What do you do with your old clothes?

Options
I've been wearing XL shirts for a long time and my pants seem to be getting bigger... I've put so much money into these clothes, I'm afraid they'll be too big for me at the end of this journey! What am I going to do? Donate all of it and buy some new clothes with the money I don't have?

What do you guys plan on doing?

Replies

• katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of clothes that are in good shape you can take them to a second hand store that buys used clothes. Or you can take some of your favorite items to a tailor/seamstress and have them taken in?
    I'm planning on donating most of my big clothes....only because I already have an entire wardrobe of smaller clothes from a few years ago when I was smaller.....they have just been waiting for me!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    donate to the second hand store, sell at consignment, give to friends, have a garage sale, homeless shelter....
    Many options depending on the the shape of the clothes and what you have. :-D

I have donated LOTS of clothes over this journey and also given to friends.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    once every few months i go thru my closets and throw everything i either know i can part with or just don't want anymore into a pile. some.. i send to my sister.. the rest I have a tendancy to take to safe nest. Those women sometimes leave their situations with the clothes on their backs to protect their children from harmful situations. So .. that's usually what i do.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I alter mine.

Anything that can't be altered gets donated. I'd rather be skinny and have 5 things that fit me than fat with a big, beautiful wardrobe. ;)
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I donated everything.
  • HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have kept all my skinny clothes,as I never accepted that being fat would be a long term thing. It has , however lasted 3 years :(. As I lose now, I will donate all my old clothes, but that is because I have a closet full of skinny clothes waiting for me. You could set up a stall at a market, sell online, or have a garage sale ( I think you would probably call it a yard sale?)
  • maximuslupus
    Options
    These are all neat ideas. I'd donate my clothes to people who really need them, not deposit boxes in front of thrift stores since I've seen cheap middle-class parents take loads of clothes for their own needs.

I need a new wardrobe anyway, I've grown up since!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Have a garage sale.
  • mattyswanner
    Options
    Sell em
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    E-bay.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I have seen craigs list ads that sell clothes by the box! List the sizes and sell the whole box for like 50 $. Or individual items too.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite clothes (dresses in particular) I take to a tailor for alterations. For the rest, I'm planning a swap party with friends in April - some are larger than me, and can probably use some of my old clothes, whereas I can now get the old favorites of other friends. And whatever is left, I donate to the Salvation Army.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Give them away - find out if there is a women's shelter or a service that you like in your area and as they get too big, just get them out the door. There is no point in counting the money you spent on them, that is already gone.
    Then you can gradually buy new things, just a few at a time, which doesn't have to cost a lot. I tend to buy pants from thrift shops (as they are usually in pretty good condition) and t-shirts and shirts new.
    This saves me some money to spend on new undies!
  • SaucyCJMinx
    SaucyCJMinx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try to find a designer maybe a student designer in your area that could take them apart and make new clothes for you! I do a lot of recycled garments in my work and I love tearing up the old and making it into something new and wearable!

Cheers,
    Candice
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    some in the bin as they were just cr@p!! lol and the better stuff on ebay oh yehhh :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The nice expensive trousers I have will be getting altered. The rest is going to charity apart from the biggest set of jeans I own which I will be wearing then disgarding at the start of the great north run, my first ever half marathon.
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've just put a lot of things on eBay... the stuff I probably can't sell will go to charity shops...
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I have just had a big clearout and I had a pile I've given to a charity collection and another pile I will sell on e-bay to try and earn some money so I can buy new clothes that fit. The clothes I sell on ebay are those that either still have tags on and never been worn or have been worn once, are in excellent condition and have a brand name.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I donated all my fat clothes, and just suffered thru only having a few new things to wear lol. I actually have to get rid of some more stuff soon, things that are almost too big I just wear for working out, the shirts anyway.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Ebay, and what doesn't sell goes to Oxfam. The money I make goes to buy new (to me) smaller clothes off guess where? Ebay!:laugh:
    I'm going to be dropping thru a lot of sizes & begrudge spending cash on clothes that I wont be wearing for long, so second hand does for me. The only things I buy new ATM are undies, socks and shoes.