Calories....

Options
Just a general question - on the calorie count thing - is the net supposed to be positive or negative?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    positive! although there is some debate,the running standard is that your net should never go below 1200.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you want your net to be right around your goal, net factors in what you've eaten less exercise, the difference between net and goals is what you have left for that days calories.
  • kabullard
    kabullard Posts: 41
    Options
    Positive at the end of the day. Your net is how many calories you've consumed for the day, minus any exercise calories. For example, my net should be 1,200 calories a day. If I burn 200 calories exercising, then it says my net is 1,000 (1,200NET-200burned) so I need to eat the 200 burned calories to reach the NET calories for the day!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    POSITIVE! :smile: If it's negative, that means you're not providing your body ANY fuel for normal day-to-day functioning. NOT a good idea...

You generally want your net calories at the end of the day to be close to your calorie goal setup by MPF.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Thanks guys - just check i got this right.....

I am supposed to eat 1,200 calories a day....I have burnt 817 calories.....and my net is 258.....so thats too low?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're following "the plan" as MFP gives you yes your net is way low. You've provided your body with under 300 calories to do everything that it does for you on a daily basis from digesting to breathing to pumping your blood and everything else it does.
  • Sweetlost
    Sweetlost Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I am supposed to eat 1,200 calories a day....I have burnt 817 calories.....and my net is 258.....so thats too low?

Yes, so you need to eat the 817 cals to be back at 1200 Net for the day. Anything below that will make your body to go into starvation mode becos of the lack of enough nutrients.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Yup! Eat up.... It won't kill you to eat a net under 1200 (even significantly under) every once in awhile, but you don't want to do it regularly. From now on, try to plan ahead and eat bigger breakfast/lunches/snacks on days you know you'll be working out, add in a bigger dinner/evening snack too. The more you spread your calories out, the easier it is to eat enough high-quality calories.

Think of more calorie-dense foods like avocado, nuts (and nut butters), hummus, beans, etc. if you need to get a good bit of calories in. Homemade smoothies can also pack a punch. I typically use a milk base (or almond milk) with some fresh fruit, uncooked oats, flax seed, peanut butter, and sometimes some cocoa powder and/or cinnamon. Delicious!
  • Hype
    Options
    Thanks everyone, think i finally understand this site haha
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Yes, so you need to eat the 817 cals to be back at 1200 Net for the day. Anything below that will make your body to go into starvation mode becos of the lack of enough nutrients.

Just to avoid any misconceptions - you will NOT immediately go into starvation mode or anything like that. It requires prolonged undereating. Eating too-few calories every once in awhile isn't a problem... it happens to most people occasionally. It just shouldn't be a habit. As a general rule, you should be working to keep your net calories at a reasonable level (which is typically considered to be 1200).
  • Hype
    Options
    Thanks! I shall bare this in mind for tomorrow :) its only been a couple of days i've been back so ill get it sorted!