Chantix...

Options
Hello everyone...I am considering getting a perscription for Chantix, the drug that helps you quit smoking. I checked past posts here on the boards and everyone says how well it works. What I didn't find any complaints about were the side effects. My sis is a doc and says the side effects seem pretty significant but that she will do more research since it is a "newer" drug. I know that the side effects outweigh my smoking habit (5-8 per day). I have had so much more success with weight loss... I have never tried to quit smoking because it just doesn't feel like a bad enough habit yet, but with the 15 I've lost I'm really motivated to just do this thing right and come full circle and kick this stinky habit. So my question is for those of you who have used Chantix (there's three pages of posts from you all!!!), what were the side effects like and why does this seem just too easy, too much of a miracle pill?!? I'm soooo curious....

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...I am considering getting a perscription for Chantix, the drug that helps you quit smoking. I checked past posts here on the boards and everyone says how well it works. What I didn't find any complaints about were the side effects. My sis is a doc and says the side effects seem pretty significant but that she will do more research since it is a "newer" drug. I know that the side effects outweigh my smoking habit (5-8 per day). I have had so much more success with weight loss... I have never tried to quit smoking because it just doesn't feel like a bad enough habit yet, but with the 15 I've lost I'm really motivated to just do this thing right and come full circle and kick this stinky habit. So my question is for those of you who have used Chantix (there's three pages of posts from you all!!!), what were the side effects like and why does this seem just too easy, too much of a miracle pill?!? I'm soooo curious....
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I've never taken Chantix, but I took Zyban (aka Wellbutrin) and I dealt with insomnia, anxiety, and unnatural amounts of energy... and I crashed hard when I stopped taking it.

WebMD says that, compared to Zyban:

The four-week continuous quit rates for the various treatments were:

* 48% for 1 mg Chantix twice daily
    * 37% for 1 mg Chantix daily
    * 33% for Zyban
    * 17% for the placebo

Sounds to me like there is some promise to it, and if nothing else, it deserves a bump. :smile:
  • pharmdaniel
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm a 4th year pharmacy student and I've counseled patients in the past about the common side effect of nausea with chantix and I think if memory serves right that its better to take it with a meal to reduce GI effects. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the drug so far.
  • donnagilmore
    Options
    Me and my ex both took it. I had great results. My ex on the other hand became very moody and VERY easy to get upset. I saw on tv that there are class action law suits on the drug due to suicides.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    With only 5-8 cigarettes a day, you would be able to cut down and quit SO easily. You really wouldnt need to take a drug to help you. I was a 20 a day smoker and quit cold turkey about 3 years ago now. It really wasnt that bad.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My best friend is on chantix. He gets an upset stomach if he doesn't take it with a meal or glass of milk.
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    I had trouble sleeping and really weird, vivid dreams. Worth the benefits.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 family members use that. One it worked great for, no problems. Two had to quit because of the "vivid" dreams. And One quit because he actually got one of the really rare side effects which was depression.

The vivid dreams are basically hallucinations that are nightmarish. My aunt described it as feeling like she was in alice in wonderland.

The depression is actually a fairly common side effect in men over age 30 that have been long term smokers and are trying to quit, but my cousins depression was bad enough that he wasn't just a bit blue, he was thinking thoughts beyond that.

Also there is a cash settlement available to former chantix users or chanitx user families if the patient committed suicide, developed severe depression or developed diabetes while on or just after being taken off of the chantix.

There is a good rule of thumb on NEW medicines approved by the FDA and that is to not let yourself be the human guinea pig. You should see if how long the drug has been approved for humans, if 10 years or more you are pretty safe to take it.

Oh, and for my other aunt, she quit smoking after 30 years, she had no problems.

And I had an uncle that took zyban, recommended because he had smoked for so long, zyban contains a little zoloft to help prevent the depresssion onset after long term smoking.

Good Luck, no matter what you need to quit that crap :wink:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My husband quit smoking after 30 some years, he used the patch and really didn't even use a whole pack. He hasen't smoked in over 5 years and he was a 2 pack a day smoker. I smoked for 31 years and I quit 2 years ago. I made a list of all the bad things that come with smoking and what I liked about it. Then I picked a week when I knew I wouldn't have a lot of stress(on vaccation) and quit more or less cold turkey. If I wanted a cigarett I just thought about why I wanted to quit and I have to say it wasn't really that hard.....
    I agree with what someone said bevore, a new drug is not neccesarily save even if it is approved by the FDA, remember all the weigh loss drugs they had to take off the shelfes because they were messing with peoples hearts, or the patch they have a warning on about blot clots when smoking.....
    My friend has a stroke because of smoking and using the pill and that was 30 years ago....
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was on Chantix for awhile. It does work...if you keep taking the pills. I'm really bad about remembering to take pills and then one night...well, I just went out and bought a pack and haven't taken any pills since. I plan to get another script for them soon and start back up.

I never really thought it would work for me. I'm sure it's different for everyone. Here's what it did for me while I was on it.

I got the starter pack and WHOAH! If I didn't eat something (a full meal, not just a granola bar or a piece of fruit), I was completely nauseous (horrible feeling). And this was just the starter pack (half the dosage of the regular). You start off by just smoking whenever you feel like it. You set yourself a "quit date" seven days after you start taking the pills. You start taking the full dosage after the second week. Once your quit date hits, you're supposed to quit all together. I didn't do that. I kept on smoking whenever I felt like it ('cuz I'm stubborn that way). But here's the thing...I was still smoking less anyway and it was because I just didn't even think about smoking. I didn't even realize how much I wasn't smoking for a few days. The thought of a cigarette just never entered my head and when it did, I would smoke. But that became less and less. By the end of the second month, I was down to one or two a day. The nausea gets less and less as time goes by too.

Then I bought a pack... And now I'm back and square one.

Anyway, this was my own personal experience with Chantix. I will be on it again. Other than the nauseousness, I don't remember suffering from any other side effects. *shrugs shoulders*

Good luck on finding what's right for you!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    DH and i took it to quit. we only took it for a month. he had no problems. i had some imsommia and very vivid dreams. we did quit fast and easy. within the month. we were both heavy smokers and for many years 30+. it is expensive and most insurance doesn't cover it.
    good luck.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Chantix, tried zyban, it was okay, but I didn't stay quit. I finally quit in May of this year. I am not saying this will cure you, but you should get the book Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking, really helps you get your mind wrapped around why you want to quit. It really helped me and I haven't cheated since I quit, not even one drag, nor do I crave it, or even want to anymore. I made a point of still doing the things I did before (like drinking) after I quit, so even when beer is involved, I would never smoke a cigarette. I know it sounds stupid to read a book to quit smoking but it does help.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I agree with Littlespoon! I was a pack and a half smoker...I quit COLD TURKEY just 6 months ago! I feel sooo much better now!! i know you can do it! :)
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    At 18, I began smoking and quickly went to a pack a day. I tried cold turkey, slowly down sizing, Nicorette, everything. And then Suddenly, I just didn't smoke anymore. I would have a few if partying with friends or during my art classes, but I never bought any. The last time I smoked anything was about a year ago.

Forcing myself to quit made me want it more and Nicorette made me want to kill people. So....that's it, I guess! You have to want it or no prescription will help.

:flowerforyou:
  • spazmother0727
    spazmother0727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I would love to get on Chantix, but my doctor refused to prescribe it because it can cause suicide... My co-worker said that it is so rare (her sister is a pharmacist and told her that). I have not smoked in 2-3 days due the bronchitis (smokers illness), TMJ pain and infected tooth. I figured why not try again. But, I could really go for a smoke.

I have seen so much success from Chantix and have not seen or heard from anyone (other than my doc) about the suicide ordeal. I have seen the law suits on TV, but who knows. Needless to say, there is no magic pill. No matter how long you have been smoke free the craving will always be there. Mike's pop (my boyfriend's father) he quit smoking by acupuncture. He said that if he was told he was going to die tomorrow he would buy a carton of his favorite smoke and smoke them all. He has been smoke free for about 10-15 years... maybe longer.

No matter how you quit I wish you the best of luck!
    Shari
  • littlespoon
    Options
    No matter how long you have been smoke free the craving will always be there.

I dont agree that everyone still craves it. I dont. It occasionally enters my head for about a third of a second, and then its gone.
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    With only 5-8 cigarettes a day, you would be able to cut down and quit SO easily. You really wouldnt need to take a drug to help you. I was a 20 a day smoker and quit cold turkey about 3 years ago now. It really wasnt that bad.

I agree, I smoked for 10yrs at a pack a day. When you are ready to quit, you will just do it. No drug can just 'make you quit' (in my opinion), you just have to want it.

On the other hand about chantix, my dad did go on it and quit for about 4 months (i think)...he started smoking again though, so the success was not long term. He didn't have any side effects at all though.

Good luck to you and I wish the best for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    No matter how long you have been smoke free the craving will always be there.

I dont agree that everyone still craves it. I dont. It occasionally enters my head for about a third of a second, and then its gone.

I agree with the idea that the cravings will still pop up. BUT what sets them apart from the cravings you get now and when you try to quit is that they are weaker and you have learned a different way to deal with those stress and the triggers.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of co-workers that had quit with the assistance of Chantix. One quit about a year ago and has not picked one up since. The other started smoking again about two months ago.

I've heard it said that it takes the average smoker 6 or 9 real tries to actually break the habit for good. Quitting is different for everyone. Chantix is just another tool to help you quit.