I need veggie recipes that my family will eat!

Options
AngelLittle
AngelLittle Posts: 25 Member
I'm trying to make one dinner for my family and everyone is turning against me!! I have a husband that will eat anything I put in front of him (bless him!), 2 teenage boys one of which doesn't like leafy veggies, and a 2 1/2 year old that doesn't like anything but cheese sticks or bread. I'm trying to eat healthy and make one healthy meal for dinner instead of one for me and one of the family.
So here is where I need your help! I have about 30 minutes to make dinner every night and I can make fish, chicken or even hamburger patties but I need help with sides with these dinners. I can always make potato's/yams to help fill up the boys but everyone is tried of my "normal" sides which are usually boxed anyway.

Replies

• cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    On the DR OZ website there are lots of ideas and recipes. Jamie Oliver says to do stirfrys...fish tacos are yummy too!
  • MomOfMikeAndLiam
    Options
    I have two young boys. I found a recipe long ago that calls for:
    Shredded Zuchinni
    Shredded Carrots
    Chopped Onions
    Light Shredded Cheese
    Salsa
    Wheat Bread
    and
    Zero Calorie Spray Oil

Mix Shredded/Chopped Veggies, Cheese, and Salsa. Place desired amount between two pieces of bread. Spray a pan with Zero Cal Spray Oil, Grill like a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. The Veggies soften, and the cheese melts, and the salsa adds a kick.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I sautee asparagus on the stove and add lemon/pepper seasoning. Sautee a little bit of garlic and then add spinach and some grated parmesan.
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    I would like to know some to. My husband hates veggies and will only eat sweet potatoes if they have brown sugar, cinnamon, carmel, and marshmellow cream on them!!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    roasted veggies. I like cauliflower tossed with a tiny bit of evoo and seasonings and roasted in 425 for 45 min. Green beans are good like this too you cook them way less time. We grill a bunch of veggies when we're grilling. I use chopped broccoli in dishes like last night we had chicken/broccoli/bowtie pasta with an alfredo sauce. I make a asperagus risotto that every one loves. I throw veggies into things so they just eat them. :)

I'm lucky my girls just love veggies. :)

Good luck
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Sams club or a Cosco by you, but they have a giant bag of brocoli with no stalks, only "tree's" as my kids call it for under $5. I then buy the giant can of "cheddar cheese sauce" in the aisle by the salsa. it is a huge can but freezes well in individual little freezer bags. The cheese is only 90 calories for a half cup. I use a quarter cup.

also........steam some cauliflower..........put pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce on it......then sprinkle on some motz and bake....not too high in calories :)

For some reason my kids love mixed veggies too (green beans, corn, peas) - just lucky I suppose
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    try topping steamed veggies with cheese...or alfredo sauce

I know it is not necessarily low fat...but kids love it and if you top it after on the plate, you can eat yours without the cheese or sauce

I try to add veggies to chili and spaghetti...if you use the food processor, you can get the pieces small enough so the kids do not see them and chili and spaghetti usually cover up any veggie taste kids do not like
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    We make a garden veggie bake thats really yummy....even my fussy eaters like it. It takes a little more than 30 minutes but its worth it :smile:

1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese topping
    1 cup chopped zucchini
    2/3 cup Green Giant® whole kernel sweet corn (from 15.25-oz can)
    1 small tomato, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    3/4 cup Bisquick Heart Smart® mix
    1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    1/2 cup fat-free egg product or 4 egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese in baking dish. Top with zucchini, corn, tomato and onion. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over vegetables.

In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over vegetables and cheese.

Bake uncovered 32 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    for a mexican twist here is an easy one:
    1. one flat bread torn into pieces - spread over the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan
    2. one can of fat free re-fried beans, spread over flat bread
    3. your favorite salsa - spread over the beans. use as much or as little as you like
    4. top with fat free mozzarella, mexican or cheese of your choice
    5. bake in 350 oven until cheese is melted
  • MomOfMikeAndLiam
    Options
    I like to dress up stuffing. I take boxed stuffing, a can of cream of celery soup, half a can of veg broth, and lots of chopped up mushrooms. I'll eat mushrooms any way you'll serve them, but my family won't. This way I can hide them amongst their best friend the carb.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    instead of totalling making another meal for them and one for yourself, you can make or buy something to put on thier veggies to help them like it better. For example if you make mixed veggies, you can steam them and maybe put a little cheese on thiers. Its still a little extra work but not much and cheese isn't really bad for them as long as its not a load of it.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Or do what I did. This is the meal. Eat it or make your own.

P.S. I don't like salad green either so I make what's called a village salad with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, red or yellow peppers and avocado in a balsamic vinegar and oil dressing. You can leave the avocado off, put cheese on top, throw nuts in it. I've also seen cold cubed boiled potatoes and beets in it.
  • MomOfMikeAndLiam
    Options
    1 more.
    Button Mushrooms
    Pearl Onions (Peeled)
    Balsalmic Vinegar
    Olive Oil

Mix above ingredients. Place in Broiler Pan, and Broil until cooked through. Be careful not to burn the, though.
  • sarahlynn799
    Options
    AngelLittle - I am not a huge fan of veggies myself until lately. I made this lasagne which you can do with our without lasagne noodles. Essentially the zucchini serves to BE the noodles. Either way it's delicious and you can also sneak some spinach and mushrooms in it too - they just become covered in cheese and marinara sauce :)

* 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1 can (15 ounces) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    * 4 medium zucchini (1-1/4 pounds)
    * 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
    * 1 egg, beaten
    * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

* In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to boil; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
    * Meanwhile, cut zucchini into 1/4-in. slices. In small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, place half of the zucchini; sprinkle with half of flour. Top with cottage cheese mixture and half the meat mixture. Repeat layer of zucchini and flour.
    * Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining meat mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
  • AngelLittle
    AngelLittle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • BBBgettingfit
    BBBgettingfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites (and it's unexpectedly good with the non-veggie crowd, too): Cut brussel sprouts in half, sautee with a few tablespoons of minced garlic in a bit of olive oil until they are fork-tender, and top with a bit of parmesan cheese. Amazing!