You think gatorade is ok

Options
It actually has high fructose corn syrup in it which when i was watching the biggest loser they gave a trainer tip saying anything with that in it should be thrown out. Its even in some cereals and in most all sodas.

Replies

• xxmh123xx
    Options
    It actually has high fructose corn syrup in it which when i was watching the biggest loser they gave a trainer tip saying anything with that in it should be thrown out. Its even in some cereals and in most all sodas.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I pass on Gatorade and all those sports drinks because of the high fructose corn syrup. They all have some kind of sugar in it. I go for plain old water. I don't think that an average person exercise hard enough to need the extra electrolytes unless it's in the heat of summer where you are going to sweat excessively or if you work out hard for a long period of time. I think that the most important thing is to make sure that your diet contains the following: potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. We, as Americans already get more than our fair share of sodium. And as far as calcium, potassium & magnesium are concerned, just make sure that you are eating things that are high in these elements.

Save the Gatorade for when you have the stomach flu and can't keep any solids down.
  • donnagilmore
    Options
    My doc said propel is much better for you
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I thought Gatorade had a new product out. I may be mistaken. I thought I saw in the stores a sugar free one??

Are my eyes deceiving me??

My DH likes the blue frost. In the small bottles. Just to rehydrate.....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like yucky Kool-Aid, but amazingly, high fructose corn syrup won't give you cancer or steal your TV or do anything different than plain old sugar would. However, you don't need it unless you're planning on sweating a good deal for more than an hour. Otherwise, you're just drinking your calories back in. Unless you're used to eating while exercising, I'd stay clear of it because excess carbohydrate in the gut during strenuous activity can cause gas and diarrhea. And a bottle of Gatorade has a TON of carbohydrate. For a lighter way to replenish electrolytes, drink regular V8, it's loaded with sodium and potassium, but not sugar. Drink it after you've been sweating for more than 30 minutes. Anything less than that, and water will be fine.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I reserve the gatorade for distance cycling rides. That is the only time I allow myself to have it...40 or more miles!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    my fiance(who has a Bachelor of science in Physical Education) toldl me that gatorade is worthless. it doesn't do anything for you really except rehydrate you. You're better off saving your money and mixing a bit of sugar into plain old water. The sugar helps your body absorp the water more quickly, but gatorade just has way too much in it.