Birthday Cake suggestions

Options
ace175
ace175 Posts: 518 Member
Hey guys! This weekend is my wonderful dad's birthday and I'm going home to surprise him! I want to make him a birthday cake, but was wondering if anyone has any delicious recipes they'd like to share? He loves chocolate, but I don't just want to do just chocolate cake w/ chocolate frosting, something different but still yummy and on the healthier end (if possible lol)! Would love if anyone shared please! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    if you use a mix, just sub egg beaters and apple sauce!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot and I recently made some yummy banana cupcakes with chocolate filling and peanut butter frosting. All the recipes were from Martha Stewart's website, so you can search for them there.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake is a pretty good option (I know it is not chocolate) but then mix light jello pudding and light cool whip cream together as an icing.
  • ej_xo
    ej_xo Posts: 75
    Options
    Use LIGHT COOL-WHIP for frosting :)
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    fatfreevegan.com has a few good recipes... they have a chocolate/cherry cake recipe that looksdelicious, its lower fat.... everything I have made from their recipes is yummy :)
  • sbrake
    sbrake Posts: 25
    Options
    if you use a mix, just sub egg beaters and apple sauce!

love this idea thank!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i love making trifles - such a wonderful, elegant presentation, extremely easy to whip together, and you can add whatever you like! :) here are a couple recipes that you can start off with to get some ideas:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Berry-Trifle/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Trifle/Detail.aspx

i like to do a combo of the two - using chocolate pudding spiked with kahlua, and using fruit instead of the brownies to give it a lighter feel. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, whatever you want! i also make real whipped cream instead of using cool whip - it is more caloric but the taste can't be beat! ;)
  • ace175
    Options
    i love making trifles - such a wonderful, elegant presentation, extremely easy to whip together, and you can add whatever you like! :) here are a couple recipes that you can start off with to get some ideas:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Berry-Trifle/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Trifle/Detail.aspx

i like to do a combo of the two - using chocolate pudding spiked with kahlua, and using fruit instead of the brownies to give it a lighter feel. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, whatever you want! i also make real whipped cream instead of using cool whip - it is more caloric but the taste can't be beat! ;)

That sounds delicious! I might try that!
    Thank you!
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake is a great option. You can probably find a chocolate recipe online. Frosting is tough: maybe use sugar free choc pudding and decorate with fresh fruit.
  • AlyssaG88
    Options
    One of my favorites is black bean brownies. Just replace the wet ingredients (oil and eggs) in any packaged brownie mix for 1 pureed can of black beans. They turn out really fudgy and you can't taste the beans at all.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/black-bean-brownies-2-pts.html
  • ace175
    Options
    One of my favorites is black bean brownies. Just replace the wet ingredients (oil and eggs) in any packaged brownie mix for 1 pureed can of black beans. They turn out really fudgy and you can't taste the beans at all.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/black-bean-brownies-2-pts.html

Wow...beans...really?! I've never heard of that! You really can't taste the beans at all?? Do you think I could do the beans, but make a cake instead of brownies?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If he likes chocolate cake, get a chocolate cake mix, skip the eggs and oil and use 1 can of diet coke or diet dr. pepper instead. For icing use chocolate pudding and whip cream...both of which come in a lower-calorie sugar-free version. The cake is SUPER moist and delish and way better for you than normal chocolate cake. :)
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If he likes chocolate cake, get a chocolate cake mix, skip the eggs and oil and use 1 can of diet coke or diet dr. pepper instead. For icing use chocolate pudding and whip cream...both of which come in a lower-calorie sugar-free version. The cake is SUPER moist and delish and way better for you than normal chocolate cake. :)

Just what I was going to suggest...very yummy!! Even try it with Diet Sunkist...give that orange flavor to it!!
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Any boxed cake mix and one can of pumpkin (use instead of oil, eggs and water). Mix it together (it will be sticky) and bake according to directions. The pumpkin adds only the wet side of the ingredients but no flavor - the cake tastes like cake and it's super moist and delish

Frosting is tough - I'd look for a cream cheese icing recipe you can "lighten" up. Also - I often use a can of redi-whip - it's yummy and only 15 calories per two tbsp.
  • TaraSalazar
    Options
    My son has heart disease so I am very conscience of what goes into food. In place of oil I use canned pumpkin and milk in place of water and egg beaters in place of eggs. For frosting I like to use light cool whip mixed with a nonfat snack packs (any flavor).
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Yogurt Cake...I have made this recipe before & it is very good & looks company worthy, especially if done in layers & garnished w/fresh strawberries.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/strawberry-yogurt-cake/537e991b-bf18-46cb-a212-e3057b0e52cd

I did substitute low-fat whip cream mixed w/a little strawberry yogurt for the frosting. Also, you could probably use an angel food cake mix to make it even lower in cals if you wanted and/or substitute egg beaters or egg whites for the eggs.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My husband's bday is Thursday and I am making him some low cal red velvet cupcakes. I got the receipe from skinnytaste.com. There are lots of other cake and dessert recipes that sound super yummy!
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury has some sugar free cake mixes (which were pretty good). But, DO NOT use their sugar free frosting. It was gritty and greasy tasting. I even tried to whip it with a mixer to get a better consistency, but it didn't help. Although in general, that's a good way to double your frosting. Just beat it for a couple of minutes to get it lighter and fluffier, so you don't have to use as much.
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Ooooh...bettycroker.com has a peppermint cake recipe...I made it a lot during the holidays...it's fun to make too! I would subsitute the white cake for choolate (I think pilsbury has a reduced sugar kind) and get a white/vanilla and keep it white and put the peppermint extract in it. . . it'll be swirl. It would be like a thin mint cake :O)