Lentils

Options
I'm looking for a yummy recipe with lentils. (not lentil soup) I love lentils but I'm running out of ideas. Maybe you guys have a good suggestion??

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tarka Dahl

tarka dhal

3 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil

5 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced

1 tsp mixed spice seeds (such as mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and cardamom pods)

250g/9oz dried split peas, yellow or green (or lentils)

750ml/1¼ pints water

#

Heat the oil in a heavy-based, medium saucepan over a low to medium heat. Add the garlic and spice seeds and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown. (CAUTION: The spice seeds may pop during cooking. Cover the pan with a lid and keep the eyes and face away.)
    #

Add the split peas and stir well to coat them in the oil and spices.
    #

Pour over the water and bring to the boil, skimming off any white foam from the top of the liquid at intervals.
    #

When the water is boiling, reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering, then cover the pan and continue to simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the split peas are tender and have absorbed all of the water.

I would cut the amount of oil to reduce the fat and calorie content.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Cook some lentils in chicken stock until moderately soft while still having a little crunch.
    Cook some brown rice in chicken stock. You can do both together by adding the lentils with about 10 minutes to go on the rice.
    Dice shallots and red bell pepper (or use red, yellow and green to get more different flavors and colors!).
    Let lentils and rice cool then mix together with a little extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, ground pepper and lot's of chopped parsley. Very light, very healthy and very satifying! Can do the same with quinoa instead of rice for more of a cous cous texture.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love using leftover lentils in salads (so you dont have to worry about the cook time for them)
    1 cup lentilles du Puy* (French green lentils) or brown lentils
    3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 cup couscous
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
    1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
    1 bunch arugula, stems discarded and leaves washed well, spun dry, and chopped
    2 cups vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/4 pound feta, crumbled (about 1 cup)

In a small saucepan simmer lentils in water to cover by 2 inches until tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes, and drain well. Transfer hot lentils to a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Cool lentils completely, stirring occasionally.
    In a saucepan bring water to a boil and add couscous and salt. Remove pan from heat and let couscous stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and cool completely, stirring occasionally.
    In a small bowl whisk together garlic paste, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir lentils and dressing into couscous. Chill salad, covered, at least 3 hours and up to 24.
    Just before serving, stir in remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.

THe nice thing about salads like this is you can put pretty much anything in them- mushrooms, bell pepper, zuchinni, olives,etc
    Instead of the olive oil/ garlic dressing you can also use your favorite low-cal italian, or none at all.
    :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    lentils cooked into a thick mush topped with pepper jack cheese...YUM
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This came form a MFP friend biy havent tried it yet :) SOunds super easy!

Speedy Lentil & Bean Casserole
    Serves 5 - 6

Ingredients
    1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 cup kidney beans, drained
    1 cup lentils, drained
    1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    Dash pepper
    Shredded cheese

Directions
    1. In flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion until softened.
    2. Add beans, lentils, tomatoes, thyme and pepper. Stir and break up tomatoes with back of spoon. Bring to simmer.
    3. Sprinkle with cheese; broil until cheese melts.

I serve it over rice, couscous or quinoa
  • afoshag
    afoshag Posts: 14
    Options
    Guy's Big Bite on the Food Network has a great Salmon Puttanesca with Lentils in it ... it is awesome! If you don't do fish you could really substitute any lean protein or even eggplant for a vegetarian option... go to www.foodnetwork.com and under the search type in salmon puttanesca it should come up! Hope you can use this!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I can't wait to try these!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just made lentil burgers last night
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Feta Cranberry Lentil Salad

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Feta-Cranberry-Lentil-Salad

Ingredients
    1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
    2 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon honey
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Directions
    In a small saucepan, combine the lentils, water and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and discard bay leaves. Rinse lentils in cold water.

In a large bowl, combine the lentils, cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over lentil mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
  • tangoterry
    tangoterry Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love lentils.
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    that sounds great!!!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I cut this recipe in half and use either pink or brown lentils. I add cayenne to make it spicy and serve with plain yogurt. You can stir in some kale to give it more texture. I serve mine with sauteed shrimp.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped onions
    1 tablespoon grated ginger
    salt
    black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 1/2 cups water
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups dried red lentils (used brown)
    3 bay leaves

Also used some green onion.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    People from India eat a lot of lentils... especially Northern India... & this is a base recipe you can use for most lentils:

1 tablespoon oil
    1/4 tsp cumin seeds
    1 chopped onion
    1 tsp chopped ginger
    1/2 diced tomato
    salt & red chillies

Put oil in a pan add the cumin seeds till they start sizzling, add the ginger & onions & saute till light brown, add tomatoes, saute a bit(about 2 mins), then add the lentils, salt, red chillies & water & cover to boil on medium fire for 15 mins & doneness.. If not done cook another 5-10 mins... add a dash pf freshly chopped coriander & serve.

On lentils one thing to note is.. if they are whole grains, you are better of soaking them overnight before cooking(makes them tender & you do not need to cook as long as when you do not soak them)

Note: I have found Mung lentils to be the most fortifying, have great nutritional value & cleansing for the stomach.

Have fun.

Suzie
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Lentil Ragu from BBC Good Food website. Yum!:happy:
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    Just found this one today....Cant wait to ty it :)

Lentils in Molasses
    Serves 4 to 6.
    Ingredients:
    2 cups lentils
    4 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    3/4 cup tomato paste
    3 tbsp. molasses
    2 tsp. sugar or honey
    1/2 tsp. ginger powder
    1/2 mustard powder
    1/2 chili powder
    1 tsp. black pepper
    salt to taste

Instructions:
    Cook lentils in water with bay leaf for 45 minutes, making sure that the lentil stay whole. When cooked, add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Simmer for another 15 minutes and then serve hot.
  • silvergrace
    Options
    Lentil Arugula Salad

1 container Arugula
    1 cup lentils - boiled in water til soft but with a bite
    1 small red onion - chopped fine
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoon red wine vineger
    1 teaspoon dijon mustard

Let the lentils cook a little( so that it doesn't totally wilt the arugula), Mix together the vinaigrette and red onion. mix everything together! This makes a very large bowl full. Serves 4. Calories 145 per serving.
  • HiJam
    HiJam Posts: 22
    Options
    MUJADRA is a comfort food at our house: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mujaddara-Arabic-Lentil-Rice/Detail.aspx

It's a middle-eastern dish and we serve it with a salad and side of yogurt sauce (fat-free, plain yogurt thinned with a few drops of water and add crushed mint and optionally crushed garlic).
  • sweetandsol
    sweetandsol Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tasty-Lentil-Tacos/Detail.aspx
    to make the taco salads....yummm
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cook lentils with brown rice, & barley when I can find it,, I use a little boullion... it does add salt, but balanced in your diet, you still get the lentils & brown rice quality food.