Pain while working out

Options
Okay I have a questions about pain. When I first started working out about 1 1/2 months ago I was on an elliptical. I started having a lot of pain in my left knee. So instead I started a walking program with a dvd. Some days it would hurt but mostly I was fine. Today I couldn't get through more than 3 mins before I was in severe pain. So I stopped. I am seeing my doctor on Thursday so I can ask her about the pain. My question is should I lower my calories for the next few days since I won't be able to exercise? Also has anyone else experienced this. should I just work through the pain? I'm not sure I can since everytime I move my knee it sends a sharp pain and my leg buckles. I'm afraid of falling. any thoughts?

Replies

• Wolffeathers
    Options
    Go see a doctor. Could be that you hurt yourself. If it's severe enough, the doc may tell you to lay off the cardio. Or, even that you have to go under the knife. Also, DO NOT WORK THROUGH THE PAIN. Soreness is one thing, pain tells you something is wrong. Only lower your calories if your over your daily calorie goal from eatting back what you work off.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't lower your calories, stay within the goal MFP set for you.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi ya,i dont know how much you wigh but if it's quite a bit like me or the old me! then yes i had knee pain galore just for walking up the stairs let alone exersiceing...
    very very rarely do i get it now as ive lost a little weight!
    if you just try to do the exersices that dont hurt it or even walking/swimming that will burn off those cals xx
    keep an eye on it...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    dont lower your calories... they are already set lower than your maintainence... you wont gain weight.
  • Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you've been stretching or not.

I had something similar happen to me last year. We bought an elliptical in January and since it's a no-impact exercise, I thought I didn't have to stretch. Within a couple of months or so I noticed a pain in my left thigh area. It was kind of a pulling pain. Sometimes it was so severe that I could barely move it.

I finally stopped exercising and the pain stopped but every time I started exercising again, it would come back. My doctor suggested that I start stretching and my sister-in-law said that she was having pain and stretching helped her so I tried it. Although the pain isn't completely gone, it has gotten better.

Since it's your knee, it may be an injury, but chances are if you haven't been stretching or haven't stretched enough, that may be the cause, especially if you are getting older. I'm in my 40s. Good luck.

Sharon
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would say listen to your body. If you ignore pain and injure yourself, or further injure yourself, then it will just take that much longer to get back into your exercising. Hopefully your dr. can give you some exercises to help the knee. In the meantime, maybe some water based things? swimming, or aquafit or something? Might take the weight off your knee enough to let you keep some activity without pain or injury. Or try some different exercises, see what doesn't bother it. Could cut some calories back, but if you're not logging exercise, mfp will keep your calories to a level to meet the goals you've set, right?
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Don't work through the pain, wait and see what your doctor says!!!

Don't lower your calories, MFP already has them set low for weight loss without exercise . . .but you will have to kind of lower them since you won't be eating back exercise calories :(

So glad you are getting it checked out. Knees and shoulders are important joints that should not be ignored when they are in pain.