Weight loss & pregnancy success stories

Options
I'd like to hear about success stories of people who have taken off weight and then became pregnant. How much did you take off before getting pregnant? How was your pregnancy? - basically I'm looking for any happy stories you care to share.
Thanks!

Replies

• anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well. I'd like to get healthy and get in shape before becomming pregnant!
  • heathersouthern09
    Options
    ME TO!
  • heathersouthern09
    Options
    ME TO!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I never had trouble getting pregnant, but as a labor and delivery nurse I can recall quite a few women who said, "We tried for years and then I lost 40 lbs and bang we got pregnant . . . " or "turns out the weight was throwing my hormones off" . . . plus, women who are fit do so much better with the whole labor and delivery process so kudos to you for having that as a goal for yourselves. Me, I put on most of my weight after my last two pregnancies. (They were 11 months apart and then when they were babies my husband travelled all the time, I put on my weight then) Good luck!
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm having no luck with getting my body back to normal after being on the depo jab for years. Really hoping that losing weight will get my cycle back - it's been over a year now :-(

Best of luck to you all!
  • mommykimberly
    Options
    ME ME ME...

I tried to get pregnant for about 7 years. Kept going to the Dr and was told everything is fine there is no reason I should not be able to get pregnant except for my weight. I weighed about 280. I am 5'8". I starting eating healthier and hit the gym 5 days a week. I lost about 82 lbs, I got down to 198. 4 months after getting down to 198 I was pregnant. My daughter is 14 months old and now I am trying to lose the last 40 of the 60 lbs I gained while pregnant with her. So the Dr's were right. It was my weight that was keeping me from pregnancy.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That is what really got me motivated to lose weight! I have diabetes and I'd like to lose at LEAST 100lbs before we try again. Much easier on myself and the baby :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME...

I tried to get pregnant for about 7 years. Kept going to the Dr and was told everything is fine there is no reason I should not be able to get pregnant except for my weight. I weighed about 280. I am 5'8". I starting eating healthier and hit the gym 5 days a week. I lost about 82 lbs, I got down to 198. 4 months after getting down to 198 I was pregnant. My daughter is 14 months old and now I am trying to lose the last 40 of the 60 lbs I gained while pregnant with her. So the Dr's were right. It was my weight that was keeping me from pregnancy.

Yeay! I'm happy to hear your success story. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • redefiningmyself
    Options
    I never had trouble getting pregnant, but as a labor and delivery nurse I can recall quite a few women who said, "We tried for years and then I lost 40 lbs and bang we got pregnant . . . " or "turns out the weight was throwing my hormones off" . . . plus, women who are fit do so much better with the whole labor and delivery process so kudos to you for having that as a goal for yourselves. Me, I put on most of my weight after my last two pregnancies. (They were 11 months apart and then when they were babies my husband travelled all the time, I put on my weight then) Good luck!

That's what I've heard too, but I was hoping to hear from people who actually had this happen to. thank you for sharing though. :happy:
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Last year I had lost only 20 lbs and ended up getting pregnant. I had always been told I couldn't get pregnant (I have bad PCOS), and we went a year and a half without using protection, but losing that 20 lbs regulated my hormones so much that SURPRISE, SURPRISE..... LOL. I ended up miscarrying due to conflicting blood types between me and my boyfriend, but I am a firm believer that eating healthier can regulate your body enough to be able to conceive. I've never had regular periods (I started at 18), and in the last 4 months I've had a period every month just because I've been eating better.

Healthy eating does a body good!
  • redefiningmyself
    Options
    Last year I had lost only 20 lbs and ended up getting pregnant. I had always been told I couldn't get pregnant (I have bad PCOS), and we went a year and a half without using protection, but losing that 20 lbs regulated my hormones so much that SURPRISE, SURPRISE..... LOL. I ended up miscarrying due to conflicting blood types between me and my boyfriend, but I am a firm believer that eating healthier can regulate your body enough to be able to conceive. I've never had regular periods (I started at 18), and in the last 4 months I've had a period every month just because I've been eating better.

Healthy eating does a body good!

I'm sorry for your loss.
    But I'm also glad to hear that healthier eating has had a really positive effect for you. :flowerforyou:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to slim down to get pregnant too - we've been trying for 6 months with nothing so far. When I was younger I had 2 miscarriages so I know I can conceive... but I've gained so much weight since then. My OB says to lose weight, but it's easier said than done. 6 months in and not pregnant and I'm starting to get better focus.

There's a group on her "Fir for Future Families" that has like-minded women - I'm on there too, but my determination adn ability to stick with it isn't so great.

We just had a new gym open close to us, so I'm trying to get there more. I really hope that this works! I need to lose 20 lbs to be out of the "morbidly obese" category, and I'm going to do it by June 1! I swear I am! And that will be 8% of my body weight - which I KNOW will make a difference in TTC.

Not a success story... but a story no less. I can't wait to hear from people who've had success!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jessika21lynne
    Jessika21lynne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My prepregnancy weight with my first child was 154lbs. I was up to 202lbs by the end of my pregnancy. After having him I was stuck at around 170. Decided I needed a change and started eating healthy and doing lots of walking and a little pilates. After 6 months I was down to 120 lbs. Got pregnant a year later and only got up to 160 with that pregnancy. Dropped the weight much easier that time since I was already used to being more active and having better eating habits. 5 years later got pregnant with my 3rd, weighed about 133 when I got pregnant and got up to about 167. My little boy will be 9 months old tomorrow and I am down to about 118 lbs. Walk, walk, walk. I think that is the key to my success when it comes to weight loss.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My prepregnancy weight with my first child was 154lbs. I was up to 202lbs by the end of my pregnancy. After having him I was stuck at around 170. Decided I needed a change and started eating healthy and doing lots of walking and a little pilates. After 6 months I was down to 120 lbs. Got pregnant a year later and only got up to 160 with that pregnancy. Dropped the weight much easier that time since I was already used to being more active and having better eating habits. 5 years later got pregnant with my 3rd, weighed about 133 when I got pregnant and got up to about 167. My little boy will be 9 months old tomorrow and I am down to about 118 lbs. Walk, walk, walk. I think that is the key to my success when it comes to weight loss.

This sounds just like me - I have yet to become pregant again, but when I got pregnant, I was 155 and ballooned up to 210 lbs and have been stuck in the 170's for what feels like forever - thanks for posting this - it gives me hope that I can lose and be successful with my next pregancy!!!
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I lost 70lbs.. and kept it off for 4 years before getting pregnant with my daughter (who is now 3)

I started out at 120lbs, dropped to 110 from morning sickness temporarily (mostly lost water weight), but once that passed I got back to 120. By the end of my pregnancy I had gained 30lbs putting me at 150lbs give or take a pound or two. (I am 5'2")

3 days after delivery and at home I had already gone down around 17lbs just from having the baby. And within only another month I was down to 125lbs where I stayed. My body refused to let go of that 5 pounds while nursing. Keep in mind this was all done just eating sensibly (no counting anything) and not really working out.. just the rare yoga dvd. Breastfeeding my demanding daughter took a lot out of me for months. I went from working out almost daily to not working out at all after delivery.

122-125 is where I stayed the entire time I nursed my daughter (so just under 2 years) ..

Then I gained a bit of weight because I a) quit smoking. b) was over eating a little bit and drinking entirely too much soda, and c) I began training last spring to be a white water rafting Guide, which is a very physically intense job, which made me really hungry... and when fall came around and I was sitting on my butt (and not even running because it's so damn cold here!)

So I topped out a few months ago at 137. Which. Woah dude. I know some of that is upper body muscle gained during Guide Training, but lets be honest, a lot of it was me drinking pepsi instead of... anything else.. ever.

But the summary is that pregnancy can be 'gentle' on your body, you can have a healthy pregnancy without gaining tonnes of weight, and it sometimes does come off really easily! Keep in mind, I worked out my entire pregnancy, Yoga every other day, and the Perfect Pregnancy Workout (google it) in between. I highly recommend both. My pregnancy was 'easy' I felt great, I had energy, I had a cute little baby belly and could tie my shoes and get in and out of bed on my own. If I had a teeny bit of a sore back I did 20 mins of Yoga and felt fantastic again.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    omg where do i start???

i was 117 when i got pregnant, i was 199 at 9 months pregnant...

i has...

toxopasmosis- a bacteria contracted from cat feces or infected food, could has damaged the baby or uterus

cholestasis - SEVER itching because of liver disease... absolutely horrible, i scatched my thighs and tummy so bad i would bleed.... this lasted about 5 months STRAIGHT

pregnancy induced hypertension- protein in the urine, and EXTREMELY high blood pressure, i was induced because of it

bed rest- i had a 3 day period where my chest felt like it was going to cave in. i had to sleep sitting up in a couch, most horrible thig ever

preeclampsia- lost my peripheral vision for about 12 hours, scared the absolute hell out of me. they thing thats where the chest pain came from

RH factor- i had to get the two shots because i am A-, hurt like a brat too

urinary tract infections- Had it consistently for 6 months, they couldnt get it to go away and i was downing water and taking the only medication they could give me

THEN OF COURSE-
    (mind you i had the whole thing planned out, COMPLETELY natural labor, no pitocin, on my own, even thought about a home birth)

-i was induced because of high blood pressure
    -36 hours of labor
    -HAD to get an epidural because of the high blood pressure, could had hurt the baby
    - HAD to get pitocin because i wasnt going fast enough and they were worried for the baby
    -Pushed for 5 minutes
    -The babys head LODGED in my hip bones, i wasnt big enough
    -Emergency c-section

OH its not over yet-

-C section went fine
    - Day after baby was born, i was hold her and nursing... then ears started buzzing, nurse took her, i passed out, head ringing...
    -Put on WATCH, had my OWN NURSE in birthing center
    - Passed out onto the floor, nurse came in just in time, ringing in my ears again
    - another surgery- they HAD TO REOPEN ME
    - diagnosed with DIC-disseminated intravascular coagulation -acutely ill and shocked with widespread haemorrhage (common bleeding sites are mouth, nose and venepuncture sites), extensive bruising, renal failure and gangrene
    - i was internally bleeding, the cuts they had made for he c section were not clotting
    - ICU for 24 hours (babies arent allowed there, the hospital manager brought Nini to me, they didnt think i was gonna make it, they took pictures of us together, they still make me cry when i look at them)
    - Left me OPEN after the surgery for 2 days with 'packaging' to soak up extra blood
    -Went back to SURGERY to close me up
    -Moved me back to birthing center so i could see Nini without problems
    -yeast infection-
    - SEVEN IV's - the top person who does the ivs, would not do it, they had to have the senior supervisior from Lordes medical center come to the hospital to do it...
    - Oxygen mask
    -Medications up the Wazzoo
    - retained water to such an extent, i gained over 50 pounds during my hospital stay
    - 1 iv in my right arm blew my vein, my entire arm was purple, black, and blue

oh and the absolute WORST THING EVER-
    - because of all the swelling, my LABIA, the little lip next to the vagina, swelled to the size of a MANGO, i am not joking or exaggerating. the doctor honestly didnt know if i was going to ever be the same, it was so painful that i had to keep my legs as far away from eachother as possible, and when i stood, i had to stand like a cowboy.

- I was in the hospital for 12 days in all

- had to learn to walk twice, and under doctors orders, my husband, the baby, and i had to stay with my parents for 2 weeks so i didnt over do things

was the worst thing i have ever experienced... i hope no body ever does...

i wasnt allowed to look in a mirror, it was the most traumatizing thing in the world... but...

Nyomi Autumn Elise' Schneider, didnt have one problem, and was released and went home with daddy after day 4, and came to visit mommy everyday
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    oh.. btw i never had morning sickness... and i started this program on February 28 2011, my daughter was born on December 28, 2010

and i have lost 15 pounds since beginning in february

you can do it

TRUST ME
  • janack
    janack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    omg where do i start???

i was 117 when i got pregnant, i was 199 at 9 months pregnant...

i has...

toxopasmosis- a bacteria contracted from cat feces or infected food, could has damaged the baby or uterus

cholestasis - SEVER itching because of liver disease... absolutely horrible, i scatched my thighs and tummy so bad i would bleed.... this lasted about 5 months STRAIGHT

pregnancy induced hypertension- protein in the urine, and EXTREMELY high blood pressure, i was induced because of it

bed rest- i had a 3 day period where my chest felt like it was going to cave in. i had to sleep sitting up in a couch, most horrible thig ever

preeclampsia- lost my peripheral vision for about 12 hours, scared the absolute hell out of me. they thing thats where the chest pain came from

RH factor- i had to get the two shots because i am A-, hurt like a brat too

urinary tract infections- Had it consistently for 6 months, they couldnt get it to go away and i was downing water and taking the only medication they could give me

THEN OF COURSE-
    (mind you i had the whole thing planned out, COMPLETELY natural labor, no pitocin, on my own, even thought about a home birth)

-i was induced because of high blood pressure
    -36 hours of labor
    -HAD to get an epidural because of the high blood pressure, could had hurt the baby
    - HAD to get pitocin because i wasnt going fast enough and they were worried for the baby
    -Pushed for 5 minutes
    -The babys head LODGED in my hip bones, i wasnt big enough
    -Emergency c-section

OH its not over yet-

-C section went fine
    - Day after baby was born, i was hold her and nursing... then ears started buzzing, nurse took her, i passed out, head ringing...
    -Put on WATCH, had my OWN NURSE in birthing center
    - Passed out onto the floor, nurse came in just in time, ringing in my ears again
    - another surgery- they HAD TO REOPEN ME
    - diagnosed with DIC-disseminated intravascular coagulation -acutely ill and shocked with widespread haemorrhage (common bleeding sites are mouth, nose and venepuncture sites), extensive bruising, renal failure and gangrene
    - i was internally bleeding, the cuts they had made for he c section were not clotting
    - ICU for 24 hours (babies arent allowed there, the hospital manager brought Nini to me, they didnt think i was gonna make it, they took pictures of us together, they still make me cry when i look at them)
    - Left me OPEN after the surgery for 2 days with 'packaging' to soak up extra blood
    -Went back to SURGERY to close me up
    -Moved me back to birthing center so i could see Nini without problems
    -yeast infection-
    - SEVEN IV's - the top person who does the ivs, would not do it, they had to have the senior supervisior from Lordes medical center come to the hospital to do it...
    - Oxygen mask
    -Medications up the Wazzoo
    - retained water to such an extent, i gained over 50 pounds during my hospital stay
    - 1 iv in my right arm blew my vein, my entire arm was purple, black, and blue

oh and the absolute WORST THING EVER-
    - because of all the swelling, my LABIA, the little lip next to the vagina, swelled to the size of a MANGO, i am not joking or exaggerating. the doctor honestly didnt know if i was going to ever be the same, it was so painful that i had to keep my legs as far away from eachother as possible, and when i stood, i had to stand like a cowboy.

- I was in the hospital for 12 days in all

- had to learn to walk twice, and under doctors orders, my husband, the baby, and i had to stay with my parents for 2 weeks so i didnt over do things

was the worst thing i have ever experienced... i hope no body ever does...

i wasnt allowed to look in a mirror, it was the most traumatizing thing in the world... but...

Nyomi Autumn Elise' Schneider, didnt have one problem, and was released and went home with daddy after day 4, and came to visit mommy everyday
    Holy crap!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!