Healthy Cream based sauce????

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
Does one exist????

I am really looking for a good creamed pasta sauce with shrimp...

Replies

• cnflet2
    cnflet2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you could try making one yourself- with none of that added additives from the store ones.

make a basic rue sauce with flour, and fat free milk and then add grated or chunks of cheese to taste. thats what i use for mac and cheese. yummy
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I think healthy and cream based would be an oxymoron:-)

. Is there a particular reason you want to use a cream sauce? What about something simple like shrimp, tomato and garlic with parmesan? Very simply and really good!! Or wine based sauce instead? Or simple scampi?
  • surra
    surra Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't know if shrimp would be good with this, we've always used chicken, but this is my new favorite creamy sauce!!!

Creamy Avocado Pasta (I cannot claim this creation! This is thanks to http://ohsheglows.com)

Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients:

* 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
    * 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
    * 2-3 garlic cloves, to taste (I used 3 and it was quite garlicky, but if you are not a big fan of garlic use 1 clove)
    * 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    * ~1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
    * 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    * 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta (I used 3oz of spelt and 3 oz of Kamut spaghetti)
    * Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Please serve immediately.

I made 6oz of pasta and instead made 3 servings out of it instead of the 2 suggested.
    These are the numbers when you divide it into 3 servings
    404 calories
    50 carbs
    20 fat
    10 protein
    102 sodium
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    About a week or so ago I posted a recipe (in this section) that I tried for Fettuccine Alfredo from Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This cookbook. It was awesome!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    try that Philadelphia Cooking Cream. It comes in 4 flavors--original, garlic, southwest and italian herb. It has 140 cals per 1/4 cup which is enough for one serving. You mix it in with your shrimp and pasta or veggies, etc. One of my friends here on MFP uses it almost everyday. I saw it on her diary and decided to try it. I bought the italian herb. I have not used it yet, but I plan to mix it with chicken and pasta and veggies to make what I hope will be a yummy dish.
  • JessaLee1212
    Options
    if you go to eatingwell.com they have a whole category of recipes with cream sauces. most are pretty good :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Make a rue, add fat free milk, season it up (i'd use garlic and onion powder, pepper and a touch of salt), and the cheese of your choice.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I like to use Light Coconut Milk in place of cream in recipes. It gives it that nice thickening, while lightening up the sauce and it tastes great!
  • jjl731
    jjl731 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can make it with laughing cow cheese wedges , just look up laughing cow alfredo sauce, or Ragu makes a light Alfredo sauce that is pretty good, I add some garlic, salt & pepper....