Need advice.. (from the women! Men beware!)

Options
Around the time of the month I crave everything, feel like I'm starving no matter what I eat, and HATE to even hear the word exercise much less do it. Honestly...I have NEVER stayed on a diet during this time and it always puts me back a week or two (which means I only really get one week worth of progress a month!)

What's your tricks and tips to stay with it?

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Around the time of the month I crave everything, feel like I'm starving no matter what I eat, and HATE to even hear the word exercise much less do it. Honestly...I have NEVER stayed on a diet during this time and it always puts me back a week or two (which means I only really get one week worth of progress a month!)

What's your tricks and tips to stay with it?
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    I just really have to stick with it. I make myself do it even if i don't want to. And believe it or not I feel lots better after I do get a workout in. If I don't workout and earn the extra calories I really get in trouble. I crave everything. I usually just walk a lot and take lots of midol.

Good luck.

Melissa
  • haleygrrrrl
    Options
    i have the same problem and i actually am going through it as i type lol....im an emotional hungry fat bloated unexcersising monster and it always sets me back .....and of course its the week i decide to start dieting.....
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    I do indulge cravings a little during that time but I save calories for it.

Maybe take it one goal at a time. For example, this month your goal is to stay within your calories but you can eat what you want. Next month make it a goal to exercise at least 2 times that week. Maybe changing things slower will give you more control and not make you feel so overwhelmed, that is the last thing you need with all those hormones flying around.

Good luck. Mind over matter, or mind over body in this case.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I'm going through this right now!! It's really hard, I know!

The only advice I have is to use your willpower as much as you can but if you really feel hungry, just try to eat something healthy. I try to remind myself that if I'm going to eat something anyway, even if I go over my calories, if its because I ate a banana, an apple, and a granola bar that is still much better than if I went over from eating brownies.

I also hate exercise durring my TOM, and I usually try doing something low intensity, but almost always miss a couple workouts.
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    wow, this is great timing for this post! I woke up STARVING, and last night was so hungry, I ate more than I should've, but it was seriously b/c I felt like I *needed* it, not b/c i craved it. I was wondering what was going on! I had no idea it that hunger was related to flo.

I also am having a hard time motivating myself to go to the Y today. I know if I don't workout today, the next time I'll be able to is Monday... I like the idea of just going for a walk. I can definitely do that instead. It's a beautiful afternoon in the midwest! :flowerforyou:
  • JESSMC420
    Options
    tell me about it!:mad:
    I did the worst thing ever, I weighed my self in the mid afternoon, during the PMS stage. I looked like I have gained 5 lbs!!!:explode:
    I don't feel bigger, but my esteem is shot and I got really frustrated!
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, yes, cravings for salt, sugar and fats DO go up when it's that time. It's naturally programmed into you, because before we had Costco and SuperWalmarts, our hunter-gatherer ancestors didn't have meals so regularly. So, the female body cravings for those things go up at the same time fertility goes up. It's natural, and is not a disease, or something to be ashamed of.

However, now that we DO have Costco and SWM, we have to control those natural inclinations if we wish to control weight. A couple of things I do:

Stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. I use my chores list (mow, clean, etc) or go walking - whatever it takes to stay away from the pantry.
    I spread out noshing times: eat a small portion like 8 times a day (instead of 3 big meals) and it may help you stay in bounds. Like have a Hershey's Kiss or mini-chocolate rather than a huge candy bar.
    Measure stuff. If it's that time and I open a bag of Funyuns, it's gone! So, put the amount you're allowing for your snack or treat in a bowl and hide the bag.

Hope any of that helps.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I've been readinig up on this... there's some mixed views. They say your body can burn 200-500 extra calories right before and during your period. That would explain the hunger. I personally think it's true. Small snacks like apples and peanut butter may offset your "sweet" cravings.

During this time I prefer slow stretching exercises. And hot baths :wink: