Rest Days or Everyday???

Options
Hi there. Was just wondering....
Is it better to have rest days inbetween workouts, or is doing something everyday the best option?
I have over 150lbs to lose, so am happy to take things slow and steady, definately don't want saggy skin syndrome! But on the other hand, don't want weight loss to stall.
So, what do you guys reckon???
Cheers!
By the way, the exercise I'm doing at the moment is -
Mondays - 90 mins Aquarobics.
Wednesday - 45 mins Aquarobics
Friday - 90 mins in Gym, including cardio and strength training.
I'm limited by time and child care availability (aren't we all!)

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week ... and take one rest day. I did the 7 days straight thing for 2 weeks and I just felt sooo tired! Now my one off day is great and I bring it all the other days!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I work out usually 6 days a week, but will do 7 if I feel up to it. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing Cardio everyday, but strength training should only be done 3 days a week. If you feel like moving, do it!
  • garreltsnk
    Options
    I kind of rest on the week-ends. I do arobics for 10 on Sat & Sun. evenings, then walk 2 miles a day Mon-Fri. I seems to be okay. I have lost 8 lbs in 6 weeks. I am trying to go slow as will. I would like to loose 40 lb. I just don't want to do it all at once.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm doing every day. I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme & on the rest days I at least do a small workout. Like the 10 minute ab burner or something. Just to keep myself going. I have 2-4 foster children at all times (normally infants & toddlers) and I run a child care. I either get up early before everyone else or get it done during nap time. I make it my TOP priority! My longest workout is maybe 60 min. Most days are only around 35. That keeps it doable. When I used to try to do long workouts, I'd give up. Just couldn't commit to such a long time period.
  • jenlouthoman
    Options
    I think you are off to a great start! Even on the days you don't go to the gym to workout, you can still get in some light exercise by going for a walk with your kids or something like that. Just keep doing what you can and working hard!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    everyday for me but am doing a 10k so need it :smile:
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Was just wondering....
    Is it better to have rest days inbetween workouts, or is doing something everyday the best option?
    I have over 150lbs to lose, so am happy to take things slow and steady, definately don't want saggy skin syndrome! But on the other hand, don't want weight loss to stall.
    So, what do you guys reckon???
    Cheers!
    By the way, the exercise I'm doing at the moment is -
    Mondays - 90 mins Aquarobics.
    Wednesday - 45 mins Aquarobics
    Friday - 90 mins in Gym, including cardio and strength training.
    I'm limited by time and child care availability (aren't we all!)

6 days a week. I would keep what you are doing and add 30 min walking on the other days. Walking is one of the best exercises and you can take your children with in a stroller or if they are older they can bike/scooter. Spring is here - if you are able to walk to the park or around your neighborhood. Your kids will love the fresh air and being with you!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also have quite a bit of weight to lose. I met with a trainer at my gym and he set me up with a great 3 day set routine (day one is cardio and str training arms, day two is cardio and str train legs, day three is just cardio). I told him I was planning to come to the gym 6 days a week (I have kids too, and the kids club at my gym isn't open on Sundays), and asked if that would be a problem. He said that would be fine for like two weeks in a row, but suggested on every third week I only do my three day set once. Perhaps as I get in better shape, I will feel up to doing the gym six days a week all the time, but for now it's better to let my body get acclimated to being more active bit by bit. Now, I do have two little ones to keep up with every day, a mountain of house work, and I try to get in a little walk (only as long as my 4 year old can go since the baby needs the stroller and I don't have a double stroller) on days when I don't have any 'active' house work to do (I don't count doing dishes or general straitening up as 'active').

Hope this helps :)
    -Spayrroe
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    6 days for me....we all need at least 1 day rest. I only started off with 3 days though and gradually built up. And I agree, a walk on the inbetween ways is a fab way to go, easy and its suprising the amount of cals you can burn just by walking! I have Runkeeper app on my phone....try it, you'll be suprised im sure :bigsmile:
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5x a week. I take weekends off to be with and enjoy my family.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of rest. Rest doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing. I have AITP syndrome so my rest days are working in the garden, walking, hiking, running from big scary dogs, gar fishing and such.

Think active rest.

Looking at your schedule, I think Thursday would make a fine rest day, Saturday would be a good time for something like walking/jogging or what ever you enjoy.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days a week and really look forward to my one day off to let my body recover. I've been told off when I do 7 days for not giving myself repair time...and also just relaxing!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week. Since I started MFP in August, I have taken three or four days off total. Those were due to illness. I do not do the same thing everyday, but I like to do something everyday. So some days I run, some days I do a circuit training dvd and some days I walk.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I have one day where I can skip the gym...whether it's for sleeping in (I go to the gym at 4:15 am during the week) or to focus on weekend activities. I usually end up going to the gym 5-6 days a week. I think everyone needs one day off to let their body rest. I use a calendar to write a big "W" on the days I go to the gym. It is a physical reminder that I am making an effort toward my goals. Having a few days here or there that are empty on my calendar doesn't seem to bother me...it's all about balance, in my eyes!
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    Now that the nicer weather is here to stay (hopefully) I think I'll make a commitment to pick my kids up from school with out the car, especially on days when I can't make it to the gym. It's a 30 min walk, one way, so it should all add up. Just hope my 4 year old can keep up!
    Once again, cheers guys for your input!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I work out as often as I can usually do something most days even if its a long dog walk. What I would suggest is that you keep on mixing your exercise up so not doing the same exercise to many days in a row, that way the muscles are resting somedays even if you arent. Hope that makes sense
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I normally have 2 rest days a week, but I do quite high intensity workouts (quite, not very). I wouldn't have a rest day after swimming, but nor would I run 10k 2 days in a row. You have to take it from how you feel, I think. If I am itching to exercise (like I am most days) I do. If my body is telling me to take a break, I do that.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do Pilates on a Tuesday. Technically the other days are rest days but I still have the dogs to walk and house work so I am not sat doing nothing.

As my fitness has improved and my weight has gone down I have found that I want to sit around less as well.