question about exercise calories?

Options
Ok so most of us on here are burning lots and lots of calories during our workouts and we need to eat back those calories. Im having a hard time doing that so i was wondering what people are eating that gives you more calories without extra fats, carbs and sugars. i try to stay under those numbers if possible. i have added protein shakes but would like something with more substance. Just would like some new ideas. Thanks so much!

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    tbsp of peanut butter or a handful of nuts, an apple, or banana...
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. and why would I want to put the extra calories I just burned off back into my body.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I typically have a shake of some sore 'whey protein' is my choice. Its easier to drink my calories back rather than shovel food in my mouth, LOL
    Ok so most of us on here are burning lots and lots of calories during our workouts and we need to eat back those calories. Im having a hard time doing that so i was wondering what people are eating that gives you more calories without extra fats, carbs and sugars. i try to stay under those numbers if possible. i have added protein shakes but would like something with more substance. Just would like some new ideas. Thanks so much!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    spreading them out throughout the day is the best plan overall but in a crunch a handful of almonds/peanuts that are unsalted or add some greek yogurt in there will help lots.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas for snacks, but if you burn 500 calories or more...you need at least 200+ in something and those snacks aren't enough. They are GREAT snack choices though
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a fruit smoothie with protein powder when I'm having trouble eating my cals back. Peanut butter, unsalted nuts, and such are also great ways to fill in calories.
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    I hardly ever manage to eat all the extra calories earned doing exercise, plus i'm not that sure i have the right number of cals for my time on my Crazy Fit so i'm happy not to use what I think i've burned there...I seem to be consistent losing 1 pound a week and thats good. Would love it to be 2-3 lbs each week, but at least it's off rather than on...:wink:
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, nuts i always keep some cut up goodies in the fridge to munch on...crackers and cheese are good too....Granola bars...Yogurt, cottage cheese with crackers...But most of all nuts will prob help u out a bit more...Good luck
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    why would I want to put the extra calories I just burned off back into my body.

Check out the link in my sig.
  • pchatelle
    pchatelle Posts: 10
    Options
    You don't need to eat them back when you are trying to lose weight, your intake is to stop your body from thinking it is starving, plus the essential vitamins and protein. You don't want your body taking muscle mass to convert fat, the nutrition guide is very cool in that way if you notice, the protein requirements go up as you workout... cool huh?
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't want fat, sugar or carbs, there is only protein left, right?
    Don't be so afraid of fats, most people don't get enough fats to start with so any type of nut butter or nuts in general are a great choice. Similar for carbs, if you eat an apple it adds lots of carbs, 25g or so, but in all honesty, an apple is good eats after exercise.

I think the whole neurosis of OMG FAT, OMG CARBS got most people to be overweight. Go get some healthy fats, and in most cases it will actually accelerate your burn
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    i drink a whey shake on the days i workout and they are really filling so i usually dont eat anything for a while. i have nuts and pb. ill start using them more as fillers. Thanks so much.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    A lot of the high calorie healthy foods contain fat but they are healthy fats.

Some that aren't: fruit juice, dried fruit. Protein bars are good if you want a change from shakes.

Pure protein makes smaller bars that are between 180-200 calories. They make a Chocolate Peanut Butter that is really good. It has 6g of fat and 3 sat fat. Anything with high protein will have some fat in it. 16g carbs, 2g sugar (but contains sugar alcohols). It has 200mg sodium and 140mg potassium. (my fat % is set at 25% and I fit in a protein bar and a protein/milk drink and still come under each day). My ratios are 40/35/25.

You want the healthy carbs (fruits!). They give us the energy we need for the working out.
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    You don't need to eat them back when you are trying to lose weight, your intake is to stop your body from thinking it is starving, plus the essential vitamins and protein. You don't want your body taking muscle mass to convert fat, the nutrition guide is very cool in that way if you notice, the protein requirements go up as you workout... cool huh?

Thanks for your suggestions but im going to have to disagree with you. you definitely should eat them back. if you dont its like your only eating half of what you need that day. your body will hold onto every calorie it gets and store it because its not getting enough.
  • AnnieBerg
    AnnieBerg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had this conversation last night while I was excitedly showing him around MyFitnessPal. He kept asking, "But why are you eating so many calories if you want to lose weight?" A frustrated 10 minutes of trying to explain to him net calories vs starvation mode and I was ready to throttle him. He, having incredible self-control and will-power, can hold his calories down to a ridiculous number when he's trying to lose the pound or two that creeps up on him. Doesn't matter (to him) that he becomes grumpy, whiny, and hard to be around.

Good thing I love him or I'd have to add him to my meal plan as protein.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I could not disagree with you more, proper nutrition becomes all the more important when trying to lose weight, working out is not there to burn off the cals you already put on. Its purpose is to rev the metabolic rate and give you a greater daily burn overall. That statement is the exact reason why a lot of the women/men who are on the bare minimum daily intake stall out and have 0 gains/losses for weeks on end, they are starving their bodies of the fuel needed. You do not necessarily need to eat back all of them but you do need to maintain a net caloric intake above 1200 for women and 1500 for men.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    My husband and I had this conversation last night while I was excitedly showing him around MyFitnessPal. He kept asking, "But why are you eating so many calories if you want to lose weight?" A frustrated 10 minutes of trying to explain to him net calories vs starvation mode and I was ready to throttle him. He, having incredible self-control and will-power, can hold his calories down to a ridiculous number when he's trying to lose the pound or two that creeps up on him. Doesn't matter (to him) that he becomes grumpy, whiny, and hard to be around.

Good thing I love him or I'd have to add him to my meal plan as protein.
    lol this made me laugh.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas for snacks, but if you burn 500 calories or more...you need at least 200+ in something and those snacks aren't enough. They are GREAT snack choices though

An apple with Peanut Butter.. almost 200 cals!!
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    Zone perfect protein bars are AMAZING!