What am I doing wrong?

Options
I've been following a 1000-1200 calorie diet for a month now and excercising 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. I weighed myself when I started 4 weeks ago and had not weighed again until this weekend... I am exactly the same! No loss at all, and not seeing any difference in the way clothes fit. Has this happened to anyone else? The excercise I'm doing is a kettlebell workout, which combines cardio with strength training in a full-body workout... trust me, something there is working because I thought I would die the first week and just today I have moved up to a 10lb kettlebell from a 4lb kettlebell. Any ideas on what I need to adjust or when I can expect to see progress?

Replies

• pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle muscle weighs more than fat and muscle burns calories... Are you logging everything and measuring properly also making sure items you log are correct before accepting?
  • merriemouse
    Options
    I lost 18 pounds within 35 days and then didn't lose anything for three weeks. When I started paying attention,. realized, even though I was within the calorie count that the fat and carb content was too high for my body type. Once I cut them back, I started losing again (and felt fuller because I was able to eat more food, but more vegetable and fiber rich foods (not as tasty as the pastries and pastas, though) :-)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I noticed you're only trying to lose 27 lb.. are you already really in shape? The last bit is the hardest. All these super losers usually started with more to lose than you did. Hang in there woman. :D
  • cmgriffis
    cmgriffis Posts: 13
    Options
    1000 calories?! Well, it's not calorie intake! Try checking these things:

Make sure you don't get too many grams of protein, carbs, and/or fats. When you eat more than your body needs, your liver converts in into fat!

If you're eating perfectly fine, try exercising more! Maybe an hour or two hours a day instead of 30 minutes? I mean, I personally burn a little more than 7,500 calories a week and only eat 1000 calories as well. But, I have my exercises set to three 3 hour work outs a week. Maybe try that?
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Eat more. 1000-1200 calories=starvation mode. After 3 weeks of no change in weight I added 150 calories a day and immediately lost 4lbs the first week. It has evened out since then, but it's the jump start I needed. Maybe it will work for you too.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Your calories are not going to be enough to help your body rebuild itself and with that kind of exercise I would guess you need a minimum of 1500 cals/day, maybe 1600. You should be building muscle and losing weight in no time.
  • cmgriffis
    cmgriffis Posts: 13
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle muscle weighs more than fat and muscle burns calories... Are you logging everything and measuring properly also making sure items you log are correct before accepting?

Muscle may weight more than fat, but remember, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    EAT MOAR and then start taking your measurements once a week. pdcarrell was only partially correct, muscle weighs more then fat PER VOLUME. Meaning it's denser so it takes up less space the body. I'm pretty sure you are not gaining any muscle weight on 1000-1200 calories a day though.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    everyone stalls. you need to switch up your routine. try taking a break for a few weeks to allow your body to 'reset' then start back with your workouts. the more you do exercise the more efficient your body gets
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You could be trading fat for muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Are your clothes fitting any differently? I don't like going by the scale - I judge what's going on by how my jeans fit and how my body looks in my clothing. I'm 5'7" and 155 pounds and people look at me and think I'm skinny. That's at the high end of healthy weight for my height - almost to overweight. I think I weigh so much because I have a lot of lean muscle. I found that I gained weight when I started exercising, but I lost body fat and toned up. Maybe that's what's happening with you. Good luck!
    Edited to add: I agree with the posters who say you aren't eating enough calories! Your body probably went into starvation mode and changed your metabolism.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    a pound of muscle may weigh the same as a pound of fat but a pound of muscle uses significantly less space than fat.
  • starsarahs
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem. I am eating around 1,000 calories a day but not exercising as much as you and in the last two weeks I have put on weight! It’s unbelievable considering I am eating so well. I don’t know what to say as I am just as stumped!!!
  • greer08
    greer08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi exactly the same happened to me! I weight 140 pounds and I'm 5'7'' I was eating the same amount of calories as yourself and excercising for a hour 4 times a week burning approx 400 per workout! I was not budging and 4 weeks later was getting me down! I then joined this site and did quite a lot or research to try to understand why!

Depending on how many calories you are burning it could well be that you are not consuming enough calories! If you are only eating 1000 -1200 and burning approx (just a guess) 300 then you could be going into a deficit of up to 700 calories. Our bodies can not survive on that alone and will go into starvation mode. You should not really let you net intake drop below 1100.

I will find an article to support what I'm saying! Just need to find it on the forum!:smile:
  • greer08
    greer08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Have a look at this link - might give you an idea. There is quite a lot of info on this sight about this topic! :smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Eat more. I know it sounds crazy but I have to eat more calories on days I exercise or my weight stays the same.
  • tremendacooke
    tremendacooke Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been following a 1000-1200 calorie diet for a month now and excercising 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. I weighed myself when I started 4 weeks ago and had not weighed again until this weekend... I am exactly the same! No loss at all, and not seeing any difference in the way clothes fit. Has this happened to anyone else? The excercise I'm doing is a kettlebell workout, which combines cardio with strength training in a full-body workout... trust me, something there is working because I thought I would die the first week and just today I have moved up to a 10lb kettlebell from a 4lb kettlebell. Any ideas on what I need to adjust or when I can expect to see progress?
    I know muscles use a lot of water when they are repairing themselves, that happens to me when I started P90X for 4 weeks couldnt loose weight , plus i was doing weight watchers so when I started cutting white carbs and drinking more water and also cut my sodium intake was a big difference dont get discourage we love ya and we are with you in this journey
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options