How to get calories without the sugar

Options
Hi
I've just started using this tool this weekend and so far I really enjoy it, but I just completed my food tracking for today and it popped up a message that said I needed to get more calories. I'm like 400 calories short, but I'm over the sugar like 100%.
Anybody have any suggestions on what to eat that has calories but not a lot of sugar.
thanks!
Becky

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of fruit? If so i wouldn't worry about the sugar. Mine is almost always over even if i just have a banana and an apple.... tzz
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Proteins - Chicken breast, Tuna, Turkey, etc... Nuts - Pistachios, Almonds

Also, not all sugar is created equal - fruits add sugar that isn't as bad for you as processed foods but they end up in the same category.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Whole grain pasta, bread and rice
    Fruits-especially berries
    VEGGIES!!!!
    Lean proteins-chicken, fish, eggs, etc.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    oops, I forgot almonds, walnuts, olive oil and avocado :) Good luck in your journey
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Don't fret the sugars. The tangerine I ate for breakfast today put me 11% over instantly.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how about adding in a good protein drink, mix it with milk. That would give you some good calories. You could have a couple slices of cheese, and a few crackers too.
  • quilter1951
    Options
    piece of wheat toast, or popcorn is always good if you need snack,
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    Like others have said, there are good and bad sugars. I just switched to Almond milk because it has way less sugar than milk and the vitamin benefits are incredible. Milk alone will put me over in the sugars. Remember that the guide the site sets for you is just that, a guide.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Becky, welcome to mfp:) It's a great place to watch what you are eating and make friends that will help motivate you.
    I am 45, will be 46 this year and have been on here now for just over a month. I don't really watch my sugar, it's the sodium that I watch out for but as far as low sugar, have you tried greek yogurt? It's really great with 0 fat and high in protein. Also unsalted almonds are great, most fresh vegetables, love kashi go lean cereal (very low in sugar) Eating high protein gives you the energy you need and fiber takes longer to digest so keeps you from getting as hungry. If you haven't tried almond milk,, try it, it's delicious and low in sugar and calories and is great over cereal, in protein shake or smoothie. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend:)
  • doriday
    doriday Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me, sugar is the biggest hurdle I face in losing weight. THe more sugar in my system the more it all makes me want to eat more. I don't worry a lot about going a little over he MFP sugar limit if it is due to fruit, but I try to watch it the best I can, because it still can cause me to snack more. Make sure you are eating enough protein and some of the good fats to help you feel full and satisfied and more vegetables. Stay away from the processed sweets as much as you can.
  • doriday
    doriday Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you can find a yogurt called "Fage Yogurt"----they have one out of several varieties that has a real low sugar count.....I eat it with some blueberries and Flaxseed granola. Very filling and satisfying. If you start reading labels....you will find most things have sugar in them so you have to hunt for brands that have lower sugar counts. Feel free to friend me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • rsull422
    rsull422 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! It is the fresh pineapple and apples that I'm eating that tend to put me over. I did LA Weightloss about 5 years ago and lost 50 pounds but have put back on about 25. That program worked, but was very expensive and it was harder. This seems to be really easy! I love typing in what I'd like to eat to see how it calculates, then I decided what to do! I'm even drinking 6-8 glasses a water a day and I wasn't doing that before. I'm also down to 1 or 2 diet sodas a week. It's nice to see all of the support that is available to me on this website. I know someone that did this and has lost 40 pounds! I'm all about that!! ha!
    Again, thank you and maybe we can be friends!