Lactose Intolerant!?

Options
Just found out that I may be lactose intolerant... problem is DAIRY IS A STAPLE IN MY DIET. Milk, yogurt, cheese..chocolate & icecream!? Any suggestions for products/entrees/whatever?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to react poorly to lactose, but once I added yogurt to my eating it seems to have settled down, the beneficial stuff from yogurt seems to have restored balance in me unless I go overboard with milk products.

Cereal with water in place of milk works, takes some getting used to perhaps but it allowed me to keep eating cereal at least.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband and son are also. We use organic soy based milk/yogurt/cheeses. We also use organic almond milk for a lot of stuff too. The only dairy I keep in the house is my string cheese!
  • Katie0429
    Katie0429 Posts: 15
    Options
    Are you looking for creamy delicious-ness that you won't be able to live without once you try it? ALMOND MILK. I don't know what to tell you about the cheese, but once you go almond, you never go back. :) I recently took a nutrition class and learned that there is an enzyme you can take that will help your body break down the lactose, so that might help.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My daughter is lactose intolerant. You may find that yogurt won't bother you. I think yogurt and some types of cheese have low levels of lactose. My daughter likes almond milk. Also, Tofutti makes some tasty ice cream and spreadable products. Vegan products don't contain any dairy.
  • bellaw2011
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. However, I can tolerate certain types of dairy like Milk and Cheese, but not heavy creams like ice cream and alfredo sauce. I use Organic Farms Fat Free Lactose Free Milk. I agree with the other post that yogurt with the digestive bacteria really helps. Also, Boar's Head makes Swiss Cheese that is lactose free. There are a lot of products out there that are lactose free, you just have to keep an eye out. Many specialty stores that carry vegan products will have a ton of lactose free products too.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    you can still eat yogurt. for some reason it doesnt effect the lactose intolerant!
  • Johnny760
    Johnny760 Posts: 30
    Options
    Try Lactaid products. They have milk, ice cream and cottage cheese.
    lactaid.com
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lactaid milk is an option, a bit more pricey but if you cant handle the reprocussions of when you have dairy its worth it. they also make lactose free products, you just usually have to look in the "health food", aisles in the grocery store, usually not a wide variety. I've never been to a whole foods or a trader joes, but they may be options if they are in your area.

Then there is the lactaid pills that you take with the first bite of your dairy product, they work well too.

good luck,
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My husband is lactose intolerant, but he can have yogurt. I pack him one everyday for lunch.

I am sensitive to the amount of lactose in milk and ice cream.

My husband and I both drink Lactaid milk. With that brand I can't tell the difference except I drink the fat free and it does not have the blueish color so many don't like about regular milk. Also, whenever my husband or I want ice cream, pizza, or cheese we both take Lactaid enzymes and that does help.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    there is also Lactaid capsules you can take before every meal.....
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I avoid lactose products as it dries out my skin and makes me itch.

I used to drink soya milk or goats milk, but now find Lactofree milk from Arla seems fine. I have adjusted my diet to have very little dairy - I have porridge made with water for breakfast, or even salmon and rice. I eat cheese rarely and then only expensive cheeses, and just tolerate the effects.

I use soya or goats milk yoghurt on my porridge. Haven't found a decent ice-cream yet - tried making my own rice milk and creating strawberry ice-cream. Trust me, it belonged in the bin.

I think I have just reduced my dairy enough so the small amounts I take are tolerated. But like I said, it's my skin that gets it (makes me feel dehydrated from the inside out)
  • chilipeppers
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant as well and i use:
    milk: almond or soy milk (almond breeze/vitasoy) aside from being more delicious than milk, they are also super low cal and fat, almond breeze is as low as 40 calories a cup!
    cheese: daiya vegan "cheez", comes in shreds or blocks. It is delicious, it melts, has a good texture and tastes closest to real cheese than any other vegan cheeses I've tried. It does NOT have that rubbery texture and it actually tastes good, trust me! you can find it at health food stores.
    Ice Cream: mmm, so many kinds of dairy free ice cream! Coconut Bliss is my favorite, but it is pretty high calories (albeit, not as high as dairy ice cream) as it is made from coconut milk. Less high calorie dairy free ice creams are Purely Decadent and Soy Nice, both of those come in flavors like chocolate cherry nirvana, chocolate chip cookie dough, vanilla, chocolate chip mint etc.

I'm not too sure on the yogurt, as I'm not a huge fan, but I know there are soy products for this. There are also alternatives to all sorts of different cheeses, sour cream etc! I suggest checking out your local health food store for some of these things!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    There are numerous lactose free products on the market. Also, I'm a huge fan of Almond Milk. Love the stuff.
  • elledoll
    elledoll Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use lactaid pills before I eat dairy.