Caffeine?

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
Do you consume it?

If someone stopped consuming it, would they lose weight?

How bad is it really??

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do-usually once, in the morning. And even that is half regular, half decaff these days.

Yes, you can lose weight while cutting caffeine intake.

I don't think caffeine is necessarily bad for people if they don't have health disorders that preclude using it and it's used in moderation.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's not the caffeine that could prevent you from losing weight, it's the cream & sugar you put in it. I have at least 2 coffees a day with Splenda & 10% cream which is accounted for in my calories.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think caffeine is okay in moderation for MOST people,. Some people are very sensitive to it. Of course it should be coming from coffee or real tea - not soda/pop/diet Lipton tea with crap in a bottle. I have heard that both coffee and green tea help boost metabolism.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Caffeine raises my already high heart rate to levels so high that I pass out, consistently. So, no caffeine for me! (ignore the chocolate milk I drank this morning... I did feel the effects of the caffeine but it is not quite as much as a soda/coffee so I'm still standing :wink:)

I suppose this would be the health problem that you mentioned you didn't want to consider. I cannot speak for a 'normal' person, no idea what consuming caffeine is really like!
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    caffeine rocks, couldn't live w/o my coffee, unless you have a heart condition or something and are advised not to have it, why not, especially if it comes from coffee, coffee can be good for you in moderation. As far as switching to anything decafe, the take caffeine out by using acid & crap like that, so if you plan to cut it out go for caffeine free drinks not decafeinated :)
  • epdsn
    epdsn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that if you drink it in moderation, say 2 cups a day it can help. It gives you energy and suppresses hunger. And if you drink it with no milk or sugar it has a very low calorie count.

One in the morning and one mid afternoon is the way to go.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Its funny but I am a tea drinker by nature, I love my morning and supper or dinner tea, I do drink a scattered coffee but coffee hits me in a totally different way than the tea does even though the caffeine contents are roughly the same.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I miss coffee. It ate my stomach away... I can do decaf but not very often.

I say we're all better off without it, especially as a habit.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a couple of large mugs of black coffee each morning and usually a Coke Zero at supper...hasn't had a negative effect on me as far as I can tell. In fact they are saying that caffeine can help stimulate calorie burning prior to exercising. Just watch out for the extras you put into the drinks.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I actually read in Women's Health that having a cup of coffee (without loading it with tons of sugar and cream) before a workout can actually help to boost your energy level a bit to help you work out harder... i've yet to try it (coffee gives me an upset stomach) but when I drink green tea with caffeine before a workout i feel more energized!
  • MandaMH
    MandaMH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not to mix calorie tracking tools or anything, but here is a really good article about caffeine and weight loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340997-does-excess-caffeine-prevent-weight-loss/
  • ElyMaeOR
    ElyMaeOR Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually told me to consume more caffeine because my heart rate is really low and I black out. I think you probably will have to decide your caffienne consumption by what is best for you. My husband cannot have a lot of caffeine because it keeps him from falling/staying asleep. Everybody is different!
    Since we are on the topic... What foods are high in caffeine besides pop, tea, coffee, etc.?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I actually read in Women's Health that having a cup of coffee (without loading it with tons of sugar and cream) before a workout can actually help to boost your energy level a bit to help you work out harder... i've yet to try it (coffee gives me an upset stomach) but when I drink green tea with caffeine before a workout i feel more energized!

There is a lot of research showing that caffeine can help increase endurance, usually for cardio, yes.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I find that a warm drink soothes me, so there is a small possibility you might eat more if you stop drinking coffee. You can either substitute it with something else that soothes you. If you´re trying to eliminate the caffeine, you could drink decaf. If you´re trying to avoid the acid in the coffee (I find it sometimes bothers my stomach on the long run) then you could try some tea that doesn´t have too much acid in it (if you can stand having tea).
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    On the other hand, if you add sugar and milk to caffeine, or buy high-caloric caffeine beverages, then if you stopped consuming it you would lose weight. The other day all I had was a quarter of a huge frozen coffee from McDonald´s, and the beverage threw me over my daily allotment
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Not to mix calorie tracking tools or anything, but here is a really good article about caffeine and weight loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340997-does-excess-caffeine-prevent-weight-loss/

This is good information. There are pros and cons (as usual).

I've always drank coffee and never had weight issues from it. I drink it every day and have managed to lose 7.5 out of 10 pounds. Of course I drink it black.

Jillian Michaels had it on a list of "foods good for fat loss" in Self Magazine a while back.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options

This is good information. There are pros and cons (as usual).

I've always drank coffee and never had weight issues from it. I drink it every day and have managed to lose 7.5 out of 10 pounds. Of course I drink it black.

Jillian Michaels had it on a list of "foods good for fat loss" in Self Magazine a while back.

I'm not going to be impressed from any article from livestrog. Lance used blood transfusions to up his cell count during the Tours. Lost all of my respect.

Caffeine has a lot of upswing increased meantal awareness, increase metabolism, suppress appetite, aids in depression, etc... Caffeine is a common ingredient in pre-workout shakes and diet loss pills. Bodybuilders/fitness models when cutting for a show often stack a caffeine pill with a fat loss to pill to increase the intensity. I wouldn't recommend this, but it is a common practice.

Like everything use in moderation.