

• bcampbe2
    bcampbe2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is amazing! It makes weight lose incredibly easy. Once you can visualise what you're eating, diet is much easier to manage. You'll do great. Good luck!
  • paulso14
    paulso14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome! As my mom would say "MFP helps keep you accountable" which is so very true. It isn't an easy journey but MFP makes it bearable! As a tip: keep your portions under control, this is the best thing I've learned from this site...what an actual portion or serving size is!
    Good luck, and remember a little indulgence is always ok :)
  • alli0
    alli0 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! The best tool I've found to help with eating habits is the Eat This Not That book - gives you calorie counts and substitution suggestions for so many different restaurants so you can actually make better choices when you eat out and save literally thousands of calories a year. It's insanely awesome. Also, there's a companion, Cook This Not That if you wanted to start cooking - better versions of things you'd be likely to find in restaurants and all the meals come in at around 300 calories. That, plus MFP here makes it so easy to know what you're putting in your body and what you can be getting out of it. Best of luck to you!
  • JacqiO
    JacqiO Posts: 1
    Options
    I"m pulling for you......slow and steady.....it will come off if you continue on your path.......I am a yoga instructor who practices about 3-4 times a week....but my snacking is sooo bad....so I pretty much stay the same weight.....I have to really "go hard" in order to loose.....so I decided this week that I will eat no bread, no pasta or potatoes.....let"s see how that works.......my goal is to weigh 137...I am 143....I would really like it if I could weigh 135......I am only 5"2
  • Ccw675
    Ccw675 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks you guys!
    Yeah, it's a pretty cool app. I'm pretty impressed. I will say, I lost quite a bit of weight in the past on weight watchers. I'm actually a "lifetime member" in spite of the fact that I'm now 40 pounds heavier than my goal weight :(
    But, yes WW always stressed portion control as well. I don't weigh food, partly because there's not a feasible way to do that while eating out. I honestly normally have a shake or something for breakfast (I actually like the Advocare meal replacement shakes and they do ok for filling me up), then eat out for lunch and I have peanut butter and honey on a sandwich thin for dinner, or else maybe a sweet potato with that fake fat free butter and some cinnamon and splenda.
    Weekends are a bit more of a problem for me... I eat out a little more and drink a lot more!