water

Options
mememe84
mememe84 Posts: 35 Member
Can too much water be bad for you i am currently drinking 6-7.5 litres a day and people keep telling me too much is bad for you. Can you help?

Replies

• dawnhite7778
    Options
    I heard it can be too. I would google it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you're sweating.... if you're sweating a normal amount, i was told don't exceed 5 gallons.. but I'm not sure the conversion.
  • DaveNix
    DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can kill yourself with too much water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/
  • mememe84
    Options
    I've just looked it up the most i am drinking is 1.64 gallon thats when i drink a full 7.5 litres hmm
  • roadbiscuit2000
    Options
    I don't know about drinking to much water being a bad thing, but I have heard of people dying from drinking too much water. In that instance they drank non-stop in a contest which most people would not normally do.
  • Smcnie
    Smcnie Posts: 12
    Options
    Blimey that sounds like an awful lot! I only drink about 3 - 3.5 litres on a good day, and a litre and a half of that is when Im exercising!! Do you feel that thirsty? There might be something else going on with your health if thats the case, might be worth a trip to your Dr if you are experiencing excessive thirst.
  • mememe84
    Options
    no i just drink as im watching tv or whatever i am doing and i dont really notice that i am doing it
  • LuvLeigh42
    LuvLeigh42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would go by what this site suggests. Good luck
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    there is such a thing as water intoxication. look it up.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You should not drink more than 1.5 quarts in an hour or 12 quarts in one day. 1 liter is roughly the same as one quart.

Too much water can lead to flushing out the sodium in your bloodstream, causing brain swelling.

My info comes from a Water Consumption Table given out to all Army SITs.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You should not drink more than 1.5 quarts in an hour or 12 quarts in one day. 1 liter is roughly the same as one quart.

Too much water can lead to flushing out the sodium in your bloodstream, causing brain swelling.

My info comes from a Water Consumption Table given out to all Army SITs.
    Jenni is right. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes, especially sodium and potassium. Our thirst reflex is designed to keep that balance in stasis, which is why you get thirsty when you eat salty foods. More salt - must have more water! More water = must have more salt!

Be safe and listen to your body. Take care.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just try to drink 8 glasses a day. That's all. Sometimes that's hard.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking that much because feel like you can't quench your thirst? Because that is one of the more easily noticable signs of Diabetes. (Not to scare you or anything)
  • mememe84
    Options
    Are you drinking that much because feel like you can't quench your thirst? Because that is one of the more easily noticable signs of Diabetes. (Not to scare you or anything)

no i just keep hold of the bottle and dont notice im drinking until i fill my bottle up again