Cottage cheese

Options
Does anybody know if cottage cheese is bad or good for you?
Personally I love it. Someone told me its not good for me, and someone else said its a great form of calcium.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    As long as you get low fat, it's an absolutely excellent source of lean protein. One thing to watch out for is that most brands are quite high in sodium. But other than that, it's an excellent food choice.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love it too. However, I only eat fat free cottage cheese. I usually have 1/2 cup before bed if I am hungry or when I get up at 1:30am to get my fiance off to work. It's better than snacking on junk. Cottage cheese is also a good source of protein.
  • boardgirl69
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great for you!! And yes the light cottage cheese is better. Its a great source of calcium and very high in protein, a great snack for after your workout since you're supposed to eat something lean but high in protein after a workout. So usually if I don't have a can of tuna or chicken breast laying around, the cottage cheese is a "go- to" after workout snack for me!!:flowerforyou:

Best of luck!!!!!
  • ucrgirl06
    ucrgirl06 Posts: 13
    Options
    As with most health questions, there isn't a real definitive answer. Some people will swear it's terrible and some will swear it's the best thing since sliced bread. Like the person before me said, it's a great source of protein and relatively low in calories. It's good with fruit and vegetables too, so to me, it's a win/win. Good luck to you!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    yup what Taso said!:smile:
  • prongsgirl25
    Options
    Thanks guys. Best of luck to you too!!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Cottage cheese is good, but not for my husband, and if he keeps eating all mine, he will find his health dramatically effected, and not for the better! LOL! :grumble:
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I think it is a great source of protein. If I am craving something sweet, I mix 1/2 cup cottage cheese with yogurt. It is so yummy and a great source of protein!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Great for protein and calcium!

The lower the fat content, the higher the sodium in most brands, however, so watch that. As the serving size of cottage cheese is so small, you may find that you're better off with more fat and less sodium.