What should my goal weight be?

Options
so I'm wondering how I know what my goal weight is. If you don't mind to tell me ur height and current weight- n how u figured out your goal weight... Did u use a method or are u shooting for a weight u were happy at in the past. Advice is welcome! I am 5'2.5" thinking of 115 but not sure if that's good or bad cuz I never really got toned b4. Thanks :)

Replies

• rebecca916
    Options
    Hi (:
    I am 5'1 and I weigh 122 lbs. My goal weight is 120. I'm almost there (: finally. For your height, I'd say a good goal weight is 120-125 lbs. You can push for 115 if you wanted to. As you get closer to your goal weight, its more difficult to lose the pounds. You gain more muscle, and there's not much fat to be lost. Hope this helps.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Check this out http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

It includes several calculators including People's Choice - check out the definitions.

I used it to help me decide on an initial goal.

Cheers
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks I used to be 115 but I still had what to tone so I'm wondering if I can be fit at a higher weight. I guess I won't k ow till I get there but thanks
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just used this BMI calculator on this site. It gives you a healthy range from your stats already entered

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 115lb is my goal. Good luck!!:happy:
  • stinkytyphoon
    stinkytyphoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type and age too. I'm 5'2" and setting my goal weight at 130. I figure I can revise once I reach that goal, or just work on toning and maintenance....
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    BMI is kind of BS>
    according to BMI i still need to lose 30 -40 lbs! With the muscle I have, that is not happening.
    I would recommend a body fat analysis because everyone is different and BMI goes by weight only as works for some, but not for those who carry quite a bit of muscle. After my completion of my next fitness challenge (ChaLean extreme) I am getting tested in a submersion tank. I do not think, and and VERY sure that I do not have 40 more lbs to lose (I am 183), due to my muscle mass and broad structure. I plan on aiming for a healthy body fat and getting toned and keeping my muscle. :-D

I have an open ended goal to be honest... you will know when YOU get there :-D
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'2 and I got down to 115 lbs.. found it a little difficult to maintain and I felt pretty hungry most of the time. lol Not to mention I wasn't really toned, just smaller because of all the cardio. When I started eating a little bit more, half the weight I lost came back on. My new goal is about 119 lbs and I'm going to focus more on toning, rather than just losing weight.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Agreed! My Dr told me that the BMI scale is bs. mine says Im obese (barely). she says I am not. Hers says she is drastically underweight and she looks perfect. even sporting a little roll. the difference is the body frame. I am Med frame so instead of being 120, she thinks I should aim for 130-140. Her frame is teeny tiny so it says she is underweight for her height but shes so teeny her weight looks good on her. I like that link a few posts up. There was a calculator by body frame and it showed I should weigh about what I did before I had kids. 135. I thought I was perfect then
    BMI is kind of BS>
    according to BMI i still need to lose 30 -40 lbs! With the muscle I have, that is not happening.
    I would recommend a body fat analysis because everyone is different and BMI goes by weight only as works for some, but not for those who carry quite a bit of muscle. After my completion of my next fitness challenge (ChaLean extreme) I am getting tested in a submersion tank. I do not think, and and VERY sure that I do not have 40 more lbs to lose (I am 183), due to my muscle mass and broad structure. I plan on aiming for a healthy body fat and getting toned and keeping my muscle. :-D

I have an open ended goal to be honest... you will know when YOU get there :-D
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I wasn't actually talking about the BMI as such but the range 59.9 - 81kg for example on that page does happen to be pretty consistant with any weight range calculator on the internet I have used.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I wasn't actually talking about the BMI as such but the range 59.9 - 81kg for example on that page does happen to be pretty consistant with any weight range calculator on the internet I have used.
    I don't event fit into the weight range for my height.

I would have to lose a lot of fat AND muscle to get well into the range they say I should be in. BUT again, everyone is different and we all carry more or less muscle and frame weight than others. If we were all the same it would be boring ;)
  • trouble169
    Options
    I am 5'2" but I am 42 with 4 kids. The doctor said today that a healthy weight for me would be 130-135. I have a chart and that's about right. I do not want to lose too much weight, I just want to be able to run and play with my kids without getting so winded.
  • trouble169
    Options
    oh and look decent in a bathing suit when we go to the beach LOL:laugh:
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    it says 102.8-138.9---nice range there!!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2 & 1/2, I'm currently 115. Started MFP a little over two weeks ago at 120. Goal is 110 now. I have done P90X and P90X Plus for over a year now. Ive got the muscle but it took that first 5 pounds to really have them pop. I think 110 will be even better.
  • mommytomia
    Options
    I am 5ft3 and my goal is 125,and I am currently 129. These last pounds are coming off slow.
    I really think it matters how you are built and your age.
    I am busty, with an average waist and hip size.
    I am also 40 years old.
    I honestly do not think I could maintain anything below 125 longterm.
    Good luck!
  • srandle175
    Options
    Bump
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'2 ½ almost 6'3. large frame and currently 330 lbs. lowest I ever was is 230 lbs. when I was 17 in high school. I am shooting for 200-220 some where in that range. all online BMI calculators list me @ 175-190. but I think that's too low for me.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I went with the last weight I remember being when I thought I was smokin! BUT.. At the time I got that weigth from taking a rough look at my BMI (I KNOW I KNOW)! A lot of people aren't a fan of using BMI to calculate anything, but in my experience I have found it to be a pretty acurate ESTIMATE. I am 5'5" medium frame and currently 140 pounds with a goal weight of 130 or so pounds (up to 135 if I keep with my strength training). I absolutely don't want to go below 130 because when I was younger (and stupider) I thought I would try and hit the low end of my BMI and ended up at 120 pounds. It really did look like I was getting too thin and I lost most of my shape.

In talking (and calculating) with a few of my girlfriends we determined that it gave most of us a pretty good range to chose from. The only times it strayed noticeably was for our men (always way under their last "smokin" weight) and for the larger/smaller framed or more muscular girls in the group. But even for them it wasn't way off, they just needed to stay in the higher or lower end of their healthy range accordingly.

So I would either go by the last weight you remember being happiest at, or take a look at your BMI range. Take into account the size of your frame and how muscular your physique is, and chose from somewhere within your range (or just slightly outside it depending on your criteria). In mine and my friends' experience the low range was not a good place to be unless you are of smaller bone structure.

Best of luck!
  • neil3125
    neil3125 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used my body fat percentage to come up with my goal weight. I took my weight and body fat percentage using a scale with a BIA caliper. I subtracted my weight in fat from my total weight to figure out what my lean body mass is; then I figured up what I would weigh with 10% body fat (by just multiplying my lean body mass by 1.1), which is roughly my goal. So that gave me a goal weight of about 145, the charts say my healthy weight is something like 140-148. I'm sure there are a million ways to do it.