Targetting 2 lbs loss per week but losing 4 - should I worry

Options
I started out needing to lose around 35 lbs - this will take me to about 7 lbs under the max BMI for my height and I know its a weight I'm happy with.

I have a 6 week old baby so am BFing full-time, am allowing 500 cals for that. I always eat at or very close to my allowance, the most I have been under is about 180. I eat all my BFing allowance cals, and don't have any exercise cals as yet as I won't be signed off as physically fit after the birth until this Fri.

Both this week and last I have lost 4 lbs instead of 2 and am a bit nervy about my body going into starvation mode. I don't usually feel that hungry apart from the first day or 2. I've even had one slip up each week where I have gone about 500 cals over target. Do you think it could be getting my consumption wrong? Should I worry or just accept it happily?!?!?

Replies

• camtrader
    Options
    BF will help you lose weight faster and also you probably still have some hcg in your system. HCG tells your body to burn fat for food so that there are plenty of calories for you and your baby. I think this is normal. Keep up what you are doing! And congrats on the baby and the weight loss. :)
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I assume you are going for follow up to the dr's this week so I would consult with him/her. They will give you the best advice of all ;)
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    No, don't allow 500kcal for breastfeeding. While it may be true that your body uses more calories while breastfeeding, it also holds onto your body weight for dear life to keep the milk production going, so usually women actually do not lose weight while BFing until much later on.
    Since you had your baby 6 weeks ago - I'd aim for healthier food, stay within my kcal goal (but would change it to losing 1 pound per week to be on the safe side for BFing and general health) and try to gain as much energy as possible. If the weight loss is deplating your energy levels, you will have a hard time adjusting with a 6 week old, not to mention the sleep deprivation and all.

Energy and healthy eating is the goal now, I think!

Took me 9 months post baby to even consider losing weights - so well done you!!! Good luck!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think your probably doing find. A breastfeeding woman needs right at 2000 calories a day.
    Breastfeeding is great that way. It helps pull the weight off faster.
  • madmegan
    madmegan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would be very careful what you do with weight loss while BF. I started to count my calories and I cut back and my supply started to dwindle. Pay close attention to your supply. Worry about your baby being healthy. It may mean that you have to wait a little longer to start back on your weight loss journey but if you are like me, my son was more important than me losing weight at that time. I started again once I finished breastfeeding and I've now lost 39 pounds. I would never change that time with my son for anything...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's normal to lose pretty fast right after a baby. I dropped about 30 pounds within a few weeks of having my youngest. I retained an awful lot of water with that pregnancy. I'm sure it will slow down. Just make sure you're eating enough.
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I dropped ALL my baby weight from breast feeding alone and just eating a normal healthy diet not really calorie counting or anything...I bf for 11mo
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My supply is def fine as my DD is gaining weight fine. Maybe it is fluid from pregnancy as have felt quite swollen? Think I'lladjust my target to 1 lb loss per week and have a chat wit the GP on Fri. To be fair, with the other 2 kids I hadn't got round to weighing mysekf yet so maybe this is normal?

Ithink I ought to keep allowing 500 cals for feeding them or it would set my target cals even lower and I don't want to lose faster!