Alcohol choices...

Options
:drinker: Ok, I know that any alcohol consumption will slow down weight loss. However....if you DO plan to go out and have a few drinks, which is better - Wine or Liquor??

Replies

• clar1984
    clar1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on how much you are going to drink when you're out. I was a big fan of wine, until I realised that I would easily have 4 large glasses (basically a bottle) and it was upwards of 600 calories. Whereas I've recently been mixing liquor with diet coke or diet lemonade and having 4 drinks and thats only about 200 calories altogether (25ml UK measure, it's more with bigger measures). So liquor is better for me. But if you are just going to end up drinking twice or three times as many drinks with liquor in them then you won't see the difference in the calories.

But I also think it's fine to have a couple of drinks of whatever is your preference as long as it's not too frequently :)
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion of not doing it too often. I stay away from the drinks with syrup base. I stick with the juice base. White liquor instead of brown and wine is difficult for me because I tend to like the sweeter wine which I am sure has more sugar in it.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Since I've been healthier, vodka is the way I've gone. It's the liquor with the least amount of calories.. 64 per SHOT! eek! They also say it's better to sip on wine periodically through the week rather than consume all in one night. that's the way it is with food, though, too. I think you just need to enjoy yourself if you're gonna do. None of it's good, anyways. LOL! LIVE IT UP, GIRL! It's just one night.... just be sure to maybe only do it once or twice a month. : ) *which used to be a problem for me... i'd drink a 6 pack or more per night! what was I thinking?!!!*
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I am a beer and bourbon guy myself, but vodka and tonic or Sugar free red bull is a lower cal way to go. the thread "like minded lushes" has lot of good drink ideas also. :drinker:
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take shots!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    liquor doesn`t have any carbs in it, and your body does not metabolize alcohol into fat. So if all you do is drink liquor, you won`t put on any fat.

Dry wines are low carb, but sweet wine is higher in carbs. Consuming carbs with your alcohol will cause your body to store the carbs as fat since it will be using the alcohol as its primary source for fuel. Any food you consume with your alcohol will be stored as fat.

By that I mean, the late night burger after a night of heavy drinking will all turn to stored fat, 1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner won`t cause too many problems for your body.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My thing- if I'm drinkin, I'm dancin. (So as to burn some of those calories off).

I stick with vodka or rum, mixed with diet coke. (Skinny pirate, diet or coke zero and coconut rum is delish)

I think the thing about drinking, is once you do, you lower your resistance to either drinking more, or having a unhealthy meal/snack.

If anything, get a really good workout in, and then go out with the mindset that you are going to have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't do it feeling guilty or bad, otherwise, you might as well just stay home.

HAVE FUN. BE SAFE.
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    limit yourself to one drink. and sip and savor.
  • gracebonkov
    Options
    Moderation is the key. I go with vodka or gin with diet tonic water and a twist of lime.