losing hair

Options
Every time I exercise a lot, I lose hair or my hair becomes brittle and dry. Anyone heard of this happening?? Any remedies?

Thanks,
Opal

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    maybe the extra oil from the sweat is doing damage. maybe look at changing shampoos / shampooing more often.
  • GingerZEST
    Options
    Losing hair can be from stress. I went through sleepless nights for a week and lost 1/2 my hair. How hard are you exercising or increasing your intensity.

take care;
    GINGERzest
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising out in the sun without covering your hair? Or in chlorinated or salt water? Tying it back hard? Anything that would directly affect your hair?

There are a variety of nutritional deficiencies that could cause hair loss, and the extra stress of the exercise could make he breakage/loss more apparent. It's also possible that it's a thyroid problem. Might want to check with your doctor just in case.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Exercising too much and not eating enough can cause hair loss. Trust me, I've been there.
  • skinnyfabulous
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with the sweating, but just in case try to check if you're getting enough vitamins and nutrients in your diet. May be a multi vitamin could help. Drink a lot of water too! :)
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    your not healthy...im a hair stylist....sweat wont make your hair fall out...your not eating healthy period.
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I have my hair up all day (like on days I exercise), hair comes out when I take my hairtie out or take a shower at the end of the day. On days when I have my hair down, the hair I shed comes out throughout the day so I don't notice it as much (it's not coming out all at once). At first when I wasn't used to putting my hair up, I thought I was shedding but after a while realized that I was losing the same amount of hair, just not getting rid of it like I would have if my hair was down.

If you're low on calcium or healthy fats, make sure you're eating enough.

Use a good conditioner, especially if your workouts happen outside where hair can be damaged by sunlight or harsh cold.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My daughter asked her hair stylist about her hair lost. The gal looked at her hair and said... you must have had a lot of stress about 8 months ago. You've got a lot of new hair coming in. Turns out... her wedding was 8 months prior. So stress can make you loose a large amount of hair according to her hair stylist.
  • feelsgood
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I was having the same issues with my hair along with loss of energy and other symptoms. Turned out my thyroid is hypo (slow) but hair loss, dry brittle hair are symptoms of a thyroid disease both hyper and hypo. Good luck!
  • charmingopal
    charmingopal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I usually do stay within my calorie limit, but I don't get all the required nutrients though. I'll try a multivitamin. And yes I keep my hair up and back in a tight bun or ponytail when I work out.
  • xenarose
    xenarose Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I am a hairstylist as well. I agree with several posts to have your thyroid checked. If that comes back normal than look to your nutrient intake. I have recommended zinc and biotin as a supplement, check with your local health food store. Now I want to recommend a professional product line. We do sell it in our salon, but I will not mention my salon or website out of respect for the post rules. The product is call Surface Hair created by Wayne Grund. They have a shampoo and conditioner that really does restore lost hair. No it will not work on a bald man, mainly because it works to clean out the follicle and deliver nutrients to the root and bald men have no follicle, thus the smooth Mr. Clean look. I can't tell you how many of our clients stop and tell us how much thicker and stronger their hair is. Oh one more thing - Never pull your hair up wet because wet hair stretches 1/5 of it's length when wet. So if your hair is 5" when it's wet you can stretch it 1 whole inch. Now it's drying(think shrinking) in a tight pony tail, what wins, the elastic band or your hair? Good Luck!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont think the exercise has anything to do with it..maybe thyroid or definately your diet..what about taking zinc?