The scale wont budge!

Options
I have only been on this sight for 3 days, i lost a pound on the first day and now I'm back to my starting weight. In the past, when I have lost weight i saw a couple pounds of water weight dissapear by now. i'm feeling a little discouraged to say the least. I was wondering if some people can give me examples of what they eat in a typical day. I have researched the site and I have been eating all of my 1200 calories and my excerise calories. I know the quality of my calories has room for improvement but like I said i still should be losing some water weight right? What did everyone else experience during their first couple days on the sight??

SW:178
CW;178
GW: 150

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I wouldn't be too discouraged yet, you just started 3 days ago. If you feel comfortable, open up your diary so we can help you out on your food choices. Sometimes it takes the body a couple of weeks to jump start.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself every day. I would weigh yourself once a week Also weigh yourself before you eat anything and after you go to the bathroom.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I also worked out for 3 WEEKS before any weight came off!
  • hclayton46
    hclayton46 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's only been 3 days. You need to give yourself more time and set some realistic, attainable goals. In addition to a 1200 calorie diet, exercise is key as well. Lots of lean proteins and cut out all the bad stuff: chips, candy, etc. and enjoy those items in moderation or replace with more healthy items. For example, a bag of chips can be 400+ calories. When I'm craving chips, I love ot eat the Special K Cracker crisps for 100-something calories for 27 chips! Lots of fruit and veggies, but watch the sugar. My success has only come with exercise and diet.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'd see any difference in just a couple of days. In fact, some people don't see weight loss until a few months of working out and eating right. At the very least, give it a solid week. Don't get discouraged, it is a slow process but you will be so happy in the end!
  • humbug12
    humbug12 Posts: 18
    Options
    I try really really hard not to weigh myself everday. I used to do it and then I realized that it was my water weight going up and down. Now I try to do that once a week, but sometimes I fail. Try not to weigh youself everyday and you're probably putting on muscle mass and that's why the scale is not moving. Give it some time and weigh youself again in a week.
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree. weigh yourself weekly, weight fluctuates hourly :)
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable, open up your diary. Keep a close eye on your sodium, it can be super hard to keep down sometimes. Take a look at people's diaries to see what they eat. Don't go off of mine for the past week, though! (It's been a rough and busy week!) I plateaued for 2 weeks when I first started, and I still havent budged much in the month that I have been at it. Dont give up, we all lose weight differently. Good luck!
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    Do not weight yourself everyday, thats just punishment lol
    MAYBE weigh yourself once a week, I don't even do that.
    Measure yourself now, and then weigh yourself every 2 weeks and measure once a month. Track progress that way.
    Drink lots, and lots of water at least 8 glasses
    I eat a lot of "plants" = veggies, fruit, salads and huge ones at that
    I eat brown rice, wheat pasta, whole wheat bread.....if I'm eating a carb its a complex one, not just filler.
    Don't expect weight to melt away, it takes time and effort :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Please do not weigh yourself each day. That's a fast trip to crazytown!

Your weight will fluctuate quite a bit from day to day, based on time of day, clothing, water retention or dehydration, whether or not you've emptied your bowel, etc. You didn't magically create a 3500 calorie deficit on the day you lost a pound, nor did you magically create a 3500 calorie surplus on the day you went up a pound.

There is no 'immediate feedback' from the scale that is of any use at all. The scale can be used to track an overall trend in weight, but that's it.

Pick a day to weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning, naked, before breakfast. Put the scale somewhere out of sight for the rest of the week.

The only thing you need to be measuring the rest of the week is how well you are meeting your eating plan and exercise goals. If you change your behavior, the scale WILL move.

ETA: I agree that taking some measurements now is a very good idea!

And why are you on 1200 per day? Did you set it to lose 2lbs per week? I'd go back and put it at 1 lb per week.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I only record weight once a week. Your weight is going to fluctuate on a daily basis. Try weighing yourself in the morning, then at night. It's going to be way different. And...you have only been at it in 3 days. Give yourself several weeks to show results.
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to stay off the scale for at least a week. Your weight can fluctuate from one day to the next, up and down, due to many different factors. As a former scale junkie, I know how hard it can be to stay off of them.

One of the best ways to measure weight loss is to take measurements every couple of weeks.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. As much as I'd love to lose my 70 pounds in a hurry, I know they aren't gonna stay off unless I do it slow.

Stick with your calorie logging, exercise, and eat regularly (every 2-3 hours), so your body is constantly burning, and you will start seeing changes soon!

:flowerforyou: