How to distinguish between gaining muscle v.s. fat??

Options
Hi everyone, I am new here but not quite new to this site. I tried it once earlier on in the year and wasn't very loyal but now that I am working out again I am absolutely in love with my little app on my phone and it motivates me to go to the gym and push myself everyday!

I used to run track and I know how to push myself.. I am 5'6" and have a long torso and.. well, you guessed it- short legs. Since I started college I've gained 20 lbs and I am really, really embarassed... I've been called looking pregnant a few times and its more than frustrating to hear that when you're used to being miss buff, ha. :(

My question is, I've been working out and dieting (solidly) for around a week now. Pushing myself at the gym everyday with a lot of cardio, and about as much weight training. A couple days ago, I weighed myself and I was down to 153.2 or something. Yay! 7 lbs in a matter of a few days? Sweet. I felt like hot stuff.

Next day??? 155.5.

really?

The catch is I guess is my pants are fitting better, legs are looser.. So.. Uhm?

Is this a common occurance during weight loss?

Am I gaining fat back, am I not dieting hard enough?

Or could it be just my muscle finally coming back from a long vacation in hiding?

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of sodium one day it can cause you to retain fluids. Your weight fluctuates all day long. But if you weigh right after a workout... you will weigh heavier. Your muscles hang onto that water for a while after a workout.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Nope it is just fluid flucuations and nothing to worry about. A day after i lift really hard i always gain a little but its only water retention in the muscles

it is quite difficult to actually gain new musclewith a calorie reduction though and you wont build lean muscle mass fast at all
  • shockwavegirl
    Options
    well I mean. I've heard muscle memory can play a big role in how quick your body bounces back from i dunno..hibernation? haha. I've always just been really muscular and at my peak of my track sprinting I weighed 140, while a lot of other girls weighed like 120 or 110, haha. (It was pretty obvious I was almost solid as well)

Is there a certain way I should work out then or certain diets? I mean. Maybe I just shouldn't weigh myself.