I Hate Desk Jobs!

Options
My first desk job, over the past year, has assisted me in packing on 10 or so solid pounds. I'm looking to get rid of this, and more, pronto. In addition to getting rid of this job!

Let's hope I can make it...

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate desk jobs as well. The secret is--don't eat at your desk and walk every day. Walk in your office park, walk to run errands...just get away from that desk for 30-60 minutes/day. Your brain and body will thank you!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Is it possible to take a walk or climb stairs during breaks and lunch time?:smile: The weather has not been the best here to do that yet. But I'm looking forward to it.
  • basalmouse
    Options
    I work at a desk job and have for over 2 years. I to gained weight. but i have become more active during my lunches and breaks at work, as well as taking zumba classes at my local ymca i have already lost 30 pounds by just upping my activity and watching what i eat. NO SNACKING at my desk...unless fruits and veggies.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I have a desk job and plan my workouts around it. 5 am, Noon, and 5 pm. Good luck!
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    All very good avice!! I to have a desk job and I think I'm gonna have to start going for a walk on my lunch breaks AND stop snacking at my desk lol. Good luck! Welcome :)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I worked at a desk job for 8 months and gained 17 pounds while trying to "diet." Had no time to exercise because I was at work all day for 5 days per week, then came home with enough time to put my kids in bed and get 7 hours of sleep myself before doing it all over again. I almost never had time to take a "lunch."

I just went back to my old fast-paced, constantly on my feet job, and I've lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. Plus I work 3 - 12 hour shifts now and am able to work out during the week again.

I don't know how people do it.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too! It's hard because you're not as active during the day as you like. One blessing in disguise our printer/fax/scanner is up 15 stairs and I have to use the printer/scanner quite frequently. Also we have 2 offices in 2 separate buildings and my mailbox is in the other building so I make sure to get up and check my mail at least 3x's a day.
    Plus I work out after work and on weekends so that helps too!

I pack healthy snacks and have built up my will power to say no to the donuts that are ALWAYS around ;)

Good luck!
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Options
    I get up a lot during the day. I drink a ton of water so that means lots of trips to the bathroom. I take the long way everywhere. I only keep healthy snacks at my desk.

Also, get an early morning workout in. I'm up at 5:30am every morning to hit the workout.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I was just complaining about this! I'm in the Navy, but my current command is shore duty and I'm stuck at a desk 10 hours a day. I vowed not to gain weight. I gave up sugary soda and fast food. I watch my calories and I stopped eating chips (even baked chips). I bring a small amount of chocolate to take care of my chocolate craving. I stay away from the snack machines. And I try to work out every day., before and after work. Thanks to all of these things, I've still managed to lose 5lbs with the help of this site.

As soon as my enlistment is up I'm getting a job that has me on my feet ALL day.
  • Gorgena
    Gorgena Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the support/advice! I'm really happy to be here and think this will really help me reach my goals.

Yes, as the weather is starting to warm up, I've been walking during lunch, and walking home from work (about 2 miles). I plan on getting a bike, next, and biking to and from work.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ive always had a desk job (well last 9 years), just make sure you exercise after you get home. Im sure you can do it.xx
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is just like the freshman 15 that you gain in college. A desk job is very difficult if you don't take the time to get up and walk. We feel like if we leave our desk we are going to miss something. Every hour or so I get up and stretch and take a walk. Since the weather is about to break, I take a brisk walk around our building (about 8 city blocks around) this gets me some fresh air and some exercise. Also, I keep healthy snacks and water nearby.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome that you can walk home from work! Sounds like you are doing a great job.
  • msdominique1
    msdominique1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration as I have always worked office/desk jobs for the past 9 years now...

It is very difficult... I realized now that in order for me to lose this weight I have to take the iniative and become more active during and after work... I sit at my desk majority of the day, but i do try to take the stairs more often as opposed to the elevators @ work... I ride the bus to work as opposed to driving, so I have to walk a lil distance to get to my building or sometimes get off a few stops away so I can walk more to my building.

I also try to eat lots of fruits and veggies and try to bring my own lunch to work as opposed to eating in the cafeteria...

We also have a gym in our building, but I workout every day after work.

I am going to start walking around the building soon as well. It helps me stay awake as well as gives a boost of energy thoroughout the day as well.