Real food versus those low fats etc

Options
Hi: I finally lost my first 10 pounds, 7 since joining here. Great website. I love the way it tracks the exercise to the calories. One thing that puzzles me, I am a "real food" fan and almost never eat anything that is process or called "light" or low fat. I'm surprised to see people still using aspartame, or low fat yogurt, etc. I don't think it helps anyone, and in fact, from some studies, hinders weight loss. Am I wrong?
Also, testing out my ticker, can't seem to get it right, hope it is this time.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    How does eating things that are low fat.. hindering your weight loss????
    Yeah the ticker works!!!
    Great job on your loss so far!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what you said , other than the low fat yogurt. Low fat yogurt is just made with lower % MF. That is like 1% milk vs whole milk of 2%.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Low fat yogurt is bad for you? I didn't know that. I've been eating the regular Activia which is 120 but the other day I had the low fat, which is 70 and it tasted too sweet but it made me feel good that it was only 70 calories. But if it's bad for you then no thank you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yeah the ticker works!!!

Depending on what you are eating that is lite, your body may not recognize it as food and metabolize it differently.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. For a lot of people, cooking everything from scratch is impossible, so to cut calories, you buy low calorie foods which can contain artificial sweetners. I've read research on both sides & still can't make up my mind - it depends upon what you read as to whether or not it's okay! I figure if it's working, it's okay. I also eat a lot of lowfat or non-fat yogurt & i've been able to lose 37 pounds, so something is working. I get my fats from things like olive oil, so I cut it from my yogurt. I do agree that the less chemicals, etc in foods is probably better for overall health, but each individual has to find what works for them in their specific situation.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. All of the newest information and my own personal experience point to the fact that low fat and processed food has gotten America to place where we are now. I know eating all that stuff got me to the point where I was (weight and health wise) before I ditched the processed foods. Unfortunately, too many people still think tht if the package says its good for you then it must be--having no regard for what the nutrition label SHOULD be telling them. I just pray that people will wake up to that before its too late for them.

I am doing very low carb and higher protein and fat due to the need to control blood sugar and have lost 24 pounds since mid-January 2011. Low carb is th only thing that has ever worked for me.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    This is completely off topic but ...
    you're 63??? Damn, you look good!
    All that real food is working!
  • Amarylis13
    Amarylis13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah the ticker works!!!

Depending on what you are eating that is lite, your body may not recognize it as food and metabolize it differently.

yes, especially if they add more sugar (or substitutes) or sodium to make up for the taste that you're missing with the lower fat content.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi: I finally lost my first 10 pounds, 7 since joining here. Great website. I love the way it tracks the exercise to the calories. One thing that puzzles me, I am a "real food" fan and almost never eat anything that is process or called "light" or low fat. I'm surprised to see people still using aspartame, or low fat yogurt, etc. I don't think it helps anyone, and in fact, from some studies, hinders weight loss. Am I wrong?

I think you're right in that the general thinking is slowly coming around to the idea that the lowfat craze has packed weight on us, rather than taking it off! Most people replace fats in the diet with simple carbs, which means they gain weight and have trouble losing fat due to the insulin response. If you're an Olympic athlete, you can use the extra carbs, but most of us are not exercising the majority of the day. ;)

I dont have as much of an issue with artificial sweeteners or low-fat dairy, as long as the fat in the dairy is not being replaced by added sodium (like in cottage cheese). Also in MANY lowfat products, the fat is replaced by a combination of sugar and salt, which is worse for you than the fat was!
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you read The Fat Fallacy? After I read that, i changed my way of eating - I sttil did not manage to get to the weight I wish to be but I felt better and had way less craving for sweets or fats. However, eating that way and adding exercise daily - that's what has made this weight loss better. I love the way I can track so easily my calories and energy, fabulous.

Low fat often means higher sugar or worse, fake sweeteners which increase cravings. Anyhow, I don't see any need to sacrifice eating what I like. I like real yogurt with either 2 percent or whole milk but I use plain and add fresh or frozen fruit plus honey - I use local honey which is also good for you. And on my oatmeal at breakfast I put either brown sugar or maple syrup. Other than one square of dark chocolate a day, (again a good antitoxin), I don't eat any other sugar other than I guess what is naturally present and I have way less cravings for anything else. In fact, I have no sugar cravings. When I was on eg diet coke or low fat yogurt with aspartane, I cravedbig time.
  • joaniegray
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment and yes, I am 63. Darn, wish I'd eaten and exercised much better when I was in my 30's but I feel in my 30s now so that's what matters today! Good luck to all and glad to see there are so many who agree. I too like my olive oil, must post my favorite olive oil, lime and red vinegar salad dressing
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    yes, especially if they add more sugar (or substitutes) or sodium to make up for the taste that you're missing with the lower fat content.
    [/quote]

That is the key to the unhealthiness of low-fat products. One place to begin: Look at the package (with EVERY product) at the ingredients - if you see anything that begins with "partially hydrogenated" put it back & walk away!

Raw, whole foods are the highest best. It is the type & amount we consume of the natural fat content that keeps our fat levels where they need to be.

And last, (first, really) -- fat is not what makes us fat. it is carbohydrates. What is used to fatten animals for slaughter (ugggh!) ??? Fat??? Of course not. Grain! High-density carbohydrates! Fat consumption in proper ratio is an important component in over all health & longevity. Carbs is what makes us "fat".

gyps
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In my post above:

was a quote that didn't post as such . . .

tks gyps
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    I compare the labels of "real" food and low fat food to gauge if the lower fat/cal food is worth it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

It's not just 'lite' foods either. I went to buy creme fraiche the other day, and in Tesco's it also contained pectin and tapioca starch. Now I know that creme fraiche is basically milk with bacteria in it. So why add pectin and tapioca? well, both are thickeners. Which instantly suggests to me that either Tesco's are trying to bulk out their products to make more moeny with less ingredients, or they don't know how to make creme fraiche properly. Aldi however, sold creme fraiche that included - milk, and bacterial cultures, like it should be.

We had a programme on a while back called 'Jimmy's Food Factory' where using basic methods (best I don't describe them) the presenter created many foods like peanut butter, marmite etc. very informative!!!

I agree that some 'low-fat' things are alright, but others I have to ask myself, 'why is this ingredient here?' '
  • joaniegray
    Options
    Reading the labels is a must - there is so much junk added even to what we think is healthy. eg gelatin in yogurt - that's why I prefer the higher fat yogurt, it doesn't need the thickener. My yogurt is made of skim milk, cream active bacterial cultures - it is 100 calories for 1/2 cup so it's high but I use 3 tbsps, 1/3 cup of blueberries or raspberries and 1 tsp honey with a drop of vanilla and yummy.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What I would say is that people are in very different places on this journey, and I feel it’s best to respect where people are. I think that the evolution of this process (especially for people who have 50 or more pounds to lose) begins simply with eating less, moves toward eating more food for less calories, and evolves to eating foods that nourish the body more than simply filling it. Almost everyone gets there eventually, but most people do not start this journey with a deep food and nutrition knowledge, or even a desire for good overall health. Most people just want to be thinner, the desire to be healthy evolves as they work through.

There are a lot of things in the American culture and politics that conspire against eating a strict whole food diet. So, people who manage to do so—or even come close—are the exception, and far from the rule. For that reason, although I am certainly a real food advocate, I do not criticize anyone else’s food choices. They are where they need to be on this journey. And I am where I need to be on mine.
  • joaniegray
    Options
    True, it's an individual journey. We can all learn from each other. Pick and choose what fits.