Am I hungry or bored?

Options
I notice one of the biggest issues I fight with is that feeling between being hungry and being bored. I will have eaten a nice filling meal and shortly after I'll be watching TV and sitting on Facebook or even with nothing to do at work and I'll feel hungry. So then I start snacking. Maybe I'll start with a banana and then progress to crackers with a cream cheese spread.

My first goal is to start noticing the difference when I am truly hungry and when I am just bored. And in the cases of me being bored maybe start doing something active like sit ups, pushup or just going for a quick walk around the block! Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Does anybody have any tips on how to fight these boredum cravings?

Replies

• danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am always thinking the same thing. I do eat snacks but I find myself eating more snacks when I am sitting at home doing nothing rather than being out and about, running errands, etc. I do think we are definitely eating because we are bored...lately when I catch myself thinking about it, I stick a peice of gum in my mouth- they have new dessert gum (key lime pie, strawberry cheesecake, mint chocolate chip) it's great!
    Good luck!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    try drinking water when you're bored :o) i sit with a bottle of water in front of me when i'm on the comp so i sip instead of munch & refill whenever it is empty! or munch on low cal foods, like veggies if you're mindless/bored eating :o)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    sugar free gum !
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    From what I have been told, real hunger is felt in the throat and lack of nutrition is felt in the stomach.
  • KrystiR
    KrystiR Posts: 16
    Options
    I have that issue as well. I eat when I am bored and usually hunger is not involved. I havent found a good solution to it. The best I have is a 33.8 oz bottle of water that i keep refilling to hopefully tell my brain "YOU ARE NOT REALLY HUNGRY!" So far, its touch and go.