What the heck is...........

Options
a sugar free probiotic, exactly?

Is there such thing as a sugar free yogurt?

Replies

• jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Yeah there is. Well usually it's low sugar and contains aspartame, splenda, or some other artificial sweetener. I personally try to stay away from that stuff. But everyone is different :) I hope that helps.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Acidopholis (not sure of the spelling) is a great probiotic that you can just roofie your water with if you're just looking for probiotics.
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try Greek yogurt. It’s lower in carbs and sugar and higher in protein, and yes, they do have some with 0 sugar.
  • MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will try some Greek yogurt. I am just afraid cuz I have heard it's pretty nasty but the benefits are suppose to be so good so I wanted to see what else there is probiotics. I suppose I could just take it in supplement form.

Thanks guys!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I never buy regular yogurt anymore. I much prefer the texture and taste of Greek...I can't go back! I buy plain yogurt then add a little fruit jam for sweetness so I don't get anywhere near the amount of sugar or calories that flavored yogurt contains (I won't eat the ones with fake sugar).
  • kpjarc
    kpjarc Posts: 1
    Options
    You need lifeway Kefir. http://www.lifeway.net/Products/LowCarbKefir.aspx this stuff has 10 active cultures of probiotics, it tastes great, you can just drink it from the bottle. I couldn't live without the stuff. I have terrible diverticulitis and this keeps my digestive track working smoothly every day. I LOVE IT.
  • MrsBehaving
    Options
    I have a friend whose husband is diabetic and he eats Greek yogurt mixed with sugar free jam. Maybe I will try that. I am a little sad about giving up my Yoplait Fiber One Key Lime Pie yogurt. That's my fave. Thanks for all the thoughts!
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like the Greek yogurt with 0 sugars; I mix 1 equal and a hand full of granola, Yum! I too prefer the texture as well.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can certainly get "no added sugar" yoghurt.
    In my part of the world it's called plain yoghurt. Check the label for one that just contains milk and cultures (that's the good bacteria that you want).
  • MrsBehaving
    Options
    I checked at the grocery and I see lots of greek yogurt. Some say 2% some say 0% but I have been unable to find any yogurt, greek or not greek, that has NO sugar. The lowest I have found was 12g of sugar per serving. All the yogurt is like, fat free, or light. Nothing I could find said, no sugar, or no added sugar. Nothing like that. And I was shocked at how many calories greek yogurt has! I set it back down and walked away. :noway:
    I did find a probiotic supplement so I think I will try it that way instead of eating all those calories but still get the health benefits.

Thanks all!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You cannot find yogurt with no sugar. Sugars are naturally occurring in dairy products. You can find yogurt that does not have sugar added to it. Check the ingredient list.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Plan greek yogurt, the full fat kind, has no sugar, at least Fage (the brand name) greek yogurt has none. The reason you can't find any is because that 2% and 0% crud has added sugars to make it edible. Go with the full fat kind, fat is good for you anyway.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    You won't be able to find one with no sugar. The 12 grams is from the dairy! Good luck on your hunt!