Shin splits or just sore muscles?

Options
On Friday night, I jogged for about 5 mintues back to the house after playing tennis. Saturday morning, I took my sisters dog out (we were visiting family) and jogged with her for another 5 minutes. I'm certainly NO jogger but wanted to get into it, so I figured I'd start wtih a few minutes here or there.

Saturday afternoon until yesterday morning, I could hardly walk. I shuffled my feet around like an old person so I didn't have to use those muscles. I was ok to jog, but walking was KILLER on my shins. It hurt when I pulled up my foot toward my shin. Today, there is still a slight pain in my right shin, but I'm back to walking normal.

Is this 'shin splints' or just sure sore muscles from never having jogged before? How do I prevent this in the future, or is it just something you have to push past when starting a jogging program?

Replies

• biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    From what I understand, if the pain is on the outside of the leg it's sore muscles... If it's running down the inside it could be shin splints.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    hi! you have to be careful with shin splints because they are nasty and painful. I would say a couple of things.

After you jog, make sure to ice your shins. Even if they don't hurt--because they probably will later.

Make sure that you have good shoes on or you may need to get a different pair of shoes for jogging.

If they continue to hurt i would go to the doctor, you don't want to mess around with that. ouch!!

goodluck and keep up the running!

B:flowerforyou:
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    Shin splints hurt down the front of the shin, like someone kicked you.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    My shin splints were mostly throbbing pain on the inside part of my shins. Constant pain/soreness is likely just the muscles being tight. However, you need to stretch stretch stretch! Shin splints are caused by the muscles being too tight and pulling away from the tendon which pulls away from the bone! Very painful! Shin splints can be caused by incorrect shoes and running on hard surfaces like cement. Asphalt has more give, and natural land is always the best.

If you think you have shin splints, put some water in a dixie cup (3/4 full) and then freeze it. Peel part of the cup away and rub the ice cups where youre feeling pain. Best rememdy I know of.

Best of luck!
  • sarwood1
    sarwood1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I first started jogging. I found some advice that I laughed at, but it actually worked.
    Sit in a chair. Point your toe and "write" your alphabet with your toe. I guess it streches the muscles... and helps!
    But if it continues to hurt, go to doctor. It could be more than shin splints.
    And more advice... When I started jogging, I used Personal Running Trainer. Its essentially like Couch to 5k; it just starts out easier.
    Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    interesting