Eating your exercise calories.....

Options
Ok, I know this has been discussed a million times and I did a search and read up but did not find an answer.
Please someone explain to me WHY you have to eat them. It just makes no sense to me. If eat 1200 calories you still eat 1200 calories. No one wears a hrm all day to see what you burned through out the day and add those in so why would you add in the exercise calories if you are trying to lose weight? I seriously do not get it, perhaps it is a mental block (seriously) cause I can not wrap my head around this concept.

Replies

• miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You do NOT have to eat your exercise calories. Read this:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I don't get it, nor do I eat them. I'm losing at a steady pace without even looking at them. My Beachbody consultant advised me not to even worry about them. I do what works for me. It's all too confusing. As long as I know that I've burned some calories for the day, then that works for me!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • RUNMLT
    RUNMLT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i feel you....its a hard concept to grasp, but it makes some sense to me....i never eat all my exercise calories, but from i understand it works like this.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories even if you sat on the couch all day and did nothing. Like for me to maintain my current weight just sitting around my body needs like 1750 calories....but of course i cant sit around, i take a shower, walk around and exercise....after all that i may burn 850 to exercise alone leaving only 900 for my body to function.....

the rationale for your eating your calories is that your body needs those calories....i still have problems with the concept.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating mine...just because I can...and I am hungry...lol...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose 1 lb/week you have a 500 cal deficit at 1200 cals. To ensure you retain your goal deficit (1lb loss) you must eat back what you burn. So if you burn 500 caloires your deficit would have increased from 500 to 1000 (500 goal plus 500 from exercise) since your goal is 1lb/week you must eat the 500 back to get your deficit to 500 for the day.

Another way of looking at it is eating 1200 and not exercising is the same as eating 1700 and burning 500 calories. Your body need fuel to function and if you exercise it requires more. So to lose your goal amount of weight you eat 1200, if you exercise you eat those back to net 1200 (your goal) 1700-500). Otherwise your caloric deficit is larger than your goal, and if too large you may end up burning off muscle instead of fat to use as fuel. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be or you risk burning more muscle, which will slow your metabolism down.

If you went to a trainer they may tell you to eat 1500 calories everyday regardless if you workout that day or not as long as you do 5 days/week. MFP takes it one step further and says you may not workout so to lose weight without exercise you need 1200 cals. Now say you workout 5 days per week 450 calories per session. MFP tells you to eat 8400 (1200*7) plus exercise calories 2250 (450*5) per week for a total of 10650, while your trainer says eat 10500 (1500*7) per week. These number are only 150 apart, and MFP would have you lose weight if you didn't workout whereas your trainer gave you a caloric intake that you would only lose if you worked out.
  • ErinJ1981
    ErinJ1981 Posts: 72
    Options

LOL!!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    It works for me to eat them back, it works for my hubby NOT to eat them back, I'd try it both ways and see!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

LOL - excellent...

Although I don't agree 100% - depends on what your goals are. (Weigh loss, build muscle, maintenance etc)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    you eat the majority of your calories back because MFP already sets you at a deficit... you are ALREADY eating BELOW your maintenece.... so by eating your calories back you are providing fuel for you muscles so that they can repair themselves

when you do not eat your calories back your body will feast on your muscles after work out because your body is tired and the quickest thing for it to eat is muscle....

this is the FASTEST way to become skinny fat... sure you will lose weight but it will be muscle weight not fat weight....

Read the link in my signature.....
  • daniellejg
    Options
    I've been saying the same thing, because I feel like there's no way that any website can say you burned this many calories doing this can be entirely accurate. I'm always worried that it says I burned more calories than I actually did, so if I eat those calories, then I wont lose the weight...you know what I mean?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think the whole idea of eating your exercise is stupid. I don't do it! And I've lost 30-35 lbs in 9 weeks.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Oh God, I really do not want to be skinny fat! Aughhhhhh. So torn.
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You do NOT have to eat your exercise calories. Read this:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

You don't need to... but I definitely do. (Yeah, I just quoted myself. Lol.)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think the whole idea of eating your exercise is stupid. I don't do it! And I've lost 30-35 lbs in 9 weeks.
    As stated here, and in about 10,000 other forum posts, THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR EVERY BODY!

You have to try it both ways and see what works for you! There isn't really any right or wrong but the basic concept is to keep the body fueled and don't consume less than 1200 net calories per day! :bigsmile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That weight loss is a little too fast to be considered healthy, I'm sure you lost quite a bit of muscle along with the fat at that rate.

If you went to a trainer they may tell you to eat 1500 calories everyday regardless if you workout that day or not as long as you do 5 days/week. MFP takes it one step further and says you may not workout so to lose weight without exercise you need 1200 cals. Now say you workout 5 days per week 450 calories per session. MFP tells you to eat 8400 (1200*7) plus exercise calories 2250 (450*5) per week for a total of 10650, while your trainer says eat 10500 (1500*7) per week. These number are only 150 apart, and MFP would have you lose weight if you didn't workout whereas your trainer gave you a caloric intake that you would only lose if you worked out.

No trainer or nutritionist, knowing you workout, would ever give you a calorie goal as low as MFP. MFP assumes you will not be working out, then adjusts your caloires up to account for exercise when you do it.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I think the whole idea of eating your exercise is stupid.

Yeah, damn that "stupid" math and that "stupid" science and all that other "stupid" logical bull crap. It's so totally worthless.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    As stated here, and in about 10,000 other forum posts, THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR EVERY BODY!

You have to try it both ways and see what works for you! There isn't really any right or wrong but the basic concept is to keep the body fueled and don't consume less than 1200 net calories per day! :bigsmile:

eating 1200 "Net" requires that you eat back your exercise calories.... if your daily goal is set at 1200...
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've asked my trainer who is familiar with the website and actually recommends it, and she said that I don't need to. I know some people say that you're supposed to but knowing that the human body doesn't work like "clock work" is a good indicator that you should do what works best for you. Someone previously recommended trying it both ways. I would second that recommendation so that way you know for you, what works best.

Good luck!!!!
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Oh God, I really do not want to be skinny fat! Aughhhhhh. So torn.

if you don't want to eat your exercise calories back, I would suggest bumping up your weight lifting and lowering your Cardio... I would also bump up your calories to right around your BMR... that is what I did and it has worked wonders.

The more weight lifting you do the more muscle you will build, the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism will help you burn through fat, and the bigger your muscle to fat ratio is (in favor of muscle) the more you can eat to fuel those muscles... so hit the weights double hard... no worries you wont become the hulk! lol