Cardio vs. Strength Training

Options
kekagel
kekagel Posts: 94 Member
I'm roughly 235-240 pounds at any given time. I exercise in spurts, usually cardio, but it's far from a habit.

What should I be doing? Cardio or strength training or a combination of both?

I love doing Zumba, it's a lot of fun and I can motivate myself to do it easier than I can to do squats or whichever.

Any advice?

Replies

• aschultz9
    aschultz9 Posts: 89
    Options
    You should be doing both. I would say if you are just starting and want to make it a habit that will stick, start small and doable. 20-30 min cardio 3 days a week, and 20 min strength training 2 times a week. If you go nuts trying to do an hour of cardio daily you probobly won't stick with it for the long haul. Once you start to reap the mental and physical benefits of exercise you will want to do more.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    As aschultz9 said, a combination of both is best. BUt don't forget, the best exercise is the one you do.

As to zumba, I've heard a lot about it and am considering having a go myself, I'm just nervous about going because, well, imagine what a 300lbs woman trying to do the routines would look like. I just don't want to look like a fool. Maybe when I get some of this weight off I'll change my mind.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Personally, I would do a combo of both. The cardio to get your heart up, but then maxing out your muscles doing strength training will help get that "after burn" which will keep burning calories well after you have finished your workout. Plus, building muscle will only help you burn fat in the end. But, getting any type of exercise is better than none at all.
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    OP: Definitely a combination!
    As aschultz9 said, a combination of both is best. BUt don't forget, the best exercise is the one you do.

As to zumba, I've heard a lot about it and am considering having a go myself, I'm just nervous about going because, well, imagine what a 300lbs woman trying to do the routines would look like. I just don't want to look like a fool. Maybe when I get some of this weight off I'll change my mind.
    I went to my first Zumba class today at my university's rec center. There were several girls in there who easily weighed 300 pounds. And they were just as into it as anyone!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I agree, both. I hate cardio. But I love strength training.
  • sweetsunshine11
    Options
    Hey...a combination of both is essential...while cardio is helpful for a slimmer body...u need the strength training to tone ur body.....zumba is realli good....I been doing it since onli a mnth but its realli fun n tones ur body as well...u can even make zumba into a fun cardio n strength training exercise if u want ..by using weights in b/w some of the dance moves...there's lottsa zumba workout CDs out there...buy one tht incorporates both cardio n strength training... ^_^
  • quilter1951
    Options
    try to increase your steps..if your putting away your laundry,,take only one type away at a time ..first your washcloths, then your towels, then your socks. then your blouses, ect....really works great if you have stairs....i use to park in the end of the shopping center to protect my car..now is to add more steps make it a game how many more steps you can make..nothing is better than walking, though my friend says its water,water.....:laugh:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Definitely a combo of both! I find I get a better 'high' from strength training so usually do that after cardio, it makes me hungry to do it again and I battle through the cardio because I know I get to finsih out with strength! I'm getting better results in terms of my look from the strength training too!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    DO both together. Circuit training! Not just one or the other. Mishmash them all together. If you google it you should come across some great workouts. Do what you can as your building your fitness up! Circuit training is a great way to build it up and loose body fat
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns calories, Strength builds muscle which helps burn calories when not exercising so a combination of both is key.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    BOTH in a word
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing a mix of both.

I used to do all cardio, and added in 2 days of strength.

About 2 months ago, I changed it up.

I do 3 days of HIIT(High intensity cardio for 45 mins), and 3 days of strength training(60 mins followed by 30 mins of cardio)

I wanted to be careful not to lose muscle along with the fat. I think I;ve done a pretty good job of it as the weight just started melting off. A mix of both is def. the way to go!