gah! damn you protein

Options
i've always had this problem, i am always too low with my protein and yet everything else is up to scratch... like today, i still have about 100 left for protein and yet my sugar and carbs are great and i'm over my cals (~50), sodium (~200) and fat (~30) but i can never seem to get my protein up no matter how hard i try... the only time i seem to be able to get it up at all is if i binge but obviously thats not the answer

does anyone have any tips? suggestions?

what i ate today - a salad and salami sandwich on multigrain bread (breakfast), 12 small crackers with tomato and cheese (lunch), and homemade lasagna with a side of salad (tea)

Replies

• obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    i've always had this problem, i am always too low with my protein and yet everything else is up to scratch... like today, i still have about 100 left for protein and yet my sugar and carbs are great and i'm over my cals (~50), sodium (~200) and fat (~30) but i can never seem to get my protein up no matter how hard i try... the only time i seem to be able to get it up at all is if i binge but obviously thats not the answer

what i ate today - a salad and salami sandwich on multigrain bread (breakfast), 12 small crackers with tomato and cheese (lunch), and homemade lasagna with a side of salad (tea)
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    try throwing in peanut butter, eggs, chicken, dairy products, beans, nuts, fish, turkey... make at least your breakfast high protein so that you keep off the hunger... Even though my profile doesn't say it (don't know why), I have already lost 7 pounds doing this in the last 2 months... I work out at least 4-5 days a week too though. But I think, even though carbs are important to me, protein keeps me from getting too hungry and it doesn't turn into fat as easily.
    Hope that helps!
  • xxmh123xx
    Options
    Try making a salad using tuna no mayonaise tuna has so much protein in it just read the label.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you can find or make your own peanut butter that's even better. If you can't, look for organic store brand peanut butter. The store organic brands are usually cheaper and sometimes better.
  • kylemarl
    Options
    Look for drinks with added protein. They usually also contain calcium, which of coarse we can all use too.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

1. choose a better meat. Salami is just processed fat and sodium, low in protien. Choose turkey,chicken,even roast beef. the lunch meats have sodium, but lots of protein.
    2. add a glass of milk, skim or 1% to a meal.
    3. add some 4% fat ground sirloin to the lasagna.

I found it is in the choices I make. I had to really think about it in the beginning, now it is habit.

Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try the "Bolt-House" (sp) drinks. You can find them at Walmart and most grocery stores in the produce section. They are loaded with protein and come in various flavors. Just becareful when you drink them because the calories on some are pretty inte99291.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counternse. They also have a combination of soy based and fruit based drinks. Hope this helps
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem, I always am close to my protien, if not over, but wayyyy below my carbs. I struggle my whole day finding the amount of carbs I need.
  • mhildreth66
    mhildreth66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find that getting my protein in is very easy. I had lapband surgery in March and that is the #1 thing that we have to ensure we are eating (or drinking) enough of. For females, my nutritionist/doctor has indicated that we are suppose to be taking in between 55-65 grams of protein a day. I always make sure I have my protein first and if i find myself a little short and really dont have many calories left for the day, Worldwide Pure Protein shakes do the deed for me. They have 35g of protein and my kind only has 170 calories. I drink 1/4 or 1/2 of the can and save the rest for the next day. If you like cottage cheese, that is a great source of protein and the Greek yogurt is as well. I think that is about the only thing I have down to a Science! :laugh: