Weight loss plateau - HELP!

Options
I'm experiencing a bit of a plateau in my weight loss journey and I wondered if any of you had some useful tips or advice to get me over this. In the first two months I lost around 21lbs in total, which is pretty miraculous I know. However, this has really tailed off and in the last month, despite eating and exercising the same, I've lost very little. In the last few weeks I've only lost 1lb, and whilst this is still great (at least I'm not going in the other direction), I'm beginning to lose motivation.

Have any of you had similar experiences and if so, how did you get over it?

Thanks!

Replies

• mroberts2702
    mroberts2702 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have that prob right now!!!! I lost 22 lbs and stalled out. I tried to up my food & workouts but nothing is working. I figured if i keep going at least I won't go back to the size I was before!:smile:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been plateaued for 3 months :-( Can't wait to read any advice you get!
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the same exercises and eating, then I hate to say you will have to up your exercise. Your body has gotten used to what you are doing. Try mixing up your routines where you aren't doing the same thing over and over each day. Plus add an extra walk into your day also. Burn MORE calories. That's what is happening. The more you lose the more you have to burn!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Sometimes I swear I am the QUEEN of hitting the plateau. I quit trying a year ago after hitting a plateau. It can really dereail you and take away your motivation to keep going. BUT, now here I sit on my weight loss and lifestyle change journey and all I think about is if I hadn't given up, I would be at my goal weight right now. That definitely keeps me going!
    I have posted some tips on my page before about getting rid of the plateau. Change things up. Go eat a few hundred extra calories once a week. Don't go crazy and pick fatty foods, but pick healthy choices and mix it up so your body doesn't adjust to the same number of calories in every week.
    Also, switch up your exercise routine. Our bodies are great at adapting. Same calories in & same calories out = one big adjustment and a big plateau. I have now beaten 2 plateus since restarting this journey. Once you get past the first one, the second one is much easier to get through. It is never not frustrating, but you know you can beat it, break through & keep going. Jillian Michaels posted something on her page before, which is where I stole the high calorie day from. If you want, e-mail me and I will cut & pase it from my blog!
    Good luck! Don't give up. You CAN do it!
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing so, this is what I did...I dropped my carb and fat intake and upded my protein. My fat cals are set for 27 and I think my carbs are 120-130 and my protein is 130ish.....this will give you an idea. It worked for me but I am not a professional!!! =)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    how's your water intake? i plateaued for about 12 weeks. a couple of weeks ago i upped my water to 12 servings (96 ounces) per day, and i think it did the trick. i lost 2 pounds the first week i increased my water, and tomorrow is my second weigh in, so we'll see how it goes. i'm pretty sure the plateau broke though, because when i 'peeked' earlier this week i was down another pound and a half. even if that number is not there for the official record tomorrow, just seeing that loss makes me feel pretty sure i'm on the move again.

for the 12 weeks i ping-ponged between 197 and 198.5. last weigh in i was at 196, and my 'peek' showed 195.2. and fyi, i exercise 5 days per week and typically eat back about half of my exercise calories. good luck! it will break eventually - stay the course!
  • nelliemosa
    Options
    Thanks guys, deep down I know I need to mix things up a bit, I just need a kick up the backside and someone to tell me that's what I should do!

And to think I thought weight loss was easy peasy when it was falling off at the beginning...
  • MelleyJ
    Options
    Here's the info from the Jillian site that I posted in my blog. Hope this helps!

Q: I love that I have the information I need to lose 2 pounds a week; however, I would like to lose more than that. How can I lose 4 to 5 pounds a week? I have a total of 96 more pounds to lose.
    A: To lose a pound, you must burn 3,500 calories. As I've said before, it's all about the math — how to burn more calories in the most effective way.

You can only do so much resistance training without damaging your muscles and impeding your results. Additionally, you can't starve the weight off: If you eat fewer than 1,200 calories a day, you will sabotage your optimal results. Therefore, cardio is weight loss extra credit. It allows you to burn additional calories without overtraining. This is one of the reasons some Biggest Loser players can still lose 20 pounds a week, even 7 weeks into the program.

Think about the math: If you are eating 1,500 calories a day — we assume your BMR without exercise is 1,600 (this is actually my BMR) — and you do two 1-hour cardio sessions that burn 500 calories each (one in the morning and one at night), the two sessions, along with your regular daily activity, will speed up your base metabolism to at least 2,000. As a result, you will have burned about 1,500 calories that day — that is, almost half a pound. At that rate you will be losing up to 3.5 pounds a week.

That said, you are bound to lose more weight during the first two weeks of any weight loss regimen because of the dramatic change in your diet and the loss of excess fluid. After that, it's all about crunching the numbers, and cardio is the key.

Q: How can I bust through a weight-loss plateau? I've been working really hard and have been having success; however, the scale hasn't budged for the past two and a half weeks.
    A:
    Let me just tell you this, a weight-loss plateau is an integral part of weight loss. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED! It is your body's way of protecting you for survival purposes. The weight-loss plateau occurs because your body thinks there is a famine and has slowed your metabolism in order to conserve calories. This will happen periodically throughout your weight-loss odyssey.

That said, a plateau will usually break on its own after about three weeks, but here are several ways to help get your metabolism back on track quickly!

Exercise Tips

1. Variety: Often we fall into an exercise routine — meaning that we do the same workout regimen for weeks at a time. Think of it like this: if you do 10 push-ups after not working out for months, you will be sore, but if you do 10 push-ups a day for 10 days in a row, you will no longer be sore. This is because your body adapts to your exercise program, and as it adapts, the workout becomes less challenging — and, unfortunately, less effective.

The solution is variety. You have to mix up your exercise routine in order to consistently shock your system. Here are a few different ways to mix up your workout:

Alternate the weight — one week lift heavy, and the next week lift light.
    Change the number of repetitions. This usually goes hand in hand with the amount of weight you are lifting: one week heavy weights, low reps; the next week light weights, high reps.
    Change the exercise: One week do a chest press, the next week a chest fly, and the next week push-ups.
    2. Intensity: The best way to speed up your metabolism is to boost the intensity of your training. By picking up the intensity, you'll burn more calories, challenge your body, and literally force your metabolism to burn a little brighter because of all the energy your body needs to complete your exercise regimen.

Food Tips

1. Eat more: Ninety percent of the time plateaus are caused by your body's survival mechanism of protecting against famine, which is triggered by calorie reduction. The best way to fix this quickly is to give your body a little more food so it feels secure. Varying your calorie intake is my best advice for keeping your body from plateauing: For the next three days vary your calorie intake between 1,800 and 2,400 calories. I know this may sound crazy, but trust me...I know what I'm doing. Then, after three days, drop back down to the calorie allowance that I have set for you through this program.

2. Reduce your sodium and DRINK LOTS OF WATER: Keep your sodium under 1,500 mg a day at most for as long as you can manage. You can achieve this in part by cutting all processed food out of your diet for two weeks.

I promise you that if you follow these tips to the letter, your plateau will be shattered by the end of week 2!
  • nelliemosa
    Options
    Thank you MelleyJ!
  • cjb52
    cjb52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope or motivation. Plateauing seems to be a really common occurrance for people when losing weight. Change up your exercise routine a bit. Are you drinking enough water? That is a REAL key in weight loss. If you aren't drinking enough water, your body can't lose the weight. Sleep is also key in weight loss. You need 8 hours to allow your body to do what you want it to. You might think you can get by with less sleep, but your body really needs it, so if you haven't been getting 8 hours, try to start adding 15 minutes a day until you are there. You can do it!
  • kmurphree2000
    Options
    1) quit calling it a plateau. It's an adjustment period. Your body is getting used to the new weight. It's deciding if it can survive on this loss of fat stores. you're metabolism is adjusting so change your mind set. It's a good thing to reach an 'adjustment period' your body is noticing the change. i know it's really frustrating when it lasts for a while.....hang in there and love the possibilities that are coming when your body decides it'll be ok without the fat.
    2) the easiest way to get thru the 'adjustment' period is to change it up. you could eat at your maintenance calories...since it's maintenance you won't gain weight, you'll just be allowing your body adjust to the new weight. you could change the type or time that you do your exercises. something new makes the body have to decide faster if it's going to be ok. IT WILL BE OK.

lovin' the journey,
    kris
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been plateaued for 3 months :-( Can't wait to read any advice you get!

How many pounds a week are you trying to lose? Anything more that 1.5 with the amount of weight you have left is probably too high. Even 1.5/week might be too high.

Also, what sort of workouts are you doing? If it is mainly long duration cardio types, you will have to change that to resistance training and Interval training.
  • MelleyJ
    Options
    1) quit calling it a plateau. It's an adjustment period. Your body is getting used to the new weight. It's deciding if it can survive on this loss of fat stores. you're metabolism is adjusting so change your mind set. It's a good thing to reach an 'adjustment period' your body is noticing the change. i know it's really frustrating when it lasts for a while.....hang in there and love the possibilities that are coming when your body decides it'll be ok without the fat.
    2) the easiest way to get thru the 'adjustment' period is to change it up. you could eat at your maintenance calories...since it's maintenance you won't gain weight, you'll just be allowing your body adjust to the new weight. you could change the type or time that you do your exercises. something new makes the body have to decide faster if it's going to be ok. IT WILL BE OK.

Call it what you want, but either way, it is what it is. Adjustment period, or plateau, your frustration will always be the same. We ALL experience it and we all get frustrated. The advice seems to be the same all around... just change things up & you will see results. I agree about the H2O as well. You can do this! It's okay to get frustrated, and it's okay when your motivation decreases. Just stick with it because, no matter what, as long ask you keep at it, things will change and you will break through this "adjustment period" or "plateau" or whatever you want to call it! You can do this!!! We are all in this together!
  • angiezee
    angiezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I heard from a trainer that simply cutting your carbs and sugar intake will confuse your body and kick off the weight loss again. You have to cut the sugar then a few weeks latter add more sugar and just keep your body guessing at what is going on.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

How many pounds a week are you trying to lose? Anything more that 1.5 with the amount of weight you have left is probably too high. Even 1.5/week might be too high.

Also, what sort of workouts are you doing? If it is mainly long duration cardio types, you will have to change that to resistance training and Interval training.

I used to have my goals set at 2 pounds. Then a while ago (can't remember when for sure, but I think early January), I switched it to 1-1.5 because I know that as I get closer to my "normal" weight, I need to be careful with my deficit. I use a bodybugg, and I track my food there so it shows my deficit (which is why my diary here is empty). So I had to eat more food to keep my deficit between 500-750 (instead of the 1000+ I had previously aimed for). Then I also added weight training and I changed my workouts from 60 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week to 30-45 minutes of cardio so I had time for weights. Since then, I've been stuck at this weight. This has been since early January (not counting the last two weeks of December since I had some Christmas parties that I went over on - and I didn't expect to lose during that time).

So I got fed up, and a couple of weeks ago I went to see a nutritionist and a personal trainer. I was told to stick to 1500 calories a day (by the nutritionst) no matter what my burn was. And to get 100+ g protein, 25+ g fiber and less than 2300 g sodium (1500-1600 was optimal). I was also told to do shorter workouts with intervals instead of my long workouts. I was already doing shorter workouts on my weight days, but I tried to add intervals. And of course, I was told to continue strength training - and change up what I do every 4-6 weeks. I tend to be closer to 2500 g of sodium, but I haven't focused much on that so far - just being aware and trying to stay away from high-sodium foods. Otherwise, I've followed everything else for the last two weeks. I'm still waiting to see some real results, but in the meantime - I'm trying everything that sounds reasonable to break through!! I'm not really good at interval training yet, but I'm trying. I recently switched to running instead of the elliptical, and it's all I can do to run 30 minutes with throwing just a few sprints in there. I know I should do more, and I will. Maybe I should go back to the elliptical cuz I can kick ars on there LOL. I also have a new video at home that does HIIT training and I did that for the first time yesterday!

Hope you don't mind me putting all this in here, but I wanted to respond to the question - and maybe some of this will help you :-)
  • elizabethx
    Options
    Just keep going - even if your not dropping pounds right now - it will happen again soon. If you're doing it right, it will kick back in soon. Don't lose motivation... it's these kind of tests that make or break you. You'll have lots of up's and down's throughout this.
    I had a major plateau too - but that was caused by me cutting my cals in half for a few weeks, because I was doing so well prior, i thought if i ate less i would lose even more... yeah that wasn't smart. Starvation mode! and when i did start doing it right again, big plateau.

Good luck :)
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I did this about 6 weeks ago, I ate really poorly for about a week and dropped my exercise and broke that plateau. I'm at a small plateau again right now. I'm expecting this one though as I really upped my strength training. To combat this one I'm drinking a gallon of water a day and dropped my sodium limit 500mg (to 2000mg) and plan to drop it 100mg each week until I get to 1500mg (gotta start slow, I like salt lol).
  • MelleyJ
    Options
    Have you tried filing for divorce from your scale? I still weighed myself, but I divorced the scale for a bit and cheated with my tape measure. I didn't do measurements when I started... but, I went ahead and did some measurements and then decided to see how it went. My scale & I are on good terms again, but sometimes taking measurements can affirm that you are in fact still on the right track and keep you going. Just a thought. I don't rely on either one anymore, but use both. My tape measure & I are on the outs right now anyway, but I am loving my scale. Just goes to show you, if you keep on going things will happen. Good luck & keep going!
  • nelliemosa
    Options
    Thanks folks, your support is much appreciated!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Lots of great thoughts here!