damn emotional eating

Options
mk820
mk820 Posts: 137 Member
Well, yesterday I was told I'll be laid off work July 1.
My MIL lives with us and is on hospice. Yesterday was a really bad day. She was in alot of pain. I finally got her to swallow some liquid morphine. 4 months ago we moved her in with us. Her doctor said she probably only had a couple of weeks to live.
Since she's lasted so long this is now harder than we thought it would be.
I ate a bunch of empty calories last night. I noticed I was keeping count of the calories....ended up 8 below my daily allowance but it is a slippery slope. Just wanted someone to know life is a little hard right now.
Thanks for reading.

Replies

• summadmak
    summadmak Posts: 44
    Options
    I am so sorry things are so hard for you right now.

Keep taking care of yourself, as you are important too!!!
  • curtcamp23
    Options
    Best wishes to you and your family on getting through this difficult time. On the upside you have 3 months to find a new position and it could be a fresh start. Good luck.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! That's a lot to handle all at once. I wish I had good advice for you, other than maybe take that walk around the block instead of grabbing for those empty calories. Physical movement should help to relive some of that additional emotional stress. Good luck to you! Keep on, one day at a time, and know that everyone on MFP is there to help support you!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for all of the things you are dealing with :( I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Things will get better!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear things are so hard for you right now. Great job keeping track even through a very emotional day. You are stronger than you think! Keep your chin up.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say something to make you feel better - you're dealing with a lot right now...just know that there are people out there willing to listen and be there for you!!!
  • rlpetersen
    Options
    I'm sorry you are facing all of this. I can only imagine how hard all of that must be for you. You did good by still tracking calories and logging them but that is definately an easy rut to get into when we eat because we are upset: I have been there far too much. Keep your chin up, I will say a prayer for your situation. Good luck with continuing to acheive your weight loss goals. :smile:
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.Keep your head up everyone has slip ups just jump right back on the wagon and remember u r important too so do not let other things get in the way hope things get better for u
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ok so here is an idea if you are not already doing this. Have you thought about registering to be considered this persons personal care attendant? If you do then you can get paid to take care of this person and that will help to relieve the stress of losing your job at least a little. You spouce can do the same thing and get paid for the times they are there and you are not. You would need to check with S.R.S. or something like that to get things rolling. I am not sure on the details but know of a couple of differant people that are doing just this. One lady is taking care of her sister_ in _ law that lives with her. And another is taking care of a good freind that lives with her. I am not sure which country you live in and if this would work if you are outside of the United States, and even then maybe it would depend on the sate you are in. BUt I would say it is worth looking into to make this a little less stressful on you.
  • critiry3
    critiry3 Posts: 51
    Options
    Sorry your having a rough time. As always no matter what happens " take care of your self." I wish I can tell you that there is an easy way to deal with all this, but I can't. So all I can say any emotional aspect of are self always pertains to acknowledgment of self. So acknowledge your feelings and care for your self. People are often focus on" Physical Health" and never realized they need to care for their mental health as well. Because they kind of go hand in hand. So don't suppress by emotionally drowning your feelings with food, but take a proactive approach and care for yourself all around.
  • mkfehringer
    Options
    My prayers are with you. I can totally relate to the tough day and emotional eating. The upside is that you kept track. Awareness is key (at least for me). Hang in there.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you have so much on you right now. :flowerforyou: I don't know how you feel about this and I hope that I will not offend you....I will say a little prayer for you and your family. Take care of you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was laid off from my job in Nov. 2007 with no notice and a few days later my grandmother went into the hospital for the last time. The only good part about my layoff was I suddenly had lots of free time to spend with my grandmother during her last days. It was a really rough time for me so I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I now have a better job, so some things happen for a reason, I think!

Try not to let your emotions control your eating habits. Remind yourself that although you really think you want that cookie or potato chip you're going to feel guilty and angry the moment you swallow it. Don't keep any junk in the house, if you can avoid it. Buy healthy things you can snack on a lot like baby carrots and snap peas so if you do need some empty minded eating you won't blow your calories for the day. You need to take care of yourself right now, especially. You may find that exercise helps your mood, I know a lot of people do. Try to find a little extra time for it.

Good luck! What you're going through won't be easy but you'll be a much stronger person for it in the long run.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry :( This must be such a hard time. We are here for you!! *HUG*
  • kitykatinlv
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too, so I totally understand. But remember, even though you ate some empty calories you still kept your calorie count under the limit, so you should be very proud of yourself for that. If I were going to fall off the diet wagon it would be into a tub of chocolate. :tongue:
    I'm really sorry about your job. Boy, talk about stress. Hopefully it won't be for long...
    My mom lived with us for 2 1/2 yrs and 18 months of that time she was bedridden, but only on hospice care at home for the last 2 months. Doctors never really know how long someone is going to live. It's just a judgement guess. Have you considered putting your mil in a hospice facility to give yourself a break? We have Nathan Addleson here and they are wonderful. Her doctor just has to say she's not expected to live another 3 months. In or out of hospice they still pay for her pain meds and they can give her pain patches. Or put a picc line (like an IV but it won't leak or have to be changed) in her arm and you can give her pain medicine that way. That would keep her out of pain cuz you wouldn't have to try to get her to swallow something. Eventually she probably won't (be able to) open her mouth to even swallow the liquid morphine. I know my mom got like that. Her jaws were clamped. And if she didn't want to open her mouth, she wasn't going to open her mouth! My husband was a Godsend. I don't what I would have done without him. The hardest part for me was that my mom had Alzheimer's when she came to live with us. And up until almost the very end she would get so angry over the silliest little things, and she was suspicious and accusing us of things that couldn't have possibly happened, and there was no reasoning with her. I know she couldn't help it, but it was so difficult for me to live with day after day. If your mil doesn't have Alzheimer's consider it a big blessing. My best to you. Take care.
    Sorry about the book. I've never been known to write short stores.
  • dbleoangel
    Options
    Sorry to hear that but I bet a lot of us can relate. Focus on your health so you can stay strong to help you mil and family thru hard times. Without our health nothing else matters. My grandfather used to always tell me that and it's so true. I can be an emotional eater or non eater. Depends on what is stressing me out. I'm learning to deal with it. Your in my prayers!:flowerforyou:
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and prayers! A lot of you told me to keep my chin up. I just realized, I only have one chin now to hold up.
    I'm sorry for the troubles some of you have endured. You made me realize things could be a lot worse. Thank you, Thank you!
  • gagster
    gagster Posts: 12
    Options
    So sorry for your hard times. It is so wonderful that your MIL has you to take care of her, eventhou it is a hard job. Keep the chin up, you will do just fine. Just keep entering your intake into this site and it will help to keep you on track.