Weightloss questions

Options
So I have been lifting weights for about 18years and never had an issue gaining size when it comes to muscle. I never really did cardio because my lifting kept my diet in check. I consumed about 4-5k cals a day on average. Then last year I partially tore my pec benching and had to cut workouts for about 9 months while I healed, trouble is I kept the food intake high (bonehead). Well after all was said and done I was up to 287, still pretty build but had a gut going on. A few months ago I started a lifestyle change for my diet, cut down to about 2800cals a day, cut back on grains and carbs (half-Asian so had to cut the rice)upped my protein and good fats. This got me down to about 277. I then started doing HIIT about 3-4 times a week and now I am at 265ish. My question is I have my cals down around the recommeded amount from this site to get to 260, about 2200, still do cardio 3x a week and weight train pretty hard 3x a week. All this and I cant seem to get below 264 and actually get up to 267 some days. Is this normal? I guess I assumed that when you cardio, weight train, and diet all at once fat would drop off..lol. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my results after just 90 days or so, but is there a weightloss plateau that one can hit? And if so, how do you punch through it? Do you fast one day, excessive cals one day, carb up, carb down?
Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    are you eating back the exercise cals?
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hello, you might want to talk to your doctor as to where you should be with your calorie consumption when working out. I don't consider everything on here factual. Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:
  • polrwht07
    polrwht07 Posts: 20
    Options
    Best thing I can advise you to do is stick with it. I'm in a similar boat. Around January I started getting heavy into diet and excercise. I found that the weight melted off me at first, but then around mid-February, my body started to adjust to the new foods, and work I was putting into it. But since then (around the first of March) I've noticed even more significant weight loss.

You just have to stick with it, and not get discouraged. The numbers will come, but persistance with diet, and excercise is key.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    you could try switching to a metabolic resistance routine, I have found that a much more effective workout than just cardio or weights alone.
  • Jouquetta
    Jouquetta Posts: 20
    Options
    I cardio every day, about an hour or so, lift for tone not to bulk up. I'm trying to lose quite a bit so my caloric intake is less, but when I hit my plateau I went gluten free for a week and it got me over the hump. I still ate rice, just a white/brown/wild combo, but not bread or pasta unless it was made from quinoa. I was also careful to make sure my daily fiber intake was high. Anyway, long story short it got me past the plateau. Just an idea for you.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    are you eating back the exercise cals?

Thanks for quick replies, always surprised to see such helpful ideas so quickly.

I know for sure I am not eating them back, I stay within the guidlines of my caloric intake and food ratios so I should be losing.
    Some other friends did suggest I need to be more ptaient but I wanted second opinions from you guys =)
    As for talking to my doc, I could do that. I am pretty sure I tweaked the calorie intake pretty good though. I have a caloric deficit and just make sure most of calories are coming from protein and fats to support muscle gain. I should look at my fiber intake though, didnt think of that so thanks for that idea.