protein in "one sitting"

Options
agdeierl
agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
I read somewhere a while back here on MFP that if you eat more than like 30 grams of protein at a time, your body will immediately store the rest as fat. Is this true? If so, I am concerned, as my 450 cal meal of chicken, brown rice, and peas has over 40 grams of protein total...

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I wondered that myself, but I did some reading and there are theories that lean both ways. But I did find a few articles that stated there is no proof that it is true.....
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering something similar. I always go over in protein, every day. What is the downside to this?
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here is a great link for an article on this if you are interested. Should give you a better idea.

http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Here is a great link for an article on this if you are interested. Should give you a better idea.

That's the same one I read a while back. I couldn't find it. Thanks!
  • dwithd
    dwithd Posts: 7
    Options
    Not true, although it is important to eat some carb with your protein (hence the presence of carbs in protein powders). If combined carbs will be used first as a source of energy and protein will be stored as lean mass, you would have to consume large amounts of protein to have it stored as fat. Think of it this way, in a serving of most protein powder is 52grams. Protein is your friends, sugar and carbs are your enemy and they must be eaten in moderation. Good luck!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Not true, although it is important to eat some carb with your protein (hence the presence of carbs in protein powders). If combined carbs will be used first as a source of energy and protein will be stored as lean mass, you would have to consume large amounts of protein to have it stored as fat. Think of it this way, in a serving of most protein powder is 52grams. Protein is your friends, sugar and carbs are your enemy and they must be eaten in moderation. Good luck!
    Take caution when telling people carbs are the enemy. Yes when burning fat, carbs in moderation is true. BUT many people take this to the extreme and consume NOT ENOUGH carbs.
    Carbs -complex carbs in the am partnered with fats and protein get your metabolism going.
    Carbs (fast acting) and lean fast acting protein is very important for muscle recovery from training especially postworkout.
    They work together in many ways... and yes the carbs will be used for energy, as will the fat if you are consuming the correct carbs and the protein will help in muscle recovery and building healthy lean mass....
    It's all about eating the "right" carbs at the right time....
    Lean proteins full of amino acids are very important in one's diet... unless you are consuming 100g of protein with NOTHING else.... then the body may not be sure what to do with it. But if protein is partnered appropriately, then you should be GOOD to GO. :-D
    Everything is about moderation for sure.
    SOrry to go on a tangent. My point was simply that people take things too literally and they need to know that carbs ARE infact important but should not be over done. But you have some excellent points.
  • dwithd
    Options
    Gotcha, I hope no one takes it to the extreme....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am over on protein nearly every day, and I have not stored any body fat because of it. I think it's silly to think that someone who eats less calories than they burn off will store ANYTHING as fat, whether it is carbs, protein, or fat.

My goal is to eat at least 138 g of protein per day (1 g per pound I weigh currently) which was suggested by both my personal trainer and my doctor/nutritionist once they grabbed a hold of my goals to lower body fat and increase lean muscle mass...and these "opinions" were certainly independant of one another.

I've also been slowly reducing my body fat and increasing muscle mass since Christmas.
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nonsense.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone! Yeah, I didn't think it made much sense and sounded pretty silly, but...what do I know?! haha.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

good article. thanks. there are so many nutrition myths out there. this being one of the most popular
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, in a serving of most protein powder is 52grams.

not sure where you got that, but most protein powders have a serving size equal to one scoop which is usually between 20-25 grams of protein

the 52 grams of protein per serving is just two scoops and is a marketing tactic by certain companies to make their product look like it has more protein per serving.
  • dwithd
    Options
    uuum!! 2 scoops is a suggested serving size so go back to your jar and look, it is not necessary that one takes 52g but my point was to respond to the 30g "myth". Do your homework. I personally take 1 scoop at a time because of my nutritional needs.