Keeping On Track While On Vacation

Options
Good morning everyone! I am going on vacation(myrtle beach, sc) at the end of April during my sons spring break...we are super excited! Anyways, I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to stay on track while we are away. It could be tricky with two a 6yr old and 4yr old, they are always hungry and we have to stop for fast food a few times. We have rented a two bedroom condo with full kitchen. We are having breakfasts and lunches in our room, and enjoying the beach/pool during the day....not the problem I have that worked out to still have my normal breakfast, and lean couisine for lunch. And I will most likely burn some calories chasing the kids by the pool/beach. Dinners are tricky with the various buffets and yummy food. Just wondering, would it be wrong to slack off a little while I am away? My plan is to get up before everyone else and take a nice long walk on the beach, at least 30 min, or perhaps excercise room in the evenings! We also do alot of walking at various parks and outdoor shopping centers. I think I will be ok, what are your opinions?

Replies

• tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Vacations are supposed to be fun! Stay active and just try to remember to make healthy decisions. At the buffets eat a healthy salad first and it will help fill you up before going to the less healthy choices. But most important is to have fun with your kids.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump.

I'm not going on vacation, but I have to go stay at the Ronald McDonald house in another city for 3 weeks with my 7yo while she undergoes some specialized therapy, so I need help here, too.
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! Vacations are tough...we're gearing up for our spring break as well.

First, do you really HAVE to stop for fast food? We road trip frequently and do everything we can to AVOID fast food...by packing a cooler full of healthy snacks for the road. I'll make sandwiches, bring yogurts, fruit, nuts, string cheese -- lots of easy hand-food and snacks for adults and kids alike. The trick is just to be prepared. We also usually stop at a grocery store if needed at our vacation spot, and stock up on more healthy lunch/breakfast stuff, and plan on only eating out at dinner time. Cooler is key here, too, but you can always get more ice from the ice machine. I think the best thing to do is try and balance health and relaxation...still try to eat healthy most of the time, but enjoy a splurge here and there. Vacations are great for staying on your feet, too. Go hiking on the beach! Take the kids! I loved going for sunset beach hikes when I was a kid :)

Have fun on your trip!
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    Great idea's, thank you! No we don't HAVE to stop for fast food! And if we HAVE to, most places have salads now, just though about it, I can pack my own salad...=) Thank you for the advice!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Keeping on track when I travel is my BIGGEST challenge and it's how I've packed on 20 lbs since 2008. I started taking a DVD with me to do power yoga. (because often the hotel gym sucks). This is a huge change for me because mostly I would convince myself that taking a walk in the morning was enough. It's really not because eating 3 meals out/day when I travel is packing on the weight big time.
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    mcdonalds yogurt and fruit parfaits are the BEST!! and a very healthy choice